GDT: Wings/Canes Part 2

Ghost of Ethan Hunt

The Official Ghost of Space Ghosts Monkey
Jun 23, 2018
Top Secret Moon Base
brome gets rewarded for being our best player with a demotion
I'd have bumped Gagner down to 4th or sat him. He & Nielsen can rotate. At least Frans can take draws, whereas Gagner is less accomplished at them.

Ras-Vlad-Brome is my choice for L3.

Flip-LGD-Helm =L4

(Erne-Nielsen-Gagne) =L5, rotate in. Smith gets his TOI in GR til TDL clears logjam.

newfy

Jul 28, 2010
It doesn't help when the drop pass is inside your defensive zone.

This is one that I dont get. People complaining about that drop pass play dont understand the xs and os of hockey, however, skating to the other teams blueline and dropping it back to your own defensive zone gives the PK time to step and clog up the neutral zone more. It used to be a really quick drop that caught the d flat footed

RedMenace

Jul 24, 2006
www.ShattenkirksKrakenshirt.net
This is one that I dont get. People complaining about that drop pass play dont understand the xs and os of hockey, however, skating to the other teams blueline and dropping it back to your own defensive zone gives the PK time to step and clog up the neutral zone more. It used to be a really quick drop that caught the d flat footed

Yeah, when I saw them doing that, dropping just outside of the defensive zone and letting it sit so long that I didn't think anyone was coming for it... just doesn't really make any sense.

Unless you're winding up McDavid, that's waaaaaaaaaaaaaay too much time and space for the PK.

raymond23

Go Griffs Go
Sponsor
Sep 28, 2017
Grand Rapids, MI

Not only that but the 4 other players are standing still at the blue line.

newfy

Jul 28, 2010
Yeah, when I saw them doing that, dropping just outside of the defensive zone and letting it sit so long that I didn't think anyone was coming for it... just doesn't really make any sense.

Unless you're winding up McDavid, that's waaaaaaaaaaaaaay too much time and space for the PK.

Even then, you can let mcdavid get speed and wind him up while also dropping the puck shorter and catching the defense more flat footed. It really doesnt make a lot of sense but the wings arent the only team doing it

Reactions: RedMenace

raymond23

Go Griffs Go
Sponsor
Sep 28, 2017
Grand Rapids, MI
Here are the official lines

No line combos are going to make this team win but it would help if we were at least hard to play against. 3/4 of the roster is soft as butter

FabricDetails

HF still in need of automated text analytics
Mar 30, 2009
Would love to be wrong but I'm feeling a blowout type loss is coming tonight. Carolina probably feels like it shouldn't have been that close on the scoreboard in the last game and will hit much harder.

SoupGuru

May 12, 2007
Spokane
I actually really like that 4th line. Erne was energized last game, Glendening battles hard and makes space that Brome could use

Reactions: NickH8

Lil Sebastian Cossa

Opinions are share are my own personal opinions.
Jul 6, 2012
Those line combos are gross.

This coach would find a way to make the 1996 Red Wings a sub .500 squad.

No, he wouldn't. And frankly, let's be honest, the lines in game 1 were dogshit too. You can't make chicken salad out of fifteen tons of chicken shit. Like Blashill is bad, but what the f*** do you want him to do with this roster. It still is WOEFULLY undertalented.

StargateSG1

Nov 26, 2016
No, he wouldn't. And frankly, let's be honest, the lines in game 1 were dogshit too. You can't make chicken salad out of fifteen tons of chicken shit. Like Blashill is bad, but what the f*** do you want him to do with this roster. It still is WOEFULLY undertalented.

Make some lines that actually work, healthy scratch some pylons, remove Noodles from the Power Play.
You know, things good coaches should be able to do?

Reactions: OgeeOgelthorpe

Lil Sebastian Cossa

Opinions are share are my own personal opinions.
Jul 6, 2012
Make some lines that actually work, healthy scratch some pylons, remove Noodles from the Power Play.

Just rock solid analysis here. Fantastic. If you want to be good, just make yourself not be bad.

How do you "make lines that work" without switching things up from lines that didn't f***ing work in game one? We see their roster... there aren't massive earth-shaking guys they can add from the taxi squad. They are adding Bobby Ryan who should work better to get a couple shots. Ok, so you don't want DeKeyser and Merrill on the PP. Okay, DDK isn't really good at it. Let's knock him off. Wasn't Merrill on PP2? So that's what... Hronek and Stetcher on PP1? Nemeth and Staal on PP2? I'm sure you'd love to see Marc Staal on the PP. That wouldn't draw any ire at all. Maybe we bring up Dennis Cholowski, that's fair. But how's his game outside of PP?

kliq

Dec 17, 2017

Not that I think that Blashill is a good coach, I really don't, but he has one guy to choose from. The only healthy scratch at the moment is Biega (with Nielsen being injured). If he wants more guys to play, Yzerman needs to call someone else up to the main roster as the taxi squad is just there in case someone can't go.

lilidk

Mar 4, 2008
Here are the official lines

No line combos are going to make this team win but it would help if we were at least hard to play against. 3/4 of the roster is soft as butter

My only hope is 4th line

StargateSG1

Nov 26, 2016
Just rock solid analysis here. Fantastic. If you want to be good, just make yourself not be bad.

How do you "make lines that work" without switching things up from lines that didn't f***ing work in game one? We see their roster... there aren't massive earth-shaking guys they can add from the taxi squad. They are adding Bobby Ryan who should work better to get a couple shots. Ok, so you don't want DeKeyser and Merrill on the PP. Okay, DDK isn't really good at it. Let's knock him off. Wasn't Merrill on PP2? So that's what... Hronek and Stetcher on PP1? Nemeth and Staal on PP2? I'm sure you'd love to see Marc Staal on the PP. That wouldn't draw any ire at all. Maybe we bring up Dennis Cholowski, that's fair. But how's his game outside of PP?

Right, poor Blashill, he has nothing to work with. It's nothing but the excuse.
Try playing Names as Center on the 2nd line? Fabbri is his answer? lol
Put Zadina on the 1st line and reinforce the 2nd line with Mantha.
Spread it around a bit.
Yes, play Hronek and any other "puck mover" like Stetcher on the PP, for starters.
Put a forward there with a heavy shot.
Do something!
What system do they play?
"Dump, Don't Chase and Poke and Hope" is not NHL level strategies that work.

jaster

Take me off ignore, please.
Jun 8, 2007
RAAAAAGE over these lines :madfire:

Just kidding. I don't care. It's not possible to make good lines because we don't have enough good players to assemble good lines. No matter what, this lineup looks horrible.

Pavels Dog

Feb 18, 2013
Sweden
Would love to be wrong but I'm feeling a blowout type loss is coming tonight. Carolina probably feels like it shouldn't have been that close on the scoreboard in the last game and will hit much harder.
That would be so demoralizing and really put even more fuel to the fire Blashill chants.

Normally, when teams play 2 games in a row against eachother, the team that lost the first game is favored to win the next. Because they're fired up. If Carolina gets more fired up from feeling "it shouldn't have been close" than our guys get from actually being dominated and shut out... ooof.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad