Confirmed with Link: Wings have signed Ouellet to a one-year contract extension

sean3250

Feb 7, 2015
He had 1 less goal in 3x less games then Dion "The Amazing Shot" Phanuef.

He was on pace for somewhere near 10 goals. He probably would have hit 5 easily. He also had 1 less or the same amount of goals in 2x or 3x less games then alot of defenders people were asking for at the trade deadline.

There's no comparison between Phaneuf and Ouellet. Phaneuf is much better than Ouellet will ever be. Phaneuf had a bad year last year, but has already bounced back with 11 points in 18 games so far this year. Which happens to be much better than anyone on our blueline.

In 133 AHL games Ouellet has 36 points. 6 of those points were goals. That's a .27 PPG, and .05 GPG. He has received PP time also. Those numbers are absolutely terrible. His 3 points in 25 NHL games isn't impressive at all either. That along with his below average skating suggest a bottom paring defender, imo.

SpookyTsuki

Dec 3, 2014
There's no comparison between Phaneuf and Ouellet. Phaneuf is much better than Ouellet will ever be. Phaneuf had a bad year last year, but has already bounced back with 11 points in 18 games so far this year. Which happens to be much better than anyone on our blueline.

In 133 AHL games Ouellet has 36 points. 6 of those points were goals. That's a .27 PPG, and .05 GPG. He has received PP time also. Those numbers are absolutely terrible. His 3 points in 25 NHL games isn't impressive at all either. That along with his below average skating suggest a bottom paring defender, imo.

Ouellet was on pace for 15 to 20 points when he got games. Just like every year in grand rapids. As long as he can do that and play good in the dzone, He can play on the 2nd pair on this team.

Just facts man

TheOtherOne

Jan 2, 2010
when Ouellet has played he has shown that hes better then Kindl, Smith and sometimes other defenders.

He has?

With what, his 3 points in 21 games? Or his 0 points the previous year?

That was roughly Cleary's pace those years too...

Aug 6, 2012
He has?

With what, his 3 points in 21 games? Or his 0 points the previous year?

That was roughly Cleary's pace those years too...

Remember when Brendan Smith scored 7 points in his first 14 game stint or something like that? I hope we evaluate a rookie defenseman, who's not nor ever will be known for his offensive prowess, on point production alone.

TheOtherOne

Jan 2, 2010
He might be better than Kindl and Smith. I'm just wondering what he's ever done in the NHL that "has shown that he's better than Kindl and Smith". It's not his 3 points so what was it?

Winger98

Feb 27, 2002
Cleveland
He might be better than Kindl and Smith. I'm just wondering what he's ever done in the NHL that "has shown that he's better than Kindl and Smith". It's not his 3 points so what was it?

I think he's less prone to brain farts, makes a solid pass, and is willing to pay the price to make the play. A bigger part, though,is that Kindl and Smith are just so mediocre that throwing a kid in there and seeing what he has doesn't seem to have much of a downside.

Number1RedWingsFan52

Mar 17, 2013
Winter Haven Florida
Think with this and Abbys contract Quincy is more than likely not re-signed this offseason. I'm sure he'll get a contract somewhere.

That's pretty much a gimme on the open market Q could get around $4.5 million on a 4 year deal at last and we still have to resign DeKeyser and he will most likely get something around $4-$4.5 million per long term bottom line without moving out another expensive D like Big E I can't see any way of Q coming back.

Henkka

Jan 31, 2004
Tampere, Finland
I predict we'll see Marchenko send down and Ouellet called up at same at some point of the season. This is the Nyquist/Tatar situation from defence and that's how Holland operates. He splits the duty. Marchenko will probably be extended also soon. He's doing solid job.

Both will NHL regulars at next season when they lose their waiver eligibility.

Flowah

Nov 30, 2009
I think he's less prone to brain farts, makes a solid pass, and is willing to pay the price to make the play. A bigger part, though,is that Kindl and Smith are just so mediocre that throwing a kid in there and seeing what he has doesn't seem to have much of a downside.

That's my thinking.

If the players are about equal with no real standouts, then go with the one that has room to grow. It's not like either Kindl or Smith are models of consistency back there as you would expect from a veteran. Maybe Ouellet surprises. Kindl/Smith are more likely not to.

Retire91

Stevey Y you our Guy
May 31, 2010
I predict we'll see Marchenko send down and Ouellet called up at same at some point of the season. This is the Nyquist/Tatar situation from defence and that's how Holland operates. He splits the duty. Marchenko will probably be extended also soon. He's doing solid job.

It shouldn't require loosing waiver eligibility for them to play when there are players on the roster not getting it done and showing no signs of growth but you are right that is how Holland rolls.

The Zermanator

In Yzerman We Trust
Jan 21, 2013

Kronwall
Green
DeKeyser
Ericsson
Smith
Kindl

And also Quincey if somehow re-signed. Gonna have to find a way to dump at least one of Smith and Kindl, both if Quincey is signed. He hasn't been able to do it yet, worried we may lose Marchenko to waivers.

Henkka

Jan 31, 2004
Tampere, Finland
Kronwall
Green
DeKeyser
Ericsson
Smith
Kindl

And also Quincey if somehow re-signed. Gonna have to find a way to dump at least one of Smith and Kindl, both if Quincey is signed. He hasn't been able to do it yet, worried we may lose Marchenko to waivers.

Not worried at all. Smith and Kindl are as good as gone at next season.

I'd like to see Quincey re-signed if he is as good after the injury as he was at start of the season.

Hammettf2b

oldmanyellsatcloud.jpg
Jul 9, 2012
So California
Anyone who says skating isn't an issue is lying. It's his biggest problem, and is definitely holding him back. He has NO offensive game to speak of. He's been absolutely terrible offensively at the pro level.

He's a 3rd pairing guy at best. He's a guy who will stick around in the pros a little longer than he should have thanks to Ken Holland.

I've been saying this for a while now. I think his skating needs to improve a lot.

SpookyTsuki

Dec 3, 2014
Kronwall
Green
DeKeyser
Ericsson
Smith
Kindl

Maybe Holland will have the balls to to finally waive one of them. I think a year further and them actually playing a bit better will help that contract, and are able to be traded.

Smith could potentially play forward 2. He obv likes it more.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad