GDT: Wings at Leafs | January 7

Status
Not open for further replies.

SoupNazi

Serenity now. Insanity later.
Feb 6, 2010
Back to back after a tough loss, and after traveling?

I suspect the Leafs will beat us. I just hope we can keep that handsome Matthews, he of awesome hair, off the scoreboard.

Reactions: lilidk

13to40

Feb 29, 2016
Montreal
Will be interesting to see how they come out of the gates after last nights disappointing results. Hopefully they can convert early.

Apr 14, 2009
Canada
Leafs have won something ridiculous like 14 of the last 15 against the Wings. When we score a bunch of goals against them, they score more. When we play well defensively, they allow fewer. They are the team on the schedule that we just cannot beat.

It's all good though, I want a 3% shot at Bedard, so I'm good with losses.

JediOrderPizza

Apr 15, 2012
Tampa, Fl
Leafs have won something ridiculous like 14 of the last 15 against the Wings. When we score a bunch of goals against them, they score more. When we play well defensively, they allow fewer. They are the team on the schedule that we just cannot beat.

It's all good though, I want a 3% shot at Bedard, so I'm good with losses.
Leafs have won 12 of last 15, yeah not good. Matthews is a monster.

SoupNazi

Serenity now. Insanity later.
Feb 6, 2010
Leafs have won 12 of last 15, yeah not good. Matthews is a monster.
I present to you...Badhairzilla!

auston-matthews-2022-38.jpg

Apr 14, 2009
Canada
Yea, but I wasn't trying to portray the wings as having come in playing better than that.

I don't think we'll win, but Arizona beat them to end their winning streak so anything can happen.
Yeah, I know what you mean. I just have 0 confidence when we play the Leafs, and for whatever reason, the Leafs seem to up their play when they play us. Even when we play very well against them, they still seem to sneak out a 4-3 OT win or something. When we don't show up against them, it has 5-1 written all over it.

Unfortunately this is year 7 in a row where as a fan, I am perfectly fine with losses, because the playoffs are not happening this year. I don'T want the team to "tank" at all, I hope they come out and compete hard in every game, but given the ridiculous talent this year, I'm ok with losses as long as the team looks competitive. It's unfortunate that we are barely into the new year, and I'm already hoping for losses, but the reality is that the more we lose, the better chance we get at that elite franchise changing talent that we are starved for.

Reactions: NickH8 and Ezekial

Ezekial

Cheap Pizza, Okay Hockey
Sponsor
Nov 22, 2015
Chicago
Yeah, I know what you mean. I just have 0 confidence when we play the Leafs, and for whatever reason, the Leafs seem to up their play when they play us. Even when we play very well against them, they still seem to sneak out a 4-3 OT win or something. When we don't show up against them, it has 5-1 written all over it.

Unfortunately this is year 7 in a row where as a fan, I am perfectly fine with losses, because the playoffs are not happening this year. I don'T want the team to "tank" at all, I hope they come out and compete hard in every game, but given the ridiculous talent this year, I'm ok with losses as long as the team looks competitive. It's unfortunate that we are barely into the new year, and I'm already hoping for losses, but the reality is that the more we lose, the better chance we get at that elite franchise changing talent that we are starved for.
It also stinks that what was thought we would get with Vrana, Bert, and a lesser extent Fabbri (because he's looked solid in return) never really came to fruition with Bert being rusty and reinjured right away and Vrana coming back looking to find his original form.

haulinbass

Mar 6, 2014
It also stinks that what was thought we would get with Vrana, Bert, and a lesser extent Fabbri (because he's looked solid in return) never really came to fruition with Bert being rusty and reinjured right away and Vrana coming back looking to find his original form.

We just don't have the talent to win without those guys. Unfortunately those guys are our 2nd and 3rd best forwards which is pretty sad. I think even with them we would still fall around 17-20th in the league. Which doesn't do us much good anyway. So maybe it's best things played out this way. Winning 6 extra games doesn't make our players any better off and prepared going into next year. Had we been healthy would Berggren even got to play this many games? Would Soderblom got to play? Would Veleno be taking a step in the right direction? Would Rasmussen be getting as much playing time to develop? I would rather those guys get developed for our future than to been healthy and won a few more games. That's better for us going forward.

Berggren is looking like he could develop into a player that can really impact the game, he looks like a guy that can drive the play. A few weeks into next season and we could possibly in hindsight be thinking the most important thing that happened this season was that Berggren got to get into the lineup and there was room for him to play up the lineup due to injuries and get a real chance. His progression could prove to be the most important thing. As I said early on, I think Berggren is going to end up being better than Raymond.

Hopefully we lose enough games to make enduring this season worthwhile. There is some legit C talent this year all the way up until 6th it is looking like. Unfortunately I'm sure we will manage to fall just outside the top end C range like usual.

Nothing would feel better than hedging Kasper/Larkin with a highly promising top center prospect for me right now.

Last edited:

Ezekial

Cheap Pizza, Okay Hockey
Sponsor
Nov 22, 2015
Chicago
We just don't have the talent to win without those guys. Unfortunately those guys are our 2nd and 3rd best forwards which is pretty sad. I think even with them we would still fall around 17-20th in the league. Which doesn't do us much good anyway. So maybe it's best things played out this way. Winning 6 extra games doesn't make our players any better off and prepared going into next year. Had we been healthy would Berggren even got to play this many games? Would Soderblom got to play? Would Veleno be taking a step in the right direction? Would Rasmussen be getting as much playing time to develop? I would rather those guys get developed for our future than to been healthy and won a few more games. That's better for us going forward.

Berggren is looking like he could develop into a player that can really impact the game, he looks like a guy that can drive the play. A few weeks into next season and we could possibly in hindsight be thinking the most important thing that happened this season was that Berggren got to get into the lineup and there was room for him to play up the lineup due to injuries and get a real chance. His progression could prove to be the most important thing. As I said early on, I think Berggren is going to end up being better than Raymond.

Hopefully we lose enough games to make enduring this season worthwhile. There is some legit C talent this year all the way up until 6th it is looking like. Unfortunately I'm sure we will manage to fall just outside the top end C range like usual.

Nothing would feel better than hedging Kasper/Larkin with a highly promising top center prospect for me right now.
Half the season left and we're looking like we'll end as a team with a chance for #1 overall, probably a 3-6% chance, but a chance nonetheless.
This is a nice draft to pick up a couple picks at the deadline. That being said, I want to see this team win as many games as they can. I think that is good for them, and unlike maybe some others I see a lot of these guys on our team currently as guys that will be on our next playoff roster.

Reactions: NickH8

Hockeyfan2390

Nov 19, 2010
Kansas City, MO

Not me. This isn't some loser organization like Buffalo or Columbus, and it's not the 1970's anymore.

jfrank21

Oct 1, 2009
No, it's not a loser organization, but the fact remains that it takes a long time to dig out of a hole as big as the one left to Yzerman. The team was cap strapped and its most promising prospect at the time Stevie took over was a #6 overall who hasnt panned out as hoped. Holland and crew whiffed on virtually everything past the 1st or 2nd round for like 4 years, and even the higher picks didnt hit their potential. Ras is finally turning a corner, Veleno feels like he might be as well. But regardless, out of all the picks in 2017 and 2018, Berggren is the only one who looks like he might be able to score above .5/ppg. That's not going to get it done. Yzerman has shed all of the old anchor contracts, drafted some new cornerstones, stocked the prospect pipeline and tried to bring in better players than what he had.

Missing the playoffs this year isnt the end of the world. The games have been more fun to watch overall. Copp has been a bit of a disappointment, but otherwise all you can do is throw up your hands about the fact that something went wrong with Vrana, Bertuzzi hasnt played, and our two high end players are having sophomore slumps. It's also year one of a new coach, just for some perspective.

dalem177

Plausible Keats
Oct 4, 2021
Minnesota
Tank for Bedard time
Pfft. Persevering through a rough season as a team and developing chemistry is more important than rolling dice for one guy that you're not going to get anyway and who might not be great. Also, delivering a 1 for 3 second half with a team that is visibly improved and improving (they are undeniably better as a team than recent seasons, even special teams look better in positioning mostly but have NOT improved in execution) is important to the fan base. i.e. more skilled losing hockey is overall better for more factors, IMO, than worse tanking hockey, which is dumb and unwatchable and unrewarding.

All IMO of course.

Reactions: NickH8

theYman

Feb 28, 2008
Why is Fabbri out?? He at least scored last night. Nice to see Soderblom back in.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad