Pre-Game Talk: Wings at Canadiens, Wednesday

Status
Not open for further replies.

Kronwalled55

Detroit vs. Everybody
Jan 7, 2011
Atlanta, GA
I don't really like the idea of just throwing Weiss into the top 6 either.

He hasn't played top 6 quality hockey since 11-12. That's 2 seasons and 2 surgeries ago. Let him get some limited minutes to show that he's ready to contribute and gain a bigger role. Until that point, Datsyuk, Helm, Franzen, and Sheahan have all shown significantly more at center.

But at the same time you want to get him going too.

The sole purpose of acquiring him was to have a 2nd line center that could produce so that 13 and 40 could be reunited OR allow for more flexibility between top 6 wingers.

Weiss is not Datsyuk or Zetterberg... He just doesn't have the flashiness or star talent to make a big contribution with little ice time or bottom 6 players. The best thing they can do is put him with some good talent for a while, and if he fails drop him down in the lineup.

You can argue that he isn't a real top 6 center if he can't play with bottom 6 wingers, but that's another topic. All I know is, we're stuck with him for a while and paying him damn good money. At least give him the best CHANCE to succeed. I'm not saying we need to make him the next Cleary part 2 and spoon-feed him undeservingly.

silkyjohnson50

Jan 10, 2007
But at the same time you want to get him going too.

The sole purpose of acquiring him was to have a 2nd line center that could produce so that 13 and 40 could be reunited OR allow for more flexibility between top 6 wingers.

Weiss is not Datsyuk or Zetterberg... He just doesn't have the flashiness or star talent to make a big contribution with little ice time or bottom 6 players. The best thing they can do is put him with some good talent for a while, and if he fails drop him down in the lineup.

You can argue that he isn't a real top 6 center if he can't play with bottom 6 wingers, but that's another topic. All I know is, we're stuck with him for a while and paying him damn good money. At least give him the best CHANCE to succeed. I'm not saying we need to make him the next Cleary part 2 and spoon-feed him undeservingly.

But at the same time you have to understand that there's a time and a place. Experimenting with him in a big role when you're coming down the closing stretch and every single point counts is a big deal. His contract has no effect on whether or not he should get an opportunity to prove his worth. Not in this situation. Winning means more. If he shows he can play and contribute then great. But just throwing him above players that have shown much more this season is a huge risk and missing the playoffs could be the downfall.

Number1RedWingsFan52

Mar 17, 2013
Winter Haven Florida
Is Franzen and Weiss back already? Finally some good news if so. I need something to cheer me up. Although Weiss, in particular, and to some extent also Franzen, still need to play better than they did before.

Actually Franzen was playing pretty well before his concussion occured. Hopefully he can pick it up again and the same with Weiss we need both of them to step up and be leaders we all know that Datsyuk will be fine.

Pavels Dog

Feb 18, 2013
Sweden
I'm so ready for NHL hockey. Olympics were nice but it made me realize that the NHL is really where it's at.

Let's see:

Franzen-Datsyuk-Nyquist
Abdelkader-Helm-Alfredsson
Jurco-Sheahan-Tatar
Miller-Weiss-Glendening

Huddy*

Aug 6, 2009
Bloomfield Hills, MI
But at the same time you want to get Weiss going too. The sole purpose of acquiring him was to have a 2nd line center that could produce so that 13 and 40 could be reunited OR allow for more flexibility between top 6 wingers.

I don't really like the idea of just throwing Weiss into the top 6 either.

He hasn't played top 6 quality hockey since 11-12. That's 2 seasons and 2 surgeries ago. Let him get some limited minutes to show that he's ready to contribute and gain a bigger role. Until that point, Datsyuk, Helm, Franzen, and Sheahan have all shown significantly more at center.

You have to at this point with Z gone for an extended period of time. Its about time Weiss steps up and shows something to the coaching staff. Weiss is definitely not tradable at this point given his lack of performance and injuries, so Babs better find a way to make him most productive. They are forced to throw him into top six given their circumstances...Im okay with Weiss playing over Sheahan and Helm has shown hes more effective in bottom 6...Conclusion Weiss has to play top 6 min as the other options make the team weaker. Weiss I think will blossom bc of the extended role to play more minutes, minutes the Wings are paying him for

Sards

Sep 27, 2013
if Weiss is back I would like to see something like this with three scoring lines, and one checking line. Glendening sent down
Weiss Dats Alfie
Jurco Sheahan Tatar
Franzen Helm Nyquist
Miller Andersson Gator

or with Jurco sent down:

Weiss Dats Alfie
Nyquist Sheahan Tatar
Franzen Helm Gator
Miller Andersson Glendening

Gives Weiss some playing time to get into a rhythm without putting too much pressure on him.

silkyjohnson50

Jan 10, 2007
You have to at this point with Z gone for an extended period of time. Its about time Weiss steps up and shows something to the coaching staff. Weiss is definitely not tradable at this point given his lack of performance and injuries, so Babs better find a way to make him most productive. They are forced to throw him into top six given their circumstances...Im okay with Weiss playing over Sheahan and Helm has shown hes more effective in bottom 6...Conclusion Weiss has to play top 6 min as the other options make the team weaker. Weiss I think will blossom bc of the extended role to play more minutes, minutes the Wings are paying him for

Why exactly does Weiss have to play? If he doesn't make the team better then he shouldn't play, regardless of role. With Z on LTIR Detroit has no cap issues. Their only issue is winning and who to send down or waive to comply with roster #s.

I don't like the argument "makes the bottom 6 better" if it means making the top 6 worse. And once again, Weiss hasn't been an effective top 6 player in over 2 seasons (and 2 surgeries ago.) Statistically speaking he's played the last 2 seasons at a Dan Cleary level more so than a 2nd line center level.

At the end of the day he's going to get a chance to play at earn his role. My point being he should have to earn it. Giving him a role just for the sake of giving it to him and potentially making the team worse because of it seems like a boneheaded move for a team clinging onto a playoff spot right now.

The Zetterberg Era

Ball Hockey Sucks
Nov 8, 2011
Ft. Myers, FL
Doesn't sound like he will play but Sproul is up right now for practice and might accompany the team as the 7th D-man.

Holland said the club recalled defenseman Ryan Sproul from Grand Rapids to assure they’ll have at least five defensemen for practice Tuesday.

Niklas Kronwall and Jonathan Ericsson, as well as forwards Daniel Alfredsson and Gustav Nyquist, were given the day off Tuesday after playing in the gold medal game for Sweden on Sunday (3-0 loss to Canada). But they will be ready to play Wednesday.

Holland said it hasn’t been determined if Sproul will return to Grand Rapids after practice or accompany the team on the trip as the seventh defenseman.

http://www.mlive.com/redwings/index.ssf/2014/02/red_wings_stephen_weiss_and_ja.html#incart_river

silkyjohnson50

Jan 10, 2007
With Alfie and Nyquist getting the day off tomorrow it's going to be difficult to attempt to decipher the line combos.

Going to he a lot of heads rolling when they see Cleary-Datsyuk-Bertuzzi lol

theYman

Feb 28, 2008
Yess finally back to the real hockey tournament. I'll trade Zetterberg being out for rest of the season for everyone else getting back from injuries and no more injuries the rest of the way. Is it true Weiss will be back?

Cyborg Yzerberg

Nov 8, 2007
Philadelphia
Zetterberg is the captain, no one else will wear the C. Datsyuk, Alfredsson, and Kronwall will wear the A's.(If any of them get hurt, it'll be Franzen next.) My biggest concern, next to the fact that we have lost our best player, is how this will effect Nyquist who's really benefited playing with Hank.

jerrymac

Oct 24, 2011
GB
Ansar Khan ‏@AnsarKhanMLive 12m
Datsyuk said he hopes to play tomorrow but didn't sound like it's a sure thing. Said the pain in knee is same as before.

SoupNazi

Serenity now. Insanity later.
Feb 6, 2010
Ansar Khan ‏@AnsarKhanMLive 36m
Kindl said he's not expecting to play next 2 games. Right knee still weaker than left. Needs more practice time.

Ansar Khan ‏@AnsarKhanMLive 25m
Weiss said he's not ready to play next two games. Needs more practice time. Will skate with Wings instead of playing in GR for now.

Ansar Khan ‏@AnsarKhanMLive 17m
Babcock said Franzen has been cleared but he hasn't decided if he'll play tomorrow. Said all lineup decisions will be made tomorrow.

Ansar Khan ‏@AnsarKhanMLive 16m
Sproul said he is going on the trip with Wings, not going back to GR right away. Gives team 7 healthy D with Kindl out.

Ansar Khan ‏@AnsarKhanMLive 13m
Datsyuk and Howard both declined to talk about their Olympic experiences. Babcock talked about his.

Vladdy84

L-O-Y-A-L-T-Y
Dec 1, 2011
Farmington
Ansar Khan ‏@AnsarKhanMLive 36m
Kindl said he's not expecting to play next 2 games. Right knee still weaker than left. Needs more practice time.

Ansar Khan ‏@AnsarKhanMLive 25m
Weiss said he's not ready to play next two games. Needs more practice time. Will skate with Wings instead of playing in GR for now.

Ansar Khan ‏@AnsarKhanMLive 17m
Babcock said Franzen has been cleared but he hasn't decided if he'll play tomorrow. Said all lineup decisions will be made tomorrow.

Ansar Khan ‏@AnsarKhanMLive 16m
Sproul said he is going on the trip with Wings, not going back to GR right away. Gives team 7 healthy D with Kindl out.

Ansar Khan ‏@AnsarKhanMLive 13m
Datsyuk and Howard both declined to talk about their Olympic experiences. Babcock talked about his.

:cry: The Return of Clears is Approaching :cry:

SoupNazi

Serenity now. Insanity later.
Feb 6, 2010
Ansar Khan ‏@AnsarKhanMLive 4m
Franzen said doctors cleared him but they want to make sure he doesn't experience any symptoms at the skate tomorrow. Will decide after.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad