Confirmed with Link: Wings acquire Jeff Petry for Gustav Lindstrom and a 2025 4th round pick

schuelma24

Jul 14, 2023
Yes, but they also don't all get hurt at the same time... But to answer your question only Seider, Maatta, and Chiarot of the guys cleared 67 games played last year.

When we hired Yzerman it was pointed out he comes from the Holland, Nill, and Devellano who don't gift roster spots, he didn't Tampa either. However, at this point I think we should take how Yzerman has handled a chunk of roster moments to stop looking around like the sky is falling. Seider makes the team maybe a bit late but is ready. Raymond makes the team basically with them all saying they would like him to be in Grand Rapids organization wide. Berggren gets called up and even with a second half slump is kept up. I don't know he plays the guys that don't get themselves taken out of the lineup and hurt. I have to give Yzerman that, I think some of the guys we worry about we will see and if they run with their opportunity somebody we don't care much about will pay the price to make that opening.

Also Elmer making the team directly out of camp last year. Don't think many had that on their bingo card.

Zetterberg4Captain

Aug 11, 2009
Detroit
Yes, but they also don't all get hurt at the same time... But to answer your question only Seider, Maatta, and Chiarot of the guys cleared 67 games played last year.

When we hired Yzerman it was pointed out he comes from the Holland, Nill, and Devellano tree who don't gift roster spots, he didn't Tampa either. However, at this point I think we should take how Yzerman has handled a chunk of roster moments to stop looking around like the sky is falling. Seider makes the team maybe a bit late but is ready. Raymond makes the team basically with them all saying they would like him to be in Grand Rapids organization wide. Berggren gets called up and even with a second half slump is kept up. I don't know he plays the guys that don't get themselves taken out of the lineup and hurt. I have to give Yzerman that, I think some of the guys we worry about we will see and if they run with their opportunity somebody we don't care much about will pay the price to make that opening.

Absolutely I see your point..

I'm not whatsoever saying the sky is falling or I know how to build a better NHL roster, but, I dont forsee SY sitting healthy experienced expensive NHL veterans for any rookie dmen this year, regardless of how well in our opinion they play. Injuries will of course happen but unless its multiple long term, Seider, Walman, Ghost, Petry, Maata, Holl and Chariot will be our dcorps no matter what.

Soderblom played over inexpensive, AHL level bums.

lets not forget that..

I dont believe we have that equivalent in our dcorps .

Reactions: ricky0034

Go Wings

Sep 26, 2009
Chatham, ON
Um, what?

Ghost is very good offensively (top 30 among defenseman over last 2 seasons combined) and was signed for nothing other than $$ to replace the offense of Hronek who was traded away for premium picks.

Petry has never been bad defensively.

Holl is a bottom 4 PK guy, whatever.
Petry has never been bad defensively? Are you serious? He has regularly led the NHL in giveaways throughout his career. He is not good defensively.

I said Ghost was fine offensively but it is his defense I am concerned about along with Petry and Holl.

SMP17

Apr 1, 2023

When we hired Yzerman it was pointed out he comes from the Holland, Nill, and Devellano tree who don't gift roster spots, he didn't Tampa either. However, at this point I think we should take how Yzerman has handled a chunk of roster moments to stop looking around like the sky is falling. Seider makes the team maybe a bit late but is ready. Raymond makes the team basically with them all saying they would like him to be in Grand Rapids organization wide. Berggren gets called up and even with a second half slump is kept up. I don't know he plays the guys that don't get themselves taken out of the lineup and hurt. I have to give Yzerman that, I think some of the guys we worry about we will see and if they run with their opportunity somebody we don't care much about will pay the price to make that opening.
I think there’s a lot that’s built up to this point with the fanbase and it’s impacting how they think. You have the Larkin/Mrazek movement where neither of them were supposed to make the jump when they did for their draft position, mix that with how terrible we’ve been and then Seider/Raymond make it during Covid when they do…it’s not normal. We’re dying for the next man up to be another successful hit to where they’re here in 1-2 years but that’s not always the case. Imagine if these last few years we had complete busts or average hits/the guys weren’t ready when they were. Would be complete chaos.

dalem177

Plausible Keats
Oct 4, 2021
Minnesota
Way too many people smarter than the organization on here. We’re screwed cap-wise, Edvinsson should’ve been rushed up after shoulder surgery, nobody can be moved because of modified no-trades….pack it up before the season starts they have no clue what they’re doing.
Set fire to the bus, eject the warp core, send out the log buoy, jettison the warp engines and crack out with the main section if you have to, and gas all decks but this one!"

Reactions: SMP17

Hoog

Feb 4, 2021
Is Steve building a bullpen of sorts with his defense? Whoever statistically should play plays or maybe doing the NBA thing and resting older guys for the season so they have juice for the playoffs? Seems he has something in mind.

saska sault

Jun 5, 2010
Sault Ste. Marie
Depth, depth, depth. And more depth.
it genuinely boggles my mind that anyone can live through the backend of the Ken Holland era and not be the slightest bit concerned when there's like 50 vets blocking prospects and the team keeps adding more

"Edvinsson will play anyways if he deserves to" is a comforting little story to tell yourself but that's all it really is
What stops the Wings from scratching someone to let Ed play if he earns it ? Cap space?

rangersblues

Mar 21, 2010
I like the trade and the depth it creates. If I recall Petry played a major role in the Habs making the finals. I just hope it isn't at the expense of the development of the young guys.

Lazlo Hollyfeld

The jersey ad still sucks
Mar 4, 2004
Yzerman has shown since almost the day he came on board that part of his plan for rebuilding is increasing capital. Draft capital, trade capital, cap space capital, player capital. You can also call those things assets. A lot of these individual signings and trades that seem largely inconsequential on their own add up. When they work out, they provide extra ammunition for further improvement down the line. And if they don't work out, they cost so little to begin with that there's no harm. People want to pick these things apart, pick the Petry trade apart, worry about prospects like Ed, but they are missing the forest from the trees.

Yzerman has said over and over again that he's out there "trying to improve the team," and while fans usually interpret that as meaning he's trying to improve it to have a better product on the ice immediately, I think that's only half of it. The other half is accumulating those assets and increasing capital for the long term. It creates a kind of snowball effect. Trade away something worth 1 piece of currency and get something worth a 2. Flip that later for a 4. Take advantage of your cap space, take advantage of players wanting to "come home," take advantage of other GMs in a tough spot. Do those things multiple times, branch them all out, and you'll start getting results. It's the slow way, but thanks to lottery luck, Detroit wasn't able to take the quicker way. So instead Yzerman has to put his things down, flip them, and reverse them. Is it worth it? Let him work it.
great post. bonus points for the Missy Elliot reference.

Reactions: sepster

Lazlo Hollyfeld

The jersey ad still sucks
Mar 4, 2004
it genuinely boggles my mind that anyone can live through the backend of the Ken Holland era and not be the slightest bit concerned when there's like 50 vets blocking prospects and the team keeps adding more

"Edvinsson will play anyways if he deserves to" is a comforting little story to tell yourself but that's all it really is

Even as someone who's been critical of Holland, what great prospects rotted in GR?

eojsmada

Oct 23, 2022
Decent trade today. Jettisoned a non-functioning Lindstrom and getting Petry on an easy 2-year cap hit. Seems like if things go well enough with how the contracts are set to fall off, that Edvinsson will eventually replace Gostisbhere, Wallinder will replace Petry and Pellika will replace Holl or Chiarot.

Solid work by Yzerman to keep the team competitive and allow for the younger kids to develop properly while still having a winning attitude/roster for the forward corps to try and get better.

Pavels Dog

Feb 18, 2013
Sweden

There's almost no good examples of 'Holland era' blocking of prospects except like.. Darren Helm and 30 games of Nyquist. Those teams never had Edvinssons, Kaspers, Seiders and Raymonds sitting around being blocked.
In the Yzerman era we've seen nothing but good development choices and a willingness to play prospects that show they are ready (Raymond, Seider, Söderblom, Berggren, etc.). You are fighting windmills.

Reactions: sepster

Henkka

Jan 31, 2004
Tampere, Finland

This how Yzerman operated on early Tampa days. Got his Coburns and overpaid for Carle. Traded for Brewer. At first they blocked his kids and only kid on the roster was Hedman (read: Seider).

By time, when the other kids matured, he started slotting them in and traded people out.

Nothing new in here. Yzerman is rebuilding with a "learn from a vet" -vision. And he learned this from Holland.

Henkka

Jan 31, 2004
Tampere, Finland
Nobody in here wasn't mentioned about the possibility of Jake Walman being injured.

He was going to play for Canada at WHC, but had to skip the tournament because of injury. I remember his timeline for return could be same like Edvinsson's. Maybe not ready for season start.

So the season-starting healthy Top6 could be:

Määttä - Seider
Ghost - Petry
Chiarot - Holl

Walman IR
Edvinsson IR

If we start the season with those guys, and when it takes 10 games, someone else is injured, then Walman returns... when we play next 10 games, someone else will get injured and Edvinsson is called up....

..that's how it usually goes. Nothing goes like you plan it on paper.

Usually the first injury comes already at camp, or at pre-season games.

Oddbob

Jan 21, 2016
What am I missing with this add on? Now we have 7 D getting paid good money or Seider, so who is the healthy scratch? Or is there an injury to any of the other 6?

Injuries will happen and good chance we run with 7 D anyways.

Yes, but it doesn't make sense financially to have Holl at 3.4 as 7th D or sitting.

If Holl has to be a every night player because of his PK value, I could see a situation where Petry/Gostisbehere switch out pretty regularly with each other next to Maatta.

If Holl plays over Petry, than Lalonde needs to be fired. I don't even care for Petry, but Holl is right there with Chiarot as worst defender on our current NHL blueline.

Pavels Dog

Feb 18, 2013
Sweden
Yes, but it doesn't make sense financially to have Holl at 3.4 as 7th D or sitting.

If Holl plays over Petry, than Lalonde needs to be fired. I don't even care for Petry, but Holl is right there with Chiarot as worst defender on our current NHL blueline.
It’s a hockey team, not an investment portfolio. If the 7th best d-man on the roster makes 3.4 mil you sit him. These scenarios SHOULD happen on a rebuilding team when cheap ELCs push veterans out of the lineup.

Reactions: stillwater

Oddbob

Jan 21, 2016
It’s a hockey team, not an investment portfolio. If the 7th best d-man on the roster makes 3.4 mil you sit him. These scenarios SHOULD happen on a rebuilding team when cheap ELCs push veterans out of the lineup.

I know that, just seems weird in the NHL for that as the starting plan. Of course there will be injuries, but there may not be right away. It is just weird is all that 3.4 is the potential 7th D. No problem with the trade as Lindstrom was useless so no loss with him gone.

Pavels Dog

Feb 18, 2013
Sweden
I know that, just seems weird in the NHL for that as the starting plan. Of course there will be injuries, but there may not be right away. It is just weird is all that 3.4 is the potential 7th D. No problem with the trade as Lindstrom was useless so no loss with him gone.
Honestly don't know if there is a starting plan except "give Lalonde options". I was fine with the scenario of having Lindström as the clear 7th D, but ideally you have a 7th D-man you actually feel confident putting into the lineup, not one you never want on the ice. If everyone's healthy this will easily be the most competitive D-core we've had in a decade.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad