GDT: Wings @ Coyotes 3/16/17

Red Stanley

Apr 25, 2015
USA
I was annoyed with the Franzen float as much as anybody, but the extent of his concussion issues explains a lot of that. This team could've been quite different the past 8 years if Fischer, Franzen and, to a smaller extent, Howard had not had their careers messed up by injuries.

RayMoonDoh

Outta Waiver Stuff
Nov 12, 2011
Shore Shack
Yep.

HKbzKEm.png

Would it be too disparaging to create a stickied thread for Blash's #derpface appearances?

Mount Suribachi

Nov 15, 2013
England
So mantha was benched for the 3rd eh?

I opposed him being scratched because there are so many other worthy candidates this season for that.

But the 2 games he's played since being reinserted, I've seen him once in 15 minutes of highlights. That tells me all I need to know about his contributions.

aar000n

Oct 16, 2006

I have been thinking about this stat and the truth is the reason we are so good at shootouts is it does not rely on a system. It does not force the coach to think. The players skill decides it. The rest is on the coaches ability to match-up to measure players and to think.

ArGarBarGar

What do we want!? Unfair!
Sep 8, 2008
I opposed him being scratched because there are so many other worthy candidates this season for that.

But the 2 games he's played since being reinserted, I've seen him once in 15 minutes of highlights. That tells me all I need to know about his contributions.

What we really need to do is micromanage a single young player to the point where it is a constant distraction to the team and possibly affects his progression.

Like, the guy was productive, is in his rookie season, and is surrounded by both lazy and unproductive players. I have no idea why this is starting to become a big issue like the AA stuff we saw earlier in the year.

Winger98

Feb 27, 2002
Cleveland
I think people forget what a floater Mule was towards the end of his career once he became a goal scorer and not a grinder. If he wasnt scoring he wasnt doing much of anything a lot of the time

The last four years of his career, when he played at all, he only played 130 games. That was 12/13-15/16. And there's no way of knowing how healthy he was even while playing.

Still, he had the third highest PPG on the team and fourth highest TOI. Averaging over .7 ppg and 17 minutes of IT, I have to think that he was better than he was/is given credit for.

*when he wanted to be (as with most things with him)

Guy really was a bigger talent than I think most people realize. He always left me wanting more, because I thought he had more in him, but all things considered I really enjoyed watching him and hope he is enjoying life after hockey.

Guy was a great talent (just look at the stats I cite above and those were from when the injuries started to add up), but it seems like he gets knocked for not being a HoFer. Because that's what he would have been if he had been more dominant on a more consistent basis.

Also, I think we forget how old he was. When injuries started to add up, he was in his early 30s. Other than injuries, it might have just been Father Time catching up a bit, too.

jolly roger

Aug 4, 2013
What we really need to do is micromanage a single young player to the point where it is a constant distraction to the team and possibly affects his progression.

Like, the guy was productive, is in his rookie season, and is surrounded by both lazy and unproductive players. I have no idea why this is starting to become a big issue like the AA stuff we saw earlier in the year.

It's an issue because like he has done before Blashill isn't smart enough to take care of his own issues inside, not outside , the room. Talking **** about your own players to the media is about as ****ing stupid a move as a head coach can make. That eventually turns you into a "former" head coach.

RedWingsfan55

Jan 5, 2015
Seriously, stop treating him like he is a ****ing baby. He is an adult and is responsible for his own actions (in this case the performance of his job). I get that this is a foreign concept to posters of a certain vintage. He has not been benched for minor transgressions or minor mistakes like trying to do to much or missing an occasional assignment. He has been benched for not moving his feet and giving an honest effort along the boards - two habits that have been major issues since juniors. As someone who was at Thursday's game I can tell you he had no interest in moving his feet, lived out on the perimeter and was nothing short of pathetic.

The people who are *****ing about Mantha being benched are the same people who will be *****ing about him floating like Franzen three years from now.

For the record I fully understand that this team is much more interesting to watch with Mantha in the lineup. I also expect that he will be treated in a similar fashion by Blash's successor.

Except Mantua is one of the better players night in and night out. The team is horrible. Or do you not watch the games?

Ezekial

Cheap Pizza, Okay Hockey
Sponsor
Nov 22, 2015
Chicago
Except Mantua is one of the better players night in and night out. The team is horrible. Or do you not watch the games?

Except if you've been watching the recent games, he hasn't been. Since returning from the bench the best 5 forwards on the ice were the entire first line, AA, and Larkin. It was similar leading up to the benching. I'd argue if you've watched the games you'd have seen the decline.

Mount Suribachi

Nov 15, 2013
England

I'm not sure what point you're trying to make here? Honestly, not trolling.

Rzombo4 prez

May 17, 2012

Except he hasn't been for quite some time. I can't help you brother if you don't understand what you are watching when you turn on the game.

Don't ever confuse talent for performance (a common fault with casual sports fans). Mantha is without question one of (if not the) most talented and skilled players on this team. He has not, however, performed well or otherwise been effective over the last ten games.

chances14

Jan 7, 2010
Michigan

it's a big deal because mantha is expected to become part of the future core for the wings. same with AA

on a team playing for the future, the young guys will be under the spotlight the most

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad