Confirmed with Link: Wings Claim Gemel Smith

Gniwder

Oct 12, 2009
Bellingham, WA
His brother isn't a big body. And I think this was just a PR move. Both Smiths are AHL/NHL tweeners.
I know that, I said it was a move for Givani. I also agree they're tweeners, never said otherwise. I mean I'd love to have Tom Wilson or even Maroon, but we have what we have.

I also suspect there's a marketing move, but it is what it is. The 4th line sucks anyways.

simonedvinsson

May 26, 2020
Everyone convinced they know why Yzerman picked up Givani’s brother is assuming Yzerman even knew they were related.

But like… what if he didn’t?

lilidk

Mar 4, 2008
Obviously he's doing it to make Givani happy, I see no other reason to sign his brother when any other warm body will suffice.

There are definitely other big bodies I'd rather have than Smith. Preferably one that can skate, but it's better than nobody... like last season.
i dont think Givani is that important to team to make him happy . they said Gemel is skilled and fast . Guy had mental problem and who knows if he play on the same line with his brother might help him bring the best out of him

GrGriffins

Jan 30, 2017
Grand Rapids, MI
Gemel did not look that bad on the ice tonight. You could tell that he has not played all season and at the beginning it showed. As the game progressed, Gemel was making plays and making moves around the Admirals d-man. He got into a scrum in the 2nd period, but nothing came of it. Give him a couple more games under his belt, and does have some skill.

jfrank21

Oct 1, 2009
Really dont get this signing after watching him play in GR. Unless he decides to play a different type of game once he gets in the bigs I dont see anything that sets him apart from the Criscuolos, Barbers, or Hiroses of the world...

nhlisawesome

Oct 26, 2019
Yzerman hasn’t really made many significant moves other than the Ned trade and the jury’s still out on Nedelkovich as far as I’m concerned. Worth pulling the trigger on for that deal but he can let in some absolute softies

Gniwder

Oct 12, 2009
Bellingham, WA
Yzerman hasn’t really made many significant moves other than the Ned trade and the jury’s still out on Nedelkovich as far as I’m concerned. Worth pulling the trigger on for that deal but he can let in some absolute softies
Vrana and re-signing Fabbri.

He has not made a splash in free agency, I think he needs o this offseason. At least get one decent player, not more bottom end players.

jaster

Take me off ignore, please.
Jun 8, 2007
If he clears he will go to GR. If not, he will go to a different team.

If he clears he'll probably remain in Detroit if Rowney isn't ready to go next game. Whenever Rowney is ready to go, yeah, he'll go to GR.

Waiving him a little early probably just allows Detroit to make contingency plans in case he's claimed.

Last edited:

jaster

Take me off ignore, please.
Jun 8, 2007
o shit do we still have rowney

Exactly my thought when I read the MLive article.

Stephens/Rowney/Ge Smith..... A carousel of 4th-line centers. I guess it's good they don't want Veleno centering the 4th line? I assume it's because they want him developing on the wing with more minutes and better linemates instead of wasting away on the 4th line, even if it is as a center.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad