Confirmed with Link: Wings acquire Jeff Petry for Gustav Lindstrom and a 2025 4th round pick

jaster

Take me off ignore, please.
Jun 8, 2007
I'm not much of a Petry fan, but it's a nice upgrade and makes this team stronger. There are now 7 healthy, legit NHL-level D on this roster. Nice depth, nice options.

We can leave Edvinsson to focus on getting healthy, getting back up to speed in GR, and ready to jump in when there's enough injuries, or when Maatta or Gostisbere gets traded at the deadline.

ricky0034

Jun 8, 2010
I can't wait to see Edvinsson in 2026 when he runs out of waiver immunity gonna be exciting

Snuggs

Jun 24, 2018
If Holl has to be a every night player because of his PK value, I could see a situation where Petry/Gostisbehere switch out pretty regularly with each other next to Maatta.

Reactions: Holden Caufield

DoMakc

Jun 28, 2006
Berggren's contract is a negative concern level right now. He's either gonna bridge for a reasonable number or they extend him for a steal of a deal. Seider and Raymond's dollars are budgeted. The Wings aren't going to lose either one of them. I'd be floored if they didn't have the fancy version of a cap-friendly layout that has an 8-9M block for Seider long term and something similar for Raymond. Rasmussen needs to keep showing he is the guy he's become. He'll either show he's worth a huge deal and it changes the plans or he gets Perron money next year.

It's not about losing anybody. It's about being able to ice copetetive roster going forward and financial flexibility. Currently Red Wings have round about 30 mil in 2024-25 cap space with 6 F 5 D and 2 G signed. Seider+Raymond+Moose+Berggren will cost round about 21-22 mil. There is not much room for improvement. Paying 36-year-old 7th D a 2,34 is not a wise way to spend money, especially with Matthews, Nylander, Guentzel, Hellebuyck, etc. on market.

The only possible explanation is expected Chiarot (or less probable Määttä) trade. Otherwise I don't understand why need to do it.

Pavels Dog

Feb 18, 2013
Sweden
It's not about losing anybody. It's about being able to ice copetetive roster going forward and financial flexibility. Currently Red Wings have round about 30 mil in 2024-25 cap space with 6 F 5 D and 2 G signed. Seider+Raymond+Moose+Berggren will cost round about 21-22 mil. There is not much room for improvement. Paying 36-year-old 7th D a 2,34 is not a wise way to spend money, especially with Matthews, Nylander, Guentzel, Hellebuyck, etc. on market.

The only possible explanation is expected Chiarot (or less probable Määttä) trade. Otherwise I don't understand why need to do it.
I've heard Natalie Portman is on the market too.

norrisnick

The best...
Apr 14, 2005
Nobody has to be. HFBoard heads will want someone moved to guarantee Edvinsson a spot, ignoring the fact that we are damn near certain to have long stretches of one or two D hurt, so Simon will be up and playing a bunch. Teams build this logjam because they know hockey is a rough game and they want to not be playing f***in garbage if a guy hurts.
We'll be doing that if no one gets hurt anyway, so what difference does it make?

Axel Sandy Pelikan

Jonatan Berggren is our Lord and Savior,
May 11, 2023
We'll be doing that if no one gets hurt anyway, so what difference does it make?
Look, I know you hate Holl, you hate Chiarot, you hate Gostisbehere, and you hate Petry. But all of them are legitimate NHL caliber D men.

If Edvinsson is so f***ing good and they are so f***ing bad, he's going to make the team over one of them.

Pavels Dog

Feb 18, 2013
Sweden
It would be a pity, if we are not getting them because we are paying 2,34 to a 7th D.
Toronto has negative cap space and need to sign half their roster next summer and are likely to re-sign both Matthews and Nylander. No, overpaying our 7th D will not be the issue here.

Axel Sandy Pelikan

Jonatan Berggren is our Lord and Savior,
May 11, 2023
It would be a pity, if we are not getting them because we are paying 2,34 to a 7th D.
We bury him and it's 1m? We buy him out and it's in the hundreds of thousands range. We retain 50% on him and deal him at 1.17m to a team so they could bury him with no issue? Hell, we might get a 3rd.

I love how many experts come out of the woodwork to complain about this stuff.

jaster

Jun 8, 2007
Injuries aside, the Wings roster of 23 this season will include 9 new acquisitions. A full 39% roster turnover. With that much change, the range of outcomes for this team is relatively wide. To say today that they are going to suck seems a bit premature. They might, but Yzerman has done a lot of work to make this team better, and we might actually, you know, see the team improve.

Reactions: sepster

lilidk

Mar 4, 2008
Not only kids should compete for positions , but now by veterans also

DoMakc

Jun 28, 2006
We bury him and it's 1m? We buy him out and it's in the hundreds of thousands range. We retain 50% on him and deal him at 1.17m to a team so they could bury him with no issue? Hell, we might get a 3rd.

I love how many experts come out of the woodwork to complain about this stuff.
Yeah, like Habs were getting 1st for him if they retain. But what do I know about this, I'm not such an expert like you. I just hope you do not approach your financial planning in a same way. Zero is relative if you have limit on your credit card, right?

Edit: There are no retentions possible anymore on his contract - 2 is a maximum. Well it seems like you are not an expert after all, i'm dissapointed.

Last edited:

jaster

Jun 8, 2007
Also, the concerns over cap space are kinda weird. Between the number of short contracts, and Yzerman's willingness to shuffle the deck.... this roster has a good bit of flexibility. If we need to shave a few million for the chance to sign a star UFA in 11 months, it's pretty doable.

Ed Ned and Leddy

Brokering the Bally Sports + Corncob TV Merger
Apr 1, 2019
Detroit to DC
Trading a mid to late 4th and about 2m in cap space, that would otherwise go unused, to upgrade from Lindstrom to Petry. I honestly don’t see the issue unless you like cap space for the sake of cap space.

Edit: this really doesn’t change the picture for Edvinsson at all either. If anything, Perry’s old-ass is less likely to suit up for 82 games than Lindstrom is.

Reactions: Lazlo Hollyfeld

odin1981

There can be only 1!
Mar 8, 2013
Canton Mi
I would guess that with this being the case, unless Chiapet is on the move, Stevie wants Mazur, Kasper, Edvinsson, Lombardi, Sods, and Wallinder to have a deep meaningful run in the AHL this year. Sure injuries could occur and Ed and Kasper could force their way onto the roster.

ricky0034

Jun 8, 2010
Trading a mid to late 4th and about 2m in cap space, that would otherwise go unused, to upgrade from Lindstrom to Petry. I honestly don’t see the issue unless you like cap space for the sake of cap space.

Edit: this really doesn’t change the picture for Edvinsson at all either. If anything, Perry’s old-ass is less likely to suit up for 82 games than Lindstrom is.

if you only take into account health sure

now we have yet another vet who coaches won't want to sit around for multiple years instead of Lindstrom who they would be far more willing to though

Ezekial

Cheap Pizza, Okay Hockey
Sponsor
Nov 22, 2015
Chicago
Chiarot, Holl, Walman, Ghost and Petry all have modified no trades.

Only Seider and Maata can be moved easily. Can't see a situation where Seider is moved.

So if something else is on the back burner, Maata appears most likely.
Not really, all the D we signed this offseason play the right side. Holl RH, Petry RH, and Ghost plays LH RD most of the time.

I think Yzerman just stocking up veteran D for the inevitable injuries that will happen to the blue line. Whoever is penciled in at 7D right now is quite a bit better than Hagg (38 games), Oesterle(52 games), or Lindstrom (36 games) who played too much last year

Henkka

Jan 31, 2004
Tampere, Finland
I would trade him straight up to Gustav Lindström.

The caphit is pretty nice currently, because Pittsburgh did retain 1.5M of it.

It's only 4.687M for 2 years. Kind of "getting an UFA" with a short-term deal.

Hmm... had to quote myself from the Petry-rumour -thread. :D

Maybe Yzerman did read the idea from there.

Ezekial

Cheap Pizza, Okay Hockey
Sponsor
Nov 22, 2015
Chicago
if you only take into account health sure

now we have yet another vet who coaches won't want to sit around for multiple years instead of Lindstrom who they would be far more willing to though
Again, they don't even play the same side dude. Get over it.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad