Post-Game Talk: Wings play better but do not get result

Kyleftlx

twitter*****/kyle_ftl
May 9, 2010
Michigan!
Red Wings Fans: We need a right handed puck moving defenseman!
Holland: OK, I got Mike Green
Red Wings Fans: Holland sits around twiddling his thumbs

For what it's worth, Red Wings fans wanted a legitimate top line defenseman and preferred a right handed shot. Holland delivered on one of those requests. As a result, fans still want a defenseman and still feel like he isn't delivering.

With that being said, I'm not saying that the request is completely realistic.

I can't wait to watch the game tonight. I hope this is the game Howard can figure it out--- Detroit usually plays well against NY. Hope Pulkinnen stays in the lineup, and I hope Tatar can get it going so people shut up about him for a second.

Reddwit

Feb 4, 2016
So the answer is to increase his salary. Pay him a few more million a year, and he is guaranteed to improve his stats! Yay, problem solved! :help:

That's irrelevant. I'm merely pointing out that we aren't paying him to score. If anything, the salary he got is an indication that there were doubts about his production, be it due to stability/consistency or something else - most like how a small player will fair once he becomes a name.

Saying Tatar is being paid to score is like saying Deksyser is being paid to be our #2.

Reddwit

Feb 4, 2016
That logic is flawed. If we give him 10 mil a year he becomes a superstar?

Again, completely missing the point of my post. Regardless of how we view him, he isn't being "paid to score" right now. He's being paid to transition.

SoupGuru

May 12, 2007
Spokane
red wings fans: we need to improve our top pairing for the longterm
Holland, OK, I got mike Green for the 3rd pairing and signed him for 3 years and added Kindl for grand rapids
Red Wings Fans: Umm Kenny boy, you didnt address our needs

sorta like man I am starving,
here have a new pair of sunglasses
thats great but I am still very hungry

And that's fine if there are young top pairing puck moving defensemen growing on trees.

I mean, I'd love to have Suter and Doughty on my top pair and Karlsson and Jones on my second... for a couple of million a piece without giving up anything but a couple of second rate prospects.

There just aren't that many out there and the ones that do come to the market get paid.

I'm of the opinion that Holland is going to have more flexibility this trade deadline/off-season. There were too many important pieces before and he wasn't going to trade them away on a chance. And now Tatar and Nyquist haven't been quite the important pieces we thought they were, and with Larkin taking the league by storm...

SoupGuru

May 12, 2007
Spokane
Again, completely missing the point of my post. Regardless of how we view him, he isn't being "paid to score" right now. He's being paid to transition.

No, you're the one completely missing the point of paying somebody. You pay someone in return for a service or good. If Tatar is getting paid five dollars or five million dollars, what are you getting in return? What does Tatar do on the ice that earns him a paycheck? He's one dimensional. He's supposed to finish plays.

Glendening gets paid to win faceoffs, kill penalties, and piss people off
Abdelkader gets paid to piss people off, stand in front of goalies, and pot garbage goals.
Helm gets paid to kill penalties, provide energy, and forecheck

Tatar gets paid to _________, _________, and _________.

Reddwit

Feb 4, 2016
No, you're the one completely missing the point of paying somebody. You pay someone in return for a service or good. If Tatar is getting paid five dollars or five million dollars, what are you getting in return? What does Tatar do on the ice that earns him a paycheck? He's one dimensional. He's supposed to finish plays.

Glendening gets paid to win faceoffs, kill penalties, and piss people off
Abdelkader gets paid to piss people off, stand in front of goalies, and pot garbage goals.
Helm gets paid to kill penalties, provide energy, and forecheck

Tatar gets paid to _________, _________, and _________.

How can I miss the point of my own post? Yes, Tatar is obviously getting paid to play the game of hockey, which involves scoring. There's no need to devolve into making such obtuse comments. But Tatar is making less than $3M. Implicit in the bridge contract that he signed is doubt. It's a "maybe he will, maybe he won't." And if he keeps playing the way he has been, he won't get fat money as an RFA.

Everyone having their panties in a wad about Tatar is a testament to how hyped up people get about young players who have a few productive years. Tatar wouldn't be the first person to shine bright and burn out after the league got the book on him. He might do that, he might not.

Unless you want to engage in a literalist battle, everyone knows what "getting paid to score" means. And Tatar isn't a hired gun like that. He's a supplemental scorer that we'd like to see rise to the occasion.

obey86

Jun 9, 2009
The Wings need to start playing Jurco and AA more than 9 minutes a game.

Henkka

Jan 31, 2004
Tampere, Finland
How can I miss the point of my own post? Yes, Tatar is obviously getting paid to play the game of hockey, which involves scoring. There's no need to devolve into making such obtuse comments. But Tatar is making less than $3M. Implicit in the bridge contract that he signed is doubt. It's a "maybe he will, maybe he won't." And if he keeps playing the way he has been, he won't get fat money as an RFA.

Everyone having their panties in a wad about Tatar is a testament to how hyped up people get about young players who have a few productive years. Tatar wouldn't be the first person to shine bright and burn out after the league got the book on him. He might do that, he might not.

It's just too obvious, that Tatar was a heart-and-soul guy, when he was earning what 670k(?) and playing for that next contract. He was also heart-and-soul guy, playoff MVP, when he wanted out from AHL for bigger NHL bucks.

Now, currently, he is earning 2.7M and guy looks satisfied. Heart-and-soul gone. I can almost say same about Nyquist. Relative to caphit, Nyquist is probably worse, but I see less attitude problem on him. More of pressure about the demands he should be, 3rd best offensive player on the team.

This Tatar case will remind me of Jiri Hudler. Point-scoring and 100% every-night-effort interested only on contract years. That talks about an attitude problem. Maybe Tats isn't an "everydayer", like Babcock used to use that word. He has too many 0-1 scoring attempts night on my eye-test data, when others do their duty. Many good games mostly, but also total disappearings.

WHOM MUCH IS GIVEN, MUCH IS EXPECTED. That reads on the top of their lockerroom door. That's what we fans demand and pay your paychecks for this entertainment sport.

Last edited:

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad