Confirmed with Link: Wings claim Olli Juolevi off waivers from Florida

BSHH

HSVer & Rotflügel
Apr 12, 2009
Hamburg
With the LD situation in flux, this might add another option. Hopefully the Red Wings have neither high priority nor significant need for comparable moves next year.

Gruß,
BSHH

TheOctopusKid

Sep 24, 2010
Leddy has to be going somewhere, maybe Florida?

If we were going to send Leddy to FL, who just cut Juolevi to clear up the extra defender for Knight....wouldn't we just have had them send us Juolevi as part of the deal for Leddy and cut out the chance opportunity that the asset we also wanted in this whole deal could've been nabbed? Was there a benefit by going through waivers?

Henkka

Jan 31, 2004
Tampere, Finland
Our 1st round picked guys

2005 - #12 overall - LD Marc Staal
2007 - #6 overall - RW Sam Gagner
2009 - #16 overall - LD Nick Leddy
2011 - #27 overall - F Vladislav Namestnikov
2014 - #14 overall - C Dylan Larkin
2014 - #21 overall - LW Robby Fabbri
2016 - #5 overall - LD Olli Juolevi
2017 - #9 overall - C Michael Rasmussen
2018 - #6 overall - W Filip Zadina
2018 - #30 overall - C Joe Veleno
2019 - #6 overall - RD Moritz Seider
2020 - #4 overall - RW Lucas Raymond

SirloinUB

Aug 20, 2010
Canada
The kid is definitely a long shot but we don't really have much to lose so Im all for it.

That said, Id hope Yzerman and co. commit to give this kid a legit opportunity over the next 8 months. I'm all for a low risk flier but at this point in his career he will need an organization to work with him. They gotta give him a consistent run of games and practice to close the season out. Then line him up with a good off season training plan and see how he looks coming into camp. If they are not willing to do that it will be a nearly pointless waiver claim.

Reactions: evolutionbaby

Ricelund

̶W̶e̶ ̶l̶i̶k̶e̶ ̶o̶u̶r̶ ̶t̶e̶a̶m̶
Apr 16, 2006
New York, NY

Ironically, the only first-round picks on the '08 team were Cleary, Kronwall, and Stuart. That must be a record for a Cup winner.

Reactions: 14ari13

TheOctopusKid

Sep 24, 2010
The kid is definitely a long shot but we don't really have much to lose so Im all for it.

That said, Id hope Yzerman and co. commit to give this kid a legit opportunity over the next 8 months. I'm all for a low risk flier but at this point in his career he will need an organization to work with him. They gotta give him a consistent run of games and practice to close the season out. Then line him up with a good off season training plan and see how he looks coming into camp. If they are not willing to do that it will be a nearly pointless waiver claim.

I think that's the real open ended question I have regarding this pickup. Is this just a plug/try-out, or is this a full on renovation? If what they say about this guy is true, that he still exhibits a high IQ on both ends of the ice, great poise, etc. and really he has the following issues: character/work ethic and skating/musculoskeletal recovery?

Is this really a situation where we are investing some time into rebuilding this kid up, moving him into a clear development path with mentorship, and giving him a lesser role, expectations, our medical experts and staff, etc. and and a new system around to let him rehab, build up endurance and strength, etc. and hopefully recover some of his mobility...

Reactions: SirloinUB

SirloinUB

Aug 20, 2010
Canada
I think that's the real open ended question I have regarding this pickup. Is this just a plug/try-out, or is this a full on renovation? If what they say about this guy is true, that he still exhibits a high IQ on both ends of the ice, great poise, etc. and really he has the following issues: character/work ethic and skating/musculoskeletal recovery?

Is this really a situation where we are investing some time into rebuilding this kid up, moving him into a clear development path with mentorship, and giving him a lesser role, expectations, our medical experts and staff, etc. and and a new system around to let him rehab, build up endurance and strength, etc. and hopefully recover some of his mobility...

Exactly. There will always be a time and a place for the dart board plug and play but with a player of this pedigree, attributes and injury history I would hope the team is willing to invest in building him up.

I guess either way the team needs a warm body but this seems more like a low risk, possible high reward (even if a long shot) situation with the right investment.

Frk It

Mo Seider Less Problems
Jul 27, 2010
I remember thinking he was overrated in his draft year (because I didn't think he was dynamic offensively or a dynamic mover).

But I have not paid any attention or seen play much at all the last few years, so I have no clue where he is at. Seems like a good move to bring him in and try him out. He might have to embrace playing a different kind of game, but he could still find some success in the league I would imagine.

Frk It

Mo Seider Less Problems
Jul 27, 2010

They probably don't know yet. They will probably get their answers after watching the guy practice and play in some games, and seeing what he does off the ice.

SirloinUB

Aug 20, 2010
Canada
They probably don't know yet. They will probably get their answers after watching the guy practice and play in some games, and seeing what he does off the ice.

Fair point I just think the theoretical upside is so much higher with the right support however that's mostly based on his junior career/injury struggles.

TheOctopusKid

Sep 24, 2010
Exactly. There will always be a time and a place for the dart board plug and play but with a player of this pedigree, attributes and injury history I would hope the team is willing to invest in building him up.

I guess either way the team needs a warm body but this seems more like a low risk, possible high reward (even if a long shot) situation with the right investment.

I can't say I've really followed his history outside of his draft year. I remember him being very highly regarded, I remember the class he was taken in and knowing we had no shot - getting excited that Chychrun falling, being super depressed that we ended up with Cholowski who looked like he was in middle school.

But truthfully, just seeing the quick sequence of his injuries, expectations, etc. It really feels like this kid was just flat out mismanaged on a number of fronts. Significant back injury that required surgery; back in action on an incredibly short timetable to tear it up that 2018 season till his knee needed to be operated on in less than 4 months following his back and then the had to go back to that knee and fix is again. Then he's back and turns out he's developed a hip injury probably for overcompensating for his busted out knee so now he has to work on improving his hip as well.

All of this to culminate in this season in VAN, where Travis Greene is Bag Skating this guy till he's passing out on the ice, and the press and fans are tearing into him for not being in shape and his skating/pivoting looking bad...

What am I missing here?

This literally feels like he's being constantly rushed back without supporting him, giving him a chance to reset, recover, build confidence in a number of weakened joints, ligaments, pelvic walls, lower back and spine, and are curious why his stride and his conditioning aren't great...

I agree with you, I hope he gets a chance to really recover, rebuild his body and his confidence that when he pushes off, something isn't going to snap, and is given time to build his endurance, strength, and mobility back. This just feels like ...Sh**ty player management more than anything.

Snuggs

Jun 24, 2018
Hmm... At least he's free. Flier... sure why not. Not expecting much.

Trade wouldn't surprise me. Leddy/Stetcher moved.

Gniwder

Oct 12, 2009
Bellingham, WA
That's what I'm thinking. The staff is really familiar with hip and back injuries.

The surgeon that worked on DDK is a miracle worker, I figured his career was over. I'm sure they'll have him examine the kid and work out a PT plan.

TheOtherOne

Jan 2, 2010

Name a more iconic trio than Sam Gagner, Filip Zadina, and Moritz Seider.

blueadams

May 30, 2011
Benning once cautiously compared him to Lidstrom when he was drafted... so maybe the prophecy will finally be fulfilled?

I'm sure Lidstrom was consulted on the move... about DeKeyser... about Leddy.

It's kind of funny picturing Lidstrom even saying negative things outloud to another person (about DeKeyser, Leddy, etc.) isn't it?

I also just kind of wondered if Yzerman making such a big mistake on Leddy was part of the reason he brought in Lidstrom....

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad