Confirmed with Link: Wings Buy Out Final 3 Years of Weiss' Contract

Roomba With a Bauer

Sep 11, 2007
In her defense, I doubt Ken Holland knew this one week ago. Talks must have heated up with one or two of the free agents IMO.

The Semin buyout may have changed things. Holland might add him to the wish list. I think he would be an easy sign for the chance to play with Datsyuk.

Retire91

Stevey Y you our Guy
May 31, 2010
So 1.5 million in forfit cap space on the books now through 2020-21? Brilliant move Holland.

Could have traded him with salary retention and actually got something for him.

TheRatPoisoner

Feb 23, 2015
Goes to show you how wrong Helen St. James is. Writes an entire article about how Weiss will be back next year for another attempt at redemption then a week later Weiss is bought out.

Khan wrote an article too.

Get your point though -- either they just speculate and don't really know anything like all of us, or it was a fluid situation, in which case they shouldn't have published the articles in the first place...

Electric Eric

#91 To the Rafters!
Feb 10, 2014
Portland -> Netherlands
So 1.5 million in forfit cap space on the books now through 2020-21? Brilliant move Holland.

Could have traded him with salary retention and actually got something for him.

I'm sure they tried but with is production, cap hit, and NMC it makes for a difficult contract to move.

I'm sure this was their last opinion available.

Frk It

Mo Seider Less Problems
Jul 27, 2010
In her defense, I doubt Ken Holland knew this one week ago. Talks must have heated up with one or two of the free agents IMO.

The "reserved spot" for a kid on defense will likely be gone if we sign someone, so I hope it's someone who is worth it.

SpookyTsuki

Dec 3, 2014
For those expecting Holland to sign a UFA now that we have cap space... think again.

Alot of those guys wont cost that much money. Quincey is gone next year, So thats 4.5 out the window. Datsyuk might be done. Howard will be traded

chances14

Jan 7, 2010
Michigan
if it was only done to create space to re sign other players, i don't think the buyout would have come down to the wire.

Retire91

Stevey Y you our Guy
May 31, 2010
Detroit would be replacing Stephen Weiss with a new Stephen Weiss if they sign Semin. I want nothing to do with that bum.

Exactly:

Holland
"the kids deserve a chance"
buysout Wiess
signs Semin
facepalm

Eggberto

Oct 26, 2013
So Holland is preparing cap space a year in advance and burdening us with a buyout for 6 years. Sounds like a great decision... Then again HSJ has proven time and time again that she doesn't know what she is talking about so I'll take that with a grain of salt.

r0bert8841

Jan 2, 2009
Michigan
I have had the suspicion these last few weeks the Wings have something planned this off season but are trying to temper everyone's expectations and build as little hype as possible, after the last few years heart breaking FA periods. I am hoping this is the case.

TheRatPoisoner

Feb 23, 2015
The reality is the Wings spoon feed the information they want released. We've seen it time and time again. Luckily it is just sports journalism, so I don't care.

You would think that they'd be smart enough to catch on to this though since it's their job / they supposedly have some kind of rapport with front office folks.

But you're right, sports journalism is about as inconsequential as it get, so it doesn't really matter. I'm just saying that it makes them look kinda foolish.

Frk It

Mo Seider Less Problems
Jul 27, 2010
So Holland is preparing cap space a year in advance and burdening us with a buyout for 6 years. Sounds like a great decision... Then again HSJ has proven time and time again that she doesn't know what she is talking about so I'll take that with a grain of salt.

I don't believe that's why this was actually done. Not at all.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad