GDT: Wings @ Kings 10:30 EST

raymond23

:o
Sponsor
Sep 28, 2017
Grand Rapids, MI
Bertuzzi has turned into quite the player. It’s been a pleasure to watch him develop. His hockey iq is through the roof.

Also Mantha has a 5 game point streak. Larks with points in 4 straight.

They are doing this while being completely keyed in on as well. Nothing but love for those dudes, they are playing their asses off each and every shift. I can’t wait until we inject some more talent in the lineup and we get to watch these guys lead them to the playoffs. It’s going to be awesome

TheOtherOne

Jan 2, 2010
Update on the leading candidate for the Riley Sheahan Memorial Trophy:

Frans Nielsen

17 Games Played 0 Goals 0 Assists -6 +/-

Cap hit = $5.25 million

EDIT: I forgot to add that there's 2 more years on Nielsen's deal. Of the forwards, he's second only to Larkin in term and cap hit.
At least he is killing it in shootouts

Reactions: Konnan511

Rzombo4 prez

May 17, 2012
Bertuzzi has turned into quite the player. It’s been a pleasure to watch him develop. His hockey iq is through the roof.

They are doing this while being completely keyed in on as well. Nothing but love for those dudes, they are playing their asses off each and every shift. I can’t wait until we inject some more talent in the lineup and we get to watch these guys lead them to the playoffs. It’s going to be awesome

He is without question the smartest player on our team and is the perfect example of a sum-of-the-parts player. I absolutely love the kid.

Gyldenlove

Jun 10, 2013

Absolutely, the guy is playing hockey at a very high level. I was not particularly enthused when we drafted him but I am ready to eat a full serving of crow on that account, he is looking excellent out there.

Gniwder

Oct 12, 2009
Bellingham, WA
Sounds like the player's fault, not our defensive system
It's still on the coaches either way. Blash needs to fix it.

If a defenseman gets burned, then he gets burned. Really getting sick of seeing wide open guys score. They need to play a system.

Also, Cholo playing much better now, he's taking the body instead of shying away from contact. He's making progress.

Winger98

Feb 27, 2002
Cleveland
Bowey's play should look familiar to anyone accustomed to watching Jensen and Brendan Smith. Jensen was able to dumb his game down to the point of being a serviceable player, Bowey needs to start making that adjustment. Weirdly, I think we saw a bit of that a few games ago when he played on his offside for the first time. as he gets comfortable again the stupid slips back in.

Rzombo4 prez

May 17, 2012
Bowey's play should look familiar to anyone accustomed to watching Jensen and Brendan Smith. Jensen was able to dumb his game down to the point of being a serviceable player, Bowey needs to start making that adjustment. Weirdly, I think we saw a bit of that a few games ago when he played on his offside for the first time. as he gets comfortable again the stupid slips back in.

Bowey's puck management and movement is exponentially better than both Smith's or Jensen's. It really isn't very close. I think he still has some issues reading the play in the defensive zone but he is not nearly as bad as some are making him out to be. I will give you that Jensen reads the play defensively much better than Bowey and is quicker to take away time and space. Jensen would still be with us, however, if he could consistently complete a 10ft pass.

I know that I am in the minority here, but I have a lot of time for Bowey as a bottom-pair defensemen. He has made his share of mistakes but has been more good than bad, especially as of late.

lomekian

Oct 28, 2013
London
Jensen was never that stupid, but took a while to work out that what worked so well in college hockey didn't fly at the top level unless you are super skilled. Bowey is almost as skilled as Smith and almost as stupid. Happily a lot cheaper, and seems like a very enthusiastic and likeable character. Smith is probably the better D-man, but at 4 times the salary. Either way, both are bottom pair rovers, who need a steady partner or they get exposed as hell, and Bowey isn't skilled enough for the risk/reward to be worth it on a competing team. As as stop gap guy on a tank team where developing the kids is better than winning games, he's fine - if he ever gets any real hockey sense he can be a decent #5 or #6, and if he doesn't he'll be gone in a couple of years and will have helped us to better pick. At least he seems to stay fit...

Gniwder

Oct 12, 2009
Bellingham, WA
Bowey's puck management and movement is exponentially better than both Smith's or Jensen's. It really isn't very close. I think he still has some issues reading the play in the defensive zone but he is not nearly as bad as some are making him out to be. I will give you that Jensen reads the play defensively much better than Bowey and is quicker to take away time and space. Jensen would still be with us, however, if he could consistently complete a 10ft pass.

I know that I am in the minority here, but I have a lot of time for Bowey as a bottom-pair defensemen. He has made his share of mistakes but has been more good than bad, especially as of late.
I beg to differ on the puck management. He forces passes through traffic. That's not gonna work in the NHL.

Also, he just doesn't seem to realize that he's a defenseman. Can't let guys without the puck skate by and get behind him. Seems way too focused on the puck.

Puck chasing is an overall problem with this team. It's gotta stop. If it doesn't then fire Blash.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad