Confirmed with Link: Wings have signed Ouellet to a one-year contract extension

Tatar Shots

Feb 2, 2014
Weird that this is signed before he even plays any games this year. My guess is 1 year 750,000.

SpookyTsuki

Dec 3, 2014
They probably plan on bringing him up. He's still a 50/50 bust due to not improving his skating ability.

Bro calm down on the skating thing. He is a smart player so he rarely will need to have amazing skating to get back to stop a scoring chance.

It's not like he falls down everytime he goes a step forward. His "bad" skating is a pretty stupid statement for him not being up over Kindl/Smith right now

Dotter

THE ATHLETIC IS GARBAGE
Jul 2, 2014
Imprisonment, TN
goo.gl
Bro calm down on the skating thing. He is a smart player so he rarely will need to have amazing skating to get back to stop a scoring chance.

It's not like he falls down everytime he goes a step forward. His "bad" skating is a pretty stupid statement for him not being up over Kindl/Smith right now

Yes, in the AHL his hockey IQ has been above average against his peers. His skating hasn't been a complete failure, but there is room for major improvement.

Give him 30 or 40 games in the NHL and I think people here will get a better clue on what I am really talking about. Will he be a less physical, more conservative Lashoff? Jury is still out.

SpookyTsuki

Dec 3, 2014
Yes, in the AHL his hockey IQ has been above average against his peers. His skating hasn't been a complete failure, but there is room for major improvement.

Give him 30 or 40 games in the NHL and I think people here will get a better clue on what I am really talking about. Will he be a less physical, more conservative Lashoff? Jury is still out.

His Hockey IQ is still higher then Ericsson Kindl and Smith.

Mister Ed

Dec 21, 2008
I think this is a ''we'll bring you up shortly'' contract. The 35K signing bonus is nice, it's more than half of is AHL salary.

Pavels Dog

Feb 18, 2013
Sweden
Guessing it's a "sorry you're still in the AHL, here's a nice signing bonus" thing.

They probably plan on bringing him up. He's still a 50/50 bust due to not improving his skating ability.
Don't see any way he can't at least be a good 3rd pairing guy in the NHL. That wouldn't be a bust. More like 50/50 whether he can live up to potential as a 2nd pairing guy.

BinCookin

Feb 15, 2012
London, ON
Guessing it's a "sorry you're still in the AHL, here's a nice signing bonus" thing.

Don't see any way he can't at least be a good 3rd pairing guy in the NHL. That wouldn't be a bust. More like 50/50 whether he can live up to potential as a 2nd pairing guy.

Lets be honest here.

I am not even going to MENTION 2nd pairing. When he cant make the team.

He will save us close to 2 million to be our horrible bottom 6 guy.

Hes likely no better or worse than Kindl. But at least he would get paid the right amount for his ice time.

SpookyTsuki

Dec 3, 2014
Lets be honest here.

I am not even going to MENTION 2nd pairing. When he cant make the team.

He will save us close to 2 million to be our horrible bottom 6 guy.

Hes likely no better or worse than Kindl. But at least he would get paid the right amount for his ice time.

if Lidstrom was in the ahl he wouldnt be called up. when Ouellet has played he has shown that hes better then Kindl, Smith and sometimes other defenders. But Holland doesn't want to waive and lose his precious 7th dman.

Larkin made the team because their was space at forward.

Pavels Dog

Feb 18, 2013
Sweden
if Lidstrom was in the ahl he wouldnt be called up. when Ouellet has played he has shown that hes better then Kindl, Smith and sometimes other defenders. But Holland doesn't want to waive and lose his precious 7th dman.

Larkin made the team because their was space at forward.
Pretty much this. Ouellet hasn't forced Holland's hand, but that doesn't mean he hasn't been good. If he was a RHD he'd likely be up over Marchenko.

sean3250

Feb 7, 2015
Anyone who says skating isn't an issue is lying. It's his biggest problem, and is definitely holding him back. He has NO offensive game to speak of. He's been absolutely terrible offensively at the pro level.

He's a 3rd pairing guy at best. He's a guy who will stick around in the pros a little longer than he should have thanks to Ken Holland.

Mister Ed

Dec 21, 2008
He can provide offense just by getting the puck going in the right direction unlike 50% of our d corps.

giphy.gif

SpookyTsuki

Dec 3, 2014
Anyone who says skating isn't an issue is lying. It's his biggest problem, and is definitely holding him back. He has NO offensive game to speak of. He's been absolutely terrible offensively at the pro level.

He's a 3rd pairing guy at best. He's a guy who will stick around in the pros a little longer than he should have thanks to Ken Holland.

He had 1 less goal in 3x less games then Dion "The Amazing Shot" Phanuef.

He was on pace for somewhere near 10 goals. He probably would have hit 5 easily. He also had 1 less or the same amount of goals in 2x or 3x less games then alot of defenders people were asking for at the trade deadline.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad