GDT: Wings/Canes Part 2

Hammettf2b

oldmanyellsatcloud.jpg
Jul 9, 2012
So California
You guys and your pearl clutching about DDK on the power play is hilarious.

Give it a rest.

There are so many other problems on the PP that I'd address first. Entries being number one. Getting rid of the puck BEFORE you're stripped is a good lesson too. Playing with your face to the boards isn't a recipe for success either. Movement. Lots of things.
why can't we complain about all of it?

datsyukfan

Jul 5, 2007
Would be real nice to know when Djoos will be available. Gotta be soon unless he has covid. I think he’s gotta be in line for that 2nd PP spot over Merrill

MBH

Players Play
Jul 20, 2019
SE Michigan
redwingsnow.com
You wouldn't just bump Dekeyser down to PP2? :DD

It's weird but putting guys like Dekeyser and Merril on your powerplay is like you're playing safe and trying not to get scored on...while being up a guy.

As anemic as Cholowski has been at 5 on 5, he is our best powerplay defenseman.
I thought he showed it again during limited viewing of the Red and White games.

We have 4 defenseman who've played at least 50 minutes on the PP over the last two years.
Here are their PP stats.
Cholowski 223 minutes 1.34 goals/60 3.76 points/60
Kronwall 129 minutes .46 goals/60 3.71 points/60
Hronek 266 minutes .45 goals/60 3.38 points/60
Green 201 minutes .30 goals/60 2,08 poins.60.

I chose 50 minutes randomly.

I added another year to see if I could catch Dekeyser.
We found Daley: 85 minutes 0 G/60 1..4 points/60

I couldn't, so I dropped the minutes to 20.
Dekyerser - 0 goals, 0 assists in 22 minutes.

Even last year alone, a bad year for Cholo, he was neck and neck with Hronek
Hronek .32 G/60 3.18 P/60
Cholo .62 G/60 3.1 G/60
Green ,51 g/60 2.04 P/60

The Cholo-to-Mantha or Cholo-to-Zadina pass is pretty effective.

Looking at other stats to see if there are red flags
Chlow's GA/60 of 2.41 is the worst on the team - a bit higher than Hronek at 2.21.
But Cholo's GF/60 is 6.71 - the highest. Kronwall at 6.5 is second best at 6.5 and Hronek is third best at 5.6, Green is ridiculously low at 3.28.

Detroit's shots/60 is at 44 with Cholo on the ice. Second to Kronwall's 50.
His shots against/60 is 9.93, best on the team.

Cholo's most concerning stat could be high danger corsi against .. 4.02/60 - second worst on the team. It implies there were some breakdowns with him on the point.
But in the end result, he still has a better GF/60 thank Hronek.

MBH

Players Play
Jul 20, 2019
SE Michigan
redwingsnow.com
Why? He's god awful at every other aspect on the game other than PP. He's like a worse Bowey. And Detroit already can't afford to carry deadweight on the back end

Evidence?
This team scores 6.5+ goals/60 with Cholo on the ice.
That's a good clip.
Of active D, Hronek is second at 5.7.

Last edited:

Dotter

THE ATHLETIC IS GARBAGE
Jul 2, 2014
Imprisonment, TN
goo.gl
This year is a wash. No point in complaining about anything, because there's no solution to fix the problem.

I hope by 2023/24 Wings will be noticed as a young team on the up-and-up. Right now, we are the laughing stock, pun, losers.

Shaman464

No u
May 1, 2009
Boston, MA
Evidence?

Of what? That's he's god awful? Well his 5 on 5 goals for on ice /60 was 1.9 per 60 and 3.6 against per 60. This is while having 55% offensive zone starts and very sheltered minutes. His expected goal differential last season was -19, so given the fact he was -20 last season, he played exactly as predicted. Every stat I saw from last year put him as the worst defender on the ice. He's just not good.

Reactions: OgeeOgelthorpe
Apr 14, 2009
Canada
Ryan should be better than Namestnikov (lol) in a net front role.
Jon Merril needs to get off the powerplay.

Merrill and Dekeyser need off the PP immediately.

Dekeyser has 10 career powerplay points in 442 games. It just doesn't make sense. Like I really do not , for the life of me, understand how this guy is on PP #1. What is Blashill's logic here.." Hey Danny, you haven't played much at all in a year and a half, and you have never been a powerplay guy in your entire career, but I have some great news for you Danny. You are going to be our PP quarterback! How does that sound Danny?"

Meanwhile Hronek was over a point per game in the Czech league this year, and was running their PP....but hey, let's use Dekeyser on PP #1 because..why not??

Last edited:
Reactions: MBH
Apr 14, 2009
Canada
You guys and your pearl clutching about DDK on the power play is hilarious.

Give it a rest.

There are so many other problems on the PP that I'd address first. Entries being number one. Getting rid of the puck BEFORE you're stripped is a good lesson too. Playing with your face to the boards isn't a recipe for success either. Movement. Lots of things.

I dunno man, I disagree. It is one of the most idiotic things I've witnessed in over 20+ years of watching hockey.

Dekeyser would probably clear waivers tomorrow if we put him on it...

Reactions: Oddbob

MBH

Players Play
Jul 20, 2019
SE Michigan
redwingsnow.com
Merrill and Dekeyser need off the PP immediately.

Dekeyser has 10 career powerplay points in 442 games. It just doesn't make sense. Like I really do not , for the life of me, understand how this guy is on PP #1. What is Blashill's logic here.." Hey Danny, you haven't played much at all in a year in a half, and you have never been a powerplay guy in your entire career, but I have some great news for you Danny. You are going to be our PP quarterback! How does that sound Danny?"

Meanwhile Hronek was over a point per game in the Czech league this year, and was running their PP....but hey, let's use Dekeyser on PP #1 because..why not??

Dekeyser is a Michigan kid - an NCAA kid - a kid who played for Blashill for Team USA in the Worlds.
That's what Blashill is all about.
Michigan hockey.
NCAA Hockey.
USA Hockey.

In almost every situation - Blashill will favor the kids who check a couple of these boxes.

Oh, Jon Merril is a Michigan hockey kid? An NCAA kid? Played for USNTDP? Let's throw him on the PP.

The Red Line

Oct 11, 2010
I know it is useless to complain, and especially after only one game, but coaching is definitely the reason this will be a very hard season to watch.

Sure, the roster lacks talent - no doubt about that. But there are still talented players on the roster and yet the whole team looks like it doesn't belong in the NHL.

I don't mind seeing the team playing losing hockey considering the state of the rebuild, but I do believe it is paramount to see improvement from the young players and I just don't see how that's possible in the current system.

I know that keeping Blashill on this year is part of the plan, but man it is going to be brutal to watch.

Reactions: NotLeddy

14ari13

Oct 19, 2006
Norway
You wouldn't just bump Dekeyser down to PP2? :DD

It's weird but putting guys like Dekeyser and Merril on your powerplay is like you're playing safe and trying not to get scored on...while being up a guy.
That's what I thought too. It is hilarious, but what can we do?

OgeeOgelthorpe

Baldina
Feb 29, 2020
I know it is useless to complain, and especially after only one game, but coaching is definitely the reason this will be a very hard season to watch.

Sure, the roster lacks talent - no doubt about that. But there are still talented players on the roster and yet the whole team looks like it doesn't belong in the NHL.

I don't mind seeing the team playing losing hockey considering the state of the rebuild, but I do believe it is paramount to see improvement from the young players and I just don't see how that's possible in the current system.

I know that keeping Blashill on this year is part of the plan, but man it is going to be brutal to watch.

That's kind of how I feel, too.

A good coach would at the least make this team prepared and competitive even if they were going to lose. Our team does not play disciplined, it does not play competitive, and is too often not prepared.

For comparison's sake, we were about as bad as the 1993 Ottawa Senators with 400 fewer shots for than shots against.

2019-20 Detroit Red Wings Team Gamelog | Hockey-Reference.com

1992-93 Ottawa Senators Team Gamelog | Hockey-Reference.com

f***ing embarrasing.

SoupGuru

May 12, 2007
Spokane
The last time DeKeyser saw significant power play time was 13-14 and 14-15 when his PP pts/60 were 2.8 and 3.4

Hronek's 2 years are 3.2 last season and 3.9 the season before. Cholo had 3.1 last year and 4.3 the season before.

Considering the shitshow that our PP is, what's the concern?

Ghost of Ethan Hunt

The Official Ghost of Space Ghosts Monkey
Jun 23, 2018
Top Secret Moon Base
The last time DeKeyser saw significant power play time was 13-14 and 14-15 when his PP pts/60 were 2.8 and 3.4

Hronek's 2 years are 3.2 last season and 3.9 the season before. Cholo had 3.1 last year and 4.3 the season before.

Considering the shitshow that our PP is, what's the concern?
Factor in D-Z-Kronner during 13-15 & it puts DDK's PP performance into more perspective.

Reactions: Gniwder and MBH

Frk It

Mo Seider Less Problems
Jul 27, 2010
As anemic as Cholowski has been at 5 on 5, he is our best powerplay defenseman.
I thought he showed it again during limited viewing of the Red and White games.

We have 4 defenseman who've played at least 50 minutes on the PP over the last two years.
Here are their PP stats.
Cholowski 223 minutes 1.34 goals/60 3.76 points/60
Kronwall 129 minutes .46 goals/60 3.71 points/60
Hronek 266 minutes .45 goals/60 3.38 points/60
Green 201 minutes .30 goals/60 2,08 poins.60.

I chose 50 minutes randomly.

I added another year to see if I could catch Dekeyser.
We found Daley: 85 minutes 0 G/60 1..4 points/60

I couldn't, so I dropped the minutes to 20.
Dekyerser - 0 goals, 0 assists in 22 minutes.

Even last year alone, a bad year for Cholo, he was neck and neck with Hronek
Hronek .32 G/60 3.18 P/60
Cholo .62 G/60 3.1 G/60
Green ,51 g/60 2.04 P/60

The Cholo-to-Mantha or Cholo-to-Zadina pass is pretty effective.

Looking at other stats to see if there are red flags
Chlow's GA/60 of 2.41 is the worst on the team - a bit higher than Hronek at 2.21.
But Cholo's GF/60 is 6.71 - the highest. Kronwall at 6.5 is second best at 6.5 and Hronek is third best at 5.6, Green is ridiculously low at 3.28.

Detroit's shots/60 is at 44 with Cholo on the ice. Second to Kronwall's 50.
His shots against/60 is 9.93, best on the team.

Cholo's most concerning stat could be high danger corsi against .. 4.02/60 - second worst on the team. It implies there were some breakdowns with him on the point.
But in the end result, he still has a better GF/60 thank Hronek.

My eyes say Hronek is our best defenseman at running a PP by a good gap.

That said, I’d like to get Cholowski on a PP unit over some of the guys we have out there now.

Last edited:

Frk It

Mo Seider Less Problems
Jul 27, 2010
Over/under 10 shots (for DET) at the 30 min marker in this one?

LeighDx59

Nov 23, 2011
Detroit, MI
I expect a better game, especially having Ryan in the lineup. They have a game under their belt now after being off for ten months or so, so hopefully guys like Larkin/Manth/Bertuzzi will have a better game because they were underwhelming last game.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad