Post-Game Talk: Wings at Florida

14ari13

Oct 19, 2006
Norway
Yes. I couldn't tell if he was yelling at the linesman or Chiarot, but I didn't go back to rewind at the time to see if I could parse it out. He's clearly playing frustrated and understandably so. He very desperately wants to play well and knows what he wants to do, but it's not happening for him right now.

Maybe. I get the sense that both have a driven need to be "the guy" out there. Which is fine. Just don't put them on the same pairing. That doesn't help the team.
Who

14ari13

Oct 19, 2006
Norway
? Oh I get it...

Moritz.

And then Moritz and Seider.
He doesn't like to lose. He shows he wants to win, but we don't have the team to win as much as he would like.
This was maybe his best game of the season or one of the best.

Unfortunately Nedeljkovic, Hagg and Lindstrom are not good enough. While Raymond and Kubalik can't buy one.

Copp has been maybe our best player last 10 games

Czerwone Skrzydla

Mar 17, 2016
The biggest missed opportunity this game was not trying out Hronek and Chiarot. There's no way you break up Hronek and Maatta while they're playing so well but this gives you an opportunity to see if it's really just Hronek or if it was the pairing, plus you'd see if Seider can get going with another partner.

I'm not sure what's going on with Ned but something needs to change. Does anyone have any idea if the team has (or encourages visiting) a sports psychologist? I'd think with everybody looking for an edge they would, but if not it seems like something that could help a lot of players, especially goalies.

Reactions: jkutswings

norrisnick

The best...
Apr 14, 2005
Sure he can. He has 6 NHL games to his name at age 31.

What's David Ayres up to?
He's 3-0 in his starts with a .910 and 2.33GA. It's not like he's pissed down his leg when given any chances. Which makes it weird that he's not seeing anything more than that.

Ok, looking through more of his history.

Drafted to Nashville high in the 2nd round. With Rinne/Hutton at the NHL level when he was ready to come up.
Traded to Rangers with Lundqvist/Rantta doing the same in front of him.
So he says F it and goes to the KHL and plays well for 5 seasons. Igor Shesterkin was his backup/platoon partner (Hellberg had more games) in 2018-19 before Igor came over.
Signs with the Wings behind Ned/Greiss and wins the only game he plays.
Signs with Seattle and then the waiver claim rodeo of this season.

It just looks like at the very start of his career he was in a backlog so he went to the KHL. So now he doesn't have a trusted resume so he's not getting looks if there are established guys or prospects taking the development spots. I don't think he's ever been viewed as not being any good.

Reactions: OgeeOgelthorpe

cvaicunas

Aug 25, 2021
There reportedly hasn't been any discussion of giving Hellberg a look at backup.

I'm sorry, since when did Blashill return? Since when is Ned's 5+ GAA acceptable in a year Detroit is supposed to be back in the playoffs?

This is garbage. Fix it immediately, or don't give him any more starts. I'm sick of this "well maybe in a few years we'll be good enough to maybe think about challenging for a wild card". This is Detroit, not some brokeass team that nobody cares about like Buffalo or Columbus.
I mean, who said they were meant to be back in the playoffs this year. Any statements from the management and coaching staff have centered around the plan to 'get better', 'make improvements', or 'learn the right way to play.' Most of us would love to watch the Wings in a playoff series, some of us would also rather they get a crack at one more mid to high first round pick. That said, I think most realistic viewpoints have centered around them not making the playoffs, but the recent successes of the team have gotten some of us a little excited, understandably.
Furthermore, Ned's GAA is sitting at 4.09, it's not above 5. Obviously that is not acceptable, but when utilizing statistics in an argument, it certainly helps to cite factual statistics.

Reactions: Lazlo Hollyfeld

Ricelund

̶W̶e̶ ̶l̶i̶k̶e̶ ̶o̶u̶r̶ ̶t̶e̶a̶m̶
Apr 16, 2006
New York, NY
He's 3-0 in his starts with a .910 and 2.33GA. It's not like he's pissed down his leg when given any chances. Which makes it weird that he's not seeing anything more than that.

Ok, looking through more of his history.

Drafted to Nashville high in the 2nd round. With Rinne/Hutton at the NHL level when he was ready to come up.
Traded to Rangers with Lundqvist/Rantta doing the same in front of him.
So he says F it and goes to the KHL and plays well for 5 seasons. Igor Shesterkin was his backup/platoon partner (Hellberg had more games) in 2018-19 before Igor came over.
Signs with the Wings behind Ned/Greiss and wins the only game he plays.
Signs with Seattle and then the waiver claim rodeo of this season.

It just looks like at the very start of his career he was in a backlog so he went to the KHL. So now he doesn't have a trusted resume so he's not getting looks if there are established guys or prospects taking the development spots. I don't think he's ever been viewed as not being any good.
If he were any good, he'd have more than 3 NHL starts to his name at age 31. He's not just a victim of circumstance.

norrisnick

The best...
Apr 14, 2005
If he were any good, he'd have more than 3 NHL starts to his name at age 31. He's not just a victim of circumstance.
I'm not calling him a victim of anything.

He got drafted to a team with a workhorse. He did the AHL thing in his early 20s. Got to the point where he'd get more than a 12 minute glimpse of NHL action.

And gets traded to a team with a workhorse. Spends two more years in the AHL getting a game and a half of NHL time.

So he goes to the KHL to play. 169 games over 5 years 1.944 GAA and .929 SV and signs a contract with the Wings to finish the season. The three NHL starts he's had, he's got better than league average numbers.

He's not playing poorly anywhere. I'm not sure of any place that tracks preseason stats, so maybe he's just really bad in training camps. I have no idea.

I just think it's not as simple as "he hasn't played, so clearly he's not good enough."

OgeeOgelthorpe

Baldina
Feb 29, 2020

There’s definitely a label of ‘career minor leaguer’ that gets stuck to some guys, and it’s almost impossible to shake whether it’s true or not.

I don’t know if that’s the case with Hellberg, but I do know keeping Ned in is not getting results. He’s been awful. I’d give Hellberg the start over Ned now.

Reactions: Filppula

norrisnick

The best...
Apr 14, 2005
Was Thomas 30?
He played 4 NHL games when he was 28. Backup at 31, starter at 32.

he did 4yrs in NCAA,
a year mixed between IHL, ECHL, and SM-Liiga,
a year between SM-Liiga and AHL,
a year in the IHL,
a year in the SEL,
a year in SM-Liiga,
a year in AHL with NHL cup of coffee,
a year in AHL,
a year in SM-Liiga,
a year split between AHL/NHL
NHL starter

Gniwder

Oct 12, 2009
Bellingham, WA
Walman was scratched, Määttä under the weather / sick.
Thanks.

Maatta could barf his lungs out and still be better than Hagg, but I suppose we don't want the other players catching whatever he has.

Scratching Walman makes no sense when the team is already missing Maatta. Should have just put Hagg with Hronek and called it good. Hronek is used to playing with AHL level talent.

14ari13

Oct 19, 2006
Norway
Thanks.

Maatta could barf his lungs out and still be better than Hagg, but I suppose we don't want the other players catching whatever he has.

Scratching Walman makes no sense when the team is already missing Maatta. Should have just put Hagg with Hronek and called it good. Hronek is used to playing with AHL level talent.
3rd pairing was brutal.

I also think Lalonde manages the goalies wrong. He should play Nedeljkovic vs Dallas and Husso vs Florida. And Nedeljkovic at home vs rangers

Gniwder

Oct 12, 2009
Bellingham, WA
3rd pairing was brutal.

I also think Lalonde manages the goalies wrong. He should play Nedeljkovic vs Dallas and Husso vs Florida. And Nedeljkovic at home vs rangers
Just play Husso unless it's back to back. I'm with the guys above that want to see Hellberg play once. Take it from there.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad