Confirmed with Link: Wings acquire Jeff Petry for Gustav Lindstrom and a 2025 4th round pick

redwings8831

Jan 16, 2009
I guess Yzerman just voted for Edvinsson for "most overrated"

comical roster building

May 2nd - Edvinsson shoulder surgery with a 4 to 6 month recovery

It's certainly possible that it could be closer to 6 months (or even more than that) and he misses a decent portion of the season. Plus, you're probably starting him in GR anyway coming off a long recovery.

Retire91

Stevey Y you our Guy
May 31, 2010
looks like Yzerman's earlier plan for the D got adjusted by Petry becoming available. I don't know adds some veteran presence. Does this mean Ed is going to do the whole year in GR

Ezekial

Cheap Pizza, Okay Hockey
Sponsor
Nov 22, 2015
Chicago
I feel the same way about this as I felt at the Maatta signing at the time. Don't really see the point.

But, maybe this isn't shit after all if it turns out the same.

Pavels Dog

Feb 18, 2013
Sweden
It's rather expensive to pay more than 2 mil to a 7th defenseman. Lindstrom would do this for less and you keep the pick
That money doesn't matter. Like, if Edvinsson, Wallinder and Johansson play like top 4D-men in camp are you sending them down because they're too cheap? Let the best guys play, regardless of cap hit.

Detroit Knights

Feb 29, 2012
It's rather expensive to pay more than 2 mil to a 7th defenseman. Lindstrom would do this for less and you keep the pick
but lindstrom and petry have drastically different skillsets.

I suppose if petry is the 7th d for awhile, I could see his playoff experience being valuable enough to warrant no or little playing time.

Like everyone else, I am not hating the move because it is an obvious upgrade; however, with this many D in the locker room, I would hope for one of them leaving for a pretty good haul. Maybe like maatta or something but I like maatta a lot :/

Ezekial

Cheap Pizza, Okay Hockey
Sponsor
Nov 22, 2015
Chicago

It's certainly possible that it could be closer to 6 months (or even more than that) and he misses a decent portion of the season. Plus, you're probably starting him in GR anyway coming off a long recovery.
I guess Yzerman just voted for Edvinsson for "most overrated"

comical roster building
They don't even play the same position on defense.

Reactions: Stony Curtis

norrisnick

The best...
Apr 14, 2005

I fully expect Ed to be ready for training camp.

Ed didn't have any kind of shoulder injury. He had a pre-existing condition that can develop into problems so they got together and elected to get it corrected before it becomes an issue. One would hope that time period was factored in when they decided to shut him down. Similar to Larkin the year before though his was an injury he was playing through.

DoMakc

Jun 28, 2006
That money doesn't matter. Like, if Edvinsson, Wallinder and Johansson play like top 4D-men in camp are you sending them down because they're too cheap? Let the best guys play, regardless of cap hit.

Money does matter, as there is salary cap in place. One could argue, money doesn't matter, if Petry only had contract for this year, but he is still on books for the next year. And if Red Wings plan to compete for playoffs next year, i'd rather not waste 2.34 on 7th D (or 8th D). Especially given that Seider, Raymond, Rasmussen and Berggren need new contract.

duul

Jun 21, 2010
Petry at that price becomes a great chip at the deadline if he maintains his level of play. Seems like a move based around acquiring a great deal asset rather than specifically trying to fill a hole for you guys.

OgeeOgelthorpe

Baldina
Feb 29, 2020
giphy.gif

Pavels Dog

Feb 18, 2013
Sweden
Money does matter, as there is salary cap in place. One could argue, money doesn't matter, if Petry only had contract for this year, but he is still on books for the next year. And if Red Wings plan to compete for playoffs next year, i'd rather not waste 2.34 on 7th D (or 8th D). Especially given that Seider, Raymond, Rasmussen and Berggren need new contract.
We have more than enough money. Again, at some point Edvinsson, Wallinder, Johansson, Kasper etc. are going to enter the lineup. It's almost impossible to set things up so we never have some overpaid guys in the pressbox unless we want to be right at the cap floor.

Ezekial

Cheap Pizza, Okay Hockey
Sponsor
Nov 22, 2015
Chicago
Money matters when it matters and it won't matter next offseason at all.

Reactions: Ed Ned and Leddy

Axel Sandy Pelikan

Jonatan Berggren is our Lord and Savior,
May 11, 2023
Berggren's contract is a negative concern level right now. He's either gonna bridge for a reasonable number or they extend him for a steal of a deal. Seider and Raymond's dollars are budgeted. The Wings aren't going to lose either one of them. I'd be floored if they didn't have the fancy version of a cap-friendly layout that has an 8-9M block for Seider long term and something similar for Raymond. Rasmussen needs to keep showing he is the guy he's become. He'll either show he's worth a huge deal and it changes the plans or he gets Perron money next year.

Within 10% of the cap ceiling for a team not significantly better than a team just above the floor.
The Red Wings are in a significantly better place in 2023 than they were in 2022.

RED WINGS STOMP

Nov 28, 2022
Chiarot, Holl, Walman, Ghost and Petry all have modified no trades.

Only Seider and Maata can be moved easily. Can't see a situation where Seider is moved.

So if something else is on the back burner, Maata appears most likely.

Reactions: hn777

Shaman464

No u
May 1, 2009
Boston, MA
Wah wah wah.

1) Cap is about to go boom.
2) All but like five contracts the team has don't extend out further than 2 years.

1) If there’s a recession (which very much is still a possibility) the cap could continue to be stagnant.
2) it’s a long term complaint. It’s about paying this much for a team that very likely doesn’t make the playoffs next season. The team is almost exclusively spare parts.

Berggren's contract is a negative concern level right now. He's either gonna bridge for a reasonable number or they extend him for a steal of a deal. Seider and Raymond's dollars are budgeted. The Wings aren't going to lose either one of them. I'd be floored if they didn't have the fancy version of a cap-friendly layout that has an 8-9M block for Seider long term and something similar for Raymond. Rasmussen needs to keep showing he is the guy he's become. He'll either show he's worth a huge deal and it changes the plans or he gets Perron money next year.

The Red Wings are in a significantly better place in 2023 than they were in 2022.
No they aren’t. Going into last seasons with Vrana and Bertuzzi plus the spare parts they picked up last season they were in a very similar spot. And we saw how easily it went off the rails.

Reactions: hn777

Hen Kolland

Feb 22, 2018
1) If there’s a recession (which very much is still a possibility) the cap could continue to be stagnant.
2) it’s a long term complaint. It’s about paying this much for a team that very likely doesn’t make the playoffs next season. The team is almost exclusively spare parts.

It's okay. I personally will replenish all the money that this trade cost you directly.........

Axel Sandy Pelikan

Jonatan Berggren is our Lord and Savior,
May 11, 2023
Oh I meant after this trade.
Nobody has to be. HFBoard heads will want someone moved to guarantee Edvinsson a spot, ignoring the fact that we are damn near certain to have long stretches of one or two D hurt, so Simon will be up and playing a bunch. Teams build this logjam because they know hockey is a rough game and they want to not be playing f***in garbage if a guy hurts.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad