Cursed Lemon

Registered Bruiser
Nov 10, 2011
Dey-Twah, MI
17352004_10208521346808275_2560476227707254342_n.jpg

njx9

Feb 1, 2016
So mantha was benched for the 3rd eh?

Who would've figured that, when you only punish two guys for making mistakes, they might eventually stop listening. Really shocking that he's tuned out. I'm sure trading him off for peanuts in the offseason for a Helm clone, or a continued refusal to bench bad players while excessively benching good players for minor transgressions will do wonders for the team (to be fair, the team doesn't just not bench them, it gives them lifetime contracts).

Rzombo4 prez

May 17, 2012
Who would've figured that, when you only punish two guys for making mistakes, they might eventually stop listening. Really shocking that he's tuned out. I'm sure trading him off for peanuts in the offseason for a Helm clone, or a continued refusal to bench bad players while excessively benching good players for minor transgressions will do wonders for the team (to be fair, the team doesn't just not bench them, it gives them lifetime contracts).

Seriously, stop treating him like he is a ****ing baby. He is an adult and is responsible for his own actions (in this case the performance of his job). I get that this is a foreign concept to posters of a certain vintage. He has not been benched for minor transgressions or minor mistakes like trying to do to much or missing an occasional assignment. He has been benched for not moving his feet and giving an honest effort along the boards - two habits that have been major issues since juniors. As someone who was at Thursday's game I can tell you he had no interest in moving his feet, lived out on the perimeter and was nothing short of pathetic.

The people who are *****ing about Mantha being benched are the same people who will be *****ing about him floating like Franzen three years from now.

For the record I fully understand that this team is much more interesting to watch with Mantha in the lineup. I also expect that he will be treated in a similar fashion by Blash's successor.

njx9

Feb 1, 2016
Seriously, stop treating him like he is a ****ing baby. He is an adult and is responsible for his own actions (in this case the performance of his job). I get that this is a foreign concept to posters of a certain vintage. He has not been benched for minor transgressions or minor mistakes like trying to do to much or missing an occasional assignment. He has been benched for not moving his feet and giving an honest effort along the boards - two habits that have been major issues since juniors. As someone who was at Thursday's game I can tell you he had no interest in moving his feet, lived out on the perimeter and was nothing short of pathetic.

How am I treating him like anything? I'm saying that the way the Detroit "leadership" has tried to 'teach' him is laughable, and that it's utterly unsurprising it failed completely. None of that has anything to do with my opinion of Mantha's mental toughness or ability to learn. None of it has anything to do with whether or not he's a floater.

The people who are *****ing about Mantha being benched are the same people who will be *****ing about him floating like Franzen three years from now.

I'm "*****ing" about the clear and obvious failure of the Wings organization to display anything even vaguely approximating leadership in this case. I'm blaming Blashill for setting up an obvious double standard, where you can be a terrible, completely non-additive NHL player and still get top minutes indefinitely because you 'move your feet' (no matter how completely ineffectual that movement is), and where the only players who get demoted or publicly reprimanded are your young players, who apparently haven't 'earned' the right to suck in every single way but one when they're on the ice.

For the record I fully understand that this team is much more interesting to watch with Mantha in the lineup. I also expect that he will be treated in a similar fashion by Blash's successor.

I expect it will have similar 'results' if the team continues to demonstrate that hockey ability is dramatically less important than 'hustle'.

redwingsphan

Apr 25, 2014
There's a game tonight, eh? Anyone one the road or local on site tonight?

I'm at 104/K/13.

I was in 122. I thought it was an exciting game. AA/Larkin/Abby was the best line on the ice, imo.

I met callahan's mom and Jensen's uncle.

Ezekial

Cheap Pizza, Okay Hockey
Sponsor
Nov 22, 2015
Chicago
Jeff Blashill isn't the greatest NHL coach but he is the GOAT when it comes to dumb faces.

TKB

Jun 12, 2010
Chicago

You could use this exact description for Mike Green.

Heaton

Feb 13, 2004
Auburn Hills

And yet, both Franzen and Mantha actually produced despite perceptions of their work ethic. Yet, we'll ignore obvious issues from other players because they look like they're working hard, yet generate nothing.

I don't care how players get it done, if you're an offensive player and expected to produce offense, do that.

Wood Stick

Dec 25, 2015
And yet, both Franzen and Mantha actually produced despite perceptions of their work ethic. Yet, we'll ignore obvious issues from other players because they look like they're working hard, yet generate nothing.

I don't care how players get it done, if you're an offensive player and expected to produce offense, do that.

Yeah and forget about working hard defensively. They're above that!

Frk It

Mo Seider Less Problems
Jul 27, 2010
Franzen was very good defensively.

*when he wanted to be (as with most things with him)

Guy really was a bigger talent than I think most people realize. He always left me wanting more, because I thought he had more in him, but all things considered I really enjoyed watching him and hope he is enjoying life after hockey.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad