Proposal: Wings-Oilers

McSuper

5-14-6-1
Jun 16, 2012
Halifax
And plays with McDavid.......why is this forgotten.

You think Larkin couldn't produce with McDavid??

Fans alway post this crap . Hall could not produce with McDavid . Now Larkin who has never played a game with McDavid is a lock to ? As for he plays with McDavid , why is this used as a negative ? As mention Hall couldn't do it , Eberle couldn't do it and yet everyone throws out he does it with McDavid and forget the fact year 1 he played C , year 2 he played RW for McDavid but took most of the FO , Year 3 he played 48% of the time with McDavid and 52% of the time centring his own line so intact he played just over 1/2 the time away from McDavid

Dan Kelly

Sep 27, 2017
^hey don't spoil a good troll ! Leon will also center his own line full time next season, that decision has been made. and yes indeed why is it a negative that he's been productive when he played with McDavid? because opposing team's fans want to believe their guy is better than Leon and that he only gets points playing with a super talented guy like McDavid. i guess that's why so many opposing teams fans make so many proposals to get him on their team? :sarcasm: ;)

Reactions: 780il

rent free

Apr 6, 2015
red wings won't do this for sure. larkin is the local michigan kid and the face of the franchise. he will also make less than what drai is making now while not playing with the best young nhl player in the league.

thadd

Oil4Life
Jun 9, 2007
Canada
... what would Edmonton need to add...?

Detroit doesn’t have the pieces to pull Draisaitl. He is not available, not even for something like Larkin+6th overall+ We absolutely can’t lose him and we can’t downgrade.

Can you imagine if PC was actually crazy enough to downgrade on Drai? Really, what would the Oilers be? We'd have the best player in the world, yet I'd feel like we were in the bottom of the endless pit again.

ChaoticOrange

Jun 29, 2008
Edmonton
Fans alway post this crap . Hall could not produce with McDavid . Now Larkin who has never played a game with McDavid is a lock to ? As for he plays with McDavid , why is this used as a negative ? As mention Hall couldn't do it , Eberle couldn't do it and yet everyone throws out he does it with McDavid and forget the fact year 1 he played C , year 2 he played RW for McDavid but took most of the FO , Year 3 he played 48% of the time with McDavid and 52% of the time centring his own line so intact he played just over 1/2 the time away from McDavid

And played with a rusty VW beetle and an actual orange traffic cone away from McDavid - but hey Leon’s paid a bit too much so literally everyone > Draisaitl, even guys that don’t bring half of his intangibles or score anywhere near as much at evens.

drw02

Aug 10, 2013
This is closer than some seem to think imo. Drai obv has offensive edge, but also stats skewed some playing wing with McDavid a lot. Think Larkin is the better all around player, and likely will cost roughly 2M less. Either way, both teams are more than happy with their guy and respectfully decline.

Reactions: eviohh26

ChaoticOrange

Jun 29, 2008
Edmonton
This is closer than some seem to think imo. Drai obv has offensive edge, but also stats skewed some playing wing with McDavid a lot. Think Larkin is the better all around player, and likely will cost roughly 2M less. Either way, both teams are more than happy with their guy and respectfully decline.

Without getting too accusatory, what makes you think Larkin is better all around? Because I think when you bring intangibles into this mix it’s Draisaitl in a runaway.

zar

Bleed Blue
Sponsor
Oct 9, 2010
Edmonton AB
^hey don't spoil a good troll ! Leon will also center his own line full time next season, that decision has been made. and yes indeed why is it a negative that he's been productive when he played with McDavid? because opposing team's fans want to believe their guy is better than Leon and that he only gets points playing with a super talented guy like McDavid. i guess that's why so many opposing teams fans make so many proposals to get him on their team? :sarcasm: ;)

But then the HF geniuses will turn their narrative that McDavid draws all of the tough D coverage and Draisaitl gets to draw all of the secondary D... he is still not a #1C. It will be a never-ending useless debate on these boards unless McDavid is injured for half a season and Draisaitl has to play be the #1C on the Oilers... basically what LD did a couple years ago when Connor went down to injury... or when Leon took the bull by the horns in the Anaheim series in 2017... but hey, those are small sample sizes. The argument is futile.

I hope we never have to see the days that 97 is out for half a season... and Leon Draisaitl is not available... we do not want to trade him. The only condition to that statement is if we are in a position for a bonafide #1 RHD with term... which I highly doubt is ever going to be on the table... no team ever gives those up.

Reactions: 780il

The Zetterberg Era

Ball Hockey Sucks
Nov 8, 2011
Ft. Myers, FL
Without getting too accusatory, what makes you think Larkin is better all around? Because I think when you bring intangibles into this mix it’s Draisaitl in a runaway.

Larkin has the hallmarks of a big time 200 foot player. He took the toughest matchups most night last year, i.e. checking McDavid he has also been put in that role in back to back World Championships. He is a plus pk guy, has showed considerable improvement in the faceoff circle and is very likely the next captain of the team while being the captain of the development program over guys like Eichel. He has a ton of intangibles.

Draisaitl is simply a more gifted player for me. His vision and hands are incredibly superior. I don't mean that as a huge slight to Larkin, Draisaitl is one of the more gifted playmakers in the world. You can be an all-star and franchise caliber player and have to concede others are substantially better at elements. But if Larkin gets a little more disciplined and a little more center drive to his game he is a player you don't want to play because he will be a matchup center in the selke conversation at some point if he continues to develop on that side of the puck correctly.

Larkin had a tremendous year on a bad team. He is still rounding out his game. The Wings are just extremely unlikely to move him. Every player has a price, but nobody is going to like the price the Wings are likely to place on Larkin. It can be a drastic overpayment, they don't want to move him and they need him especially in the next couple years of the bumpy rebuild to be the face of the team as Zetterberg rides off into the sunset and that is important. Draisaitl would score more, our PP would improve but we would be a bad team with microphones shoved in his face asking him if he really cares or is excited to get to the World Championships. Larkin buys the Wings franchise a lot of currency. You can question whether or not that is wise. I totally get that and hey this is a business, but it is absolutely a part of his price tag when you call Detroit. So people should know when putting his name down he is over priced for what he is. Even if I expect him to be a mainstay #1 C in Detroit, he does have things to work on and round out so his value isn't really as high as it is for any other team in my opinion.

Talking to Wings fans on Larkin is probably a lot like talking to Canucks fans on Horvat. He is the one player you are totally sure of on your current team. Though the Nucks probably have Boeser there now too, Mantha is our cross there in terms of difficult to move but I wouldn't be totally shocked. Anyway, we need to fix a lot, but Larkin is a piece maybe the only true piece that all of us have bought in on moving forward.

Reactions: TFHockey

ChaoticOrange

Jun 29, 2008
Edmonton
Larkin has the hallmarks of a big time 200 foot player. He took the toughest matchups most night last year, i.e. checking McDavid he has also been put in that role in back to back World Championships. He is a plus pk guy, has showed considerable improvement in the faceoff circle and is very likely the next captain of the team while being the captain of the development program over guys like Eichel. He has a ton of intangibles.

Draisaitl is simply a more gifted player for me. His vision and hands are incredibly superior. I don't mean that as a huge slight to Larkin, Draisaitl is one of the more gifted playmakers in the world. You can be an all-star and franchise caliber player and have to concede others are substantially better at elements. But if Larkin gets a little more disciplined and a little more center drive to his game he is a player you don't want to play because he will be a matchup center in the selke conversation at some point if he continues to develop on that side of the puck correctly.

Larkin had a tremendous year on a bad team. He is still rounding out his game. The Wings are just extremely unlikely to move him. Every player has a price, but nobody is going to like the price the Wings are likely to place on Larkin. It can be a drastic overpayment, they don't want to move him and they need him especially in the next couple years of the bumpy rebuild to be the face of the team as Zetterberg rides off into the sunset and that is important. Draisaitl would score more, our PP would improve but we would be a bad team with microphones shoved in his face asking him if he really cares or is excited to get to the World Championships. Larkin buys the Wings franchise a lot of currency. You can question whether or not that is wise. I totally get that and hey this is a business, but it is absolutely a part of his price tag when you call Detroit. So people should know when putting his name down he is over priced for what he is. Even if I expect him to be a mainstay #1 C in Detroit, he does have things to work on and round out so his value isn't really as high as it is for any other team in my opinion.

Talking to Wings fans on Larkin is probably a lot like talking to Canucks fans on Horvat. He is the one player you are totally sure of on your current team. Though the Nucks probably have Boeser there now too, Mantha is our cross there in terms of difficult to move but I wouldn't be totally shocked. Anyway, we need to fix a lot, but Larkin is a piece maybe the only true piece that all of us have bought in on moving forward.

Good read, thank you.

Again, my major point in this is pretty much everything you mention - 200 foot game, tougher defensive assignments - Draisaitl is excellent there already. Even when playing with McDavid, he takes the draws and usually takes the centre’s traditional defensive assignments. He’s better offensively which pretty much everyone agrees on. He’s already 56% on faceoffs and he’s only one year older than Larkin. Everything you’re hoping Larkin will be, Draisaitl is already.

Now sure you can make the argument that Draisaitl hasn’t proven he’s a full time all around 1C yet. How’s he supposed to? McDavid is the best in the world.

Draisaitl drastically improved his production away from McDavid and makes everyone around him better.

World Championships are pretty limited in value for me. Most of the North American guys don’t care at all, but if you’d like another barometer there, Drai had 9 points in 7 games and was 63% on faceoffs playing as Germany’s #1 C. GERMANY. With a gun to my head I couldn’t name another three forwards on that team. There’s that AHLer Chicago signed... and um... is Marcel Goc still doing stuff?

Is Draisaitl overpaid? Probably, yes, a bit. Maybe by 750k to a million. In the grand scheme of things it doesn’t matter. It’s not costing you anything.

I get liking your own player and wanting to keep him which it looks like we’re both happy to do, but I think outside of our respective fan bases most would agree Drai is the better and more valuable player.

The Zetterberg Era

Ball Hockey Sucks
Nov 8, 2011
Ft. Myers, FL
Good read, thank you.

Again, my major point in this is pretty much everything you mention - 200 foot game, tougher defensive assignments - Draisaitl is excellent there already. Even when playing with McDavid, he takes the draws and usually takes the centre’s traditional defensive assignments. He’s better offensively which pretty much everyone agrees on. He’s already 56% on faceoffs and he’s only one year older than Larkin. Everything you’re hoping Larkin will be, Draisaitl is already.

Now sure you can make the argument that Draisaitl hasn’t proven he’s a full time all around 1C yet. How’s he supposed to? McDavid is the best in the world.

Draisaitl drastically improved his production away from McDavid and makes everyone around him better.

World Championships are pretty limited in value for me. Most of the North American guys don’t care at all, but if you’d like another barometer there, Drai had 9 points in 7 games and was 63% on faceoffs playing as Germany’s #1 C. GERMANY. With a gun to my head I couldn’t name another three forwards on that team. There’s that AHLer Chicago signed... and um... is Marcel Goc still doing stuff?

Is Draisaitl overpaid? Probably, yes, a bit. Maybe by 750k to a million. In the grand scheme of things it doesn’t matter. It’s not costing you anything.

I get liking your own player and wanting to keep him which it looks like we’re both happy to do, but I think outside of our respective fan bases most would agree Drai is the better and more valuable player.

Huge fan of Draisaitl, a lot of the people from the Wings board can tell you that in terms of I had him as my top forward in his draft year heading into the draft and talk about him in our out of town thread from time to time. I know what he is and I have said he is better. I think the very few areas/matchups that would limit him defensively are going to be covered by separating him and McDavid with Connor checking those guys so it isn't a big worry. Larkin because of his speed and really compete level has bigger defensive upside. I will stand by that, but he is unlikely to be a better player than Draisaitl and Leon should always have slightly more value in terms of just pure player value.

Of course what the Wings are looking for is the Draisaitl compliment to Larkin. Trading one to get the other doesn't do a whole lot unfortunately. In that sense this also hurts the Oilers. Draisaitl and McDavid can split to handle certain matchups or come together to overpower them. I am not sure Larkin and McDavid would work the same way, they are both speed merchants sure, but you want flexibility and versatility in your lineup. In that regard I have always understood the Draisaitl and McDavid duo the Oilers have chosen to build around. I think it makes sense, some of the other pieces compiled have been wrong, but the two anchor foundation pieces the Oilers have invested in up front are awesome. They had a bad year, the Oilers shouldn't panic.

Also until we know the actual contact Larkin gets and we should know that pretty soon it is really tough to have player value arguments here. Since neither player is likely to be moved it is really a value conversation on Larkin at 6.5 long-term has an interesting debate but he might come in higher than that we just don't know yet.

Reactions: TFHockey

Dan Kelly

Sep 27, 2017
red wings won't do this for sure. larkin is the local michigan kid and the face of the franchise. he will also make less than what drai is making now while not playing with the best young nhl player in the league.

Again opposing teams fans insinuate he only produces because of McDavid. I hope it makes other teams fans feel better to say that because Leon is more than capable of being a top scorer on his own and has already shown that in his time in the NHL. But continue to spew this BS if it makes you feel better and makes you feel like your top player is better.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad