Prospect Info: Wings at the WJC

golffuul

Oct 24, 2011
It simply isn't easy from a policy perspective and cultural differences undoubtedly shape those policies. Even if there is a very low risk of adverse health conditions to participants and you take the position that they are assuming the risk of infection by simply participating in the tournament, they are still spreading the illness to others once infected, many of whom have not expressly agreed to assume the same risk in the same fashion. I am sure the IIHF does not want to be perceived as a bunch of out-of-towners who set up tent in some Western Canada towns and further stressed an already stressed healthcare system for the entertainment of relatively few.

Honestly, they should have set up a proper bubble for the tournament. They could have given themselves more of a fighting chance if they wanted to. Half-assed efforts produce half-assed results.
They should have, at the bare minimum, not allowed the general public to have access to the hotels that the teams were staying in.

DetroitRed

Crashes the Crease
Apr 7, 2013
Detroit
I assume that ensuring the integrity of a COVID bubble or quarantine bubble is something that takes prior planning and is still pretty difficult to maintain. Moreover, there's an expense to it that a popular pro league like the NHL can afford, but maybe not the IIHF.

To me, so the latest variant is weaker but it's more contagious. That means you could see just as many people in the hospitals. But it also means, the chance for it to mutate again is greater and the next variant we get doesn't have to be weaker, it can be the worst virus ever known.

I guess if I'm a kid in the tournament, I'm bummed but sometimes that's how life goes. Can you imagine how bad it would suck to even just lose your sense of taste and/or smell for some hockey?

SirloinUB

Aug 20, 2010
Canada
I assume that ensuring the integrity of a COVID bubble or quarantine bubble is something that takes prior planning and is still pretty difficult to maintain. Moreover, there's an expense to it that a popular pro league like the NHL can afford, but maybe not the IIHF.

To me, so the latest variant is weaker but it's more contagious. That means you could see just as many people in the hospitals. But it also means, the chance for it to mutate again is greater and the next variant we get doesn't have to be weaker, it can be the worst virus ever known.

I guess if I'm a kid in the tournament, I'm bummed but sometimes that's how life goes. Can you imagine how bad it would suck to even just lose your sense of taste and/or smell for some hockey?

Very good points. And lets go back a month or two ago, was omicron and a need to do a lockdown style bubble on anybody's radar?

DetroitRed

Crashes the Crease
Apr 7, 2013
Detroit
Very good points. And lets go back a month or two ago, was omicron and a need to do a lockdown style bubble on anybody's radar?
It was, but that doesn't mean the IIHF can afford to, for example, buy out an entire hotel (or several) at places where the staff is willing to play along. Some hotels can go through staff pretty quick in the first place. So...you almost have to arrange special accommodations. How exactly the NHL was doing it last year, I'm not sure. Whether they hired in a special staff or what.

Rzombo4 prez

May 17, 2012
They should have, at the bare minimum, not allowed the general public to have access to the hotels that the teams were staying in.

Right? That seems like a very logical step that the IIHF could have taken out of an abundance of caution. It really blows my mind that they didn't. I think they were the least cost avoider in this situation and I blame them far more than I blame Canada or Alberta.

Reactions: golffuul

Henkka

Jan 31, 2004
Tampere, Finland

Nope, but people should be able to make rapid changes and build blan B's for this kind scenarios.

It's like bad coaching at hockey, when some team has certain system against you, and you can't react enough fast during a playoff series.

Good teams can react.

golffuul

Oct 24, 2011
Did Sabrango or Tyutyayev play?

Those are a couple guys I am excited about.
Sebrango did and looked good. Defensively responsible, got some PK time, and joined the rush, looking good with his passing and scoring touch.

Tyutuyaev is an overager so he wasnt there.

Reactions: Bench

newfy

Jul 28, 2010

Its actually outrageous that they didnt at least have them in their own hotels. Theyre out in the Texas of Canada where covid has been the most out of control and has the most anti vaxxers/anti maskers in the country.

Like it sounds so stupid that they had them at a hotel that had a big wedding reception, not even in hindsight, even before hand that sounds like a bad idea. I'm almost surpsied some of these teams didnt have big airbnbs where they coulda had a team cook in there cooking for them actually.

Reactions: deca guard

HoweFan

Jan 10, 2017
Just read some disturbing reports about a couple of junior teams being removed from flights in Calgary for unruly behaviour like smoking on plane, no masks, drinking, not listening to attendants. Cops called, flight delayed hours.

Jul 30, 2005
I mean, what is location, really
Just read some disturbing reports about a couple of junior teams being removed from flights in Calgary for unruly behaviour like smoking on plane, no masks, drinking, not listening to attendants. Cops called, flight delayed hours.
I guess it's just junior team singular. The Czech team was removed, but then the airline apologized because they only meant to remove the Russians and couldn't tell the difference. Comped hotel and airfare for the entire team as an apology

Henkka

Jan 31, 2004
Tampere, Finland
Did Sabrango or Tyutyayev play?

Those are a couple guys I am excited about.

SWE - LD Simon Edvinsson - Grade A+ , 1+2=3 points + minute-leader in 2 games.
SWE - C Theodor Niederbach - Grade A- , 2+0=2 points in 2 games. 2nd line Center
USA - RW Carter Mazur, Grade B+. 0+0 in one game. Scored against Finland on practise game. 2nd line RW and 3rd highest USA forward icetime. Played very physical game.
CAN - LD Donovan Sebrango - Grade B, 1+0=1 point in 2 games. +2. 17:56 AVG IT, 3rd most of CAN D.
FIN - LD Eemil Viro - Grade B, 0+0=0 in 2 games. +1. 18:47 AVG IT, 3rd most of FIN D.
CZE - G Jan Bednar - Grade B. Good on his single game. OT loss for Germany but .938 sv%.
CAN - G Sebastian Cossa - Grade C - no games.
USA - LW Red Savage - Grade D. 1 game 11:03 of IT. Did nothing special as a 4th liner.

I don't think anyone of our guys was bad. Everybody looked like they are going forward and developing well on their career. Only Savage didn't impress and could not see Cossa.

newfy

Jul 28, 2010
SWE - LD Simon Edvinsson - Grade A+ , 1+2=3 points + minute-leader in 2 games.
SWE - C Theodor Niederbach - Grade A- , 2+0=2 points in 2 games. 2nd line Center
USA - RW Carter Mazur, Grade B+. 0+0 in one game. Scored against Finland on practise game. 2nd line RW and 3rd highest USA forward icetime. Played very physical game.
CAN - LD Donovan Sebrango - Grade B, 1+0=1 point in 2 games. +2. 17:56 AVG IT, 3rd most of CAN D.
FIN - LD Eemil Viro - Grade B, 0+0=0 in 2 games. +1. 18:47 AVG IT, 3rd most of FIN D.
CZE - G Jan Bednar - Grade B. Good on his single game. OT loss for Germany but .938 sv%.
CAN - G Sebastian Cossa - Grade C - no games.
USA - LW Red Savage - Grade D. 1 game 11:03 of IT. Did nothing special as a 4th liner.

I don't think anyone of our guys was bad. Everybody looked like they are going forward and developing well on their career. Only Savage didn't impress and could not see Cossa.

Its only 2 games so pretty irrelevant but I would've had Sebrango as a B+ or maybe even A-. He was really good for Canada and was splitting hairs with Guhle for the 2nd most ice time. Showed more offensive chops than I expected

RabidBadger

Mazur detractors will look like dummies!
Sep 9, 2007
Detroitish
and by not doing so made it obvious they wanted the tourney to be shut down .

Whaaaat? Who is the conspiritatorial "they" who would want to shut down this tournament? Why would anyone have motive to shut down an event that involves multiple nations visiting your country to participate in the most popular sport of the host country?

Please do put forth your theories.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad