Confirmed with Link: Wings Claim Gemel Smith

FabricDetails

HF still in need of automated text analytics
Mar 30, 2009
Didn't this happen with someone else not that many seasons ago there and back and there again?

Gniwder

Oct 12, 2009
Bellingham, WA
Didn't this happen with someone else not that many seasons ago there and back and there again?
Happens all the time because the original team can send that player to the AHL like Cholol earlier this season, and I predicted Tampa would reclaim him for that reason.

Gemel put up 40 points in 50 games with Syracuse a couple of seasons ago. He's a high level AHL player that any team would take for their AHL affiliate. Thing is waiver claims have to stay in the NHL.... so back to Syracuse.

Gniwder

Oct 12, 2009
Bellingham, WA
Givani Smith in January: "Man I'm bummed I didn't get to see my brother over the holiday break. It's our only chance to see each other during hockey season. It would've been nice to hang out for a couple weeks"

*Yzerman picks up the phone*
I think it's cool that Stevie/Blash let them play a couple of games together. Even better that the team won one of those games.

I wouldn't be surprised if he winds up being signed for GR when his current contract is over.

Reactions: Lazlo Hollyfeld

Lazlo Hollyfeld

The jersey ad still sucks
Mar 4, 2004
I think there was basically a paper move in a trade that involved Lashoff, but Tampa "loaned" him to Grand Rapids so he could keep playing there?

FabricDetails

HF still in need of automated text analytics
Mar 30, 2009
I think there was basically a paper move in a trade that involved Lashoff, but Tampa "loaned" him to Grand Rapids so he could keep playing there?

Maybe it wasn't the Wings but I thought we saw a fringe NHL player get claimed by another team only for the Wings to re-claim him back for a 2nd run.

Oddbob

Jan 21, 2016
Oh the memories. Sweet sweet memories. Wait who are we talking about again?

bedtime20

nap nap
Nov 30, 2018
Metro Detroit
LOL why? Looks like he's doing OK as a backup this season, but pretty inconsequential. He's also UFA after this season.

IIRC, Jets claimed then waived him and the Wings could have taken him back but chose not to do so.
I liked him and he would be a younger/better option to greiss. I’m just salty lol, he belongs in winnipeg.

ShelbyZ

Apr 8, 2015
I kind of figured the Lightning would grab him since (as long as no other team put in a claim) they could send him straight to Syracuse and had invested in him for next season as well.

Wings pretty much just borrowed him from Tampa.

To go along with the left on waivers and quickly back from waivers discussion above... Manny Legace was another example. Got claimed by the Canucks to start the 99-00 season, then got waived two weeks later and reclaimed by the Red Wings and sent to the minors. There used to be an old article still floating around on the web that seems to have now disappeared that explained that it was an agreed up thing between Holland and Burke. The Canucks, who were like #3 in the waiver order at the time, would claim Legace with that high priority to keep him from going to another team and would then would borrow him to use as a backup until both Garth Snow and Kevin Weekes were healthy since, for whatever reason, they decided they didn't need any goalie depth beyond their NHL guys other than a 22YO undrafted college UFA with no pro experience. IIRC, Snow got re-injured in his first game back, which came within a day or so from when Legace returned to the Wings.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad