Confirmed with Link: Wings acquire C Mitchell Stephens from TB

Status
Not open for further replies.

Debrincat93

Dec 4, 2002
Michigan
Nhl.com
Plan is to bring Raymond, Veleno, Pearson, Smith and Bergreen to the Red Wings next season. If something not going good it should be backup plan. Stephens is a the backup plan. Yzerman not going to bring solid NHL players from free agency. Plan is bring kids to NHL
last thing you want are kids coming in and not having to fight for a spot.
we need players fighting for spots.
this only helps.

Ghost of Ethan Hunt

The Official Ghost of Space Ghosts Monkey
Jun 23, 2018
Top Secret Moon Base
Nielsen - Larkin - Vrana
Fabbri - Suter - Bertuzzi
Zadina - Rasmussen - Gagner
Erne - Stephens - Namestnikov
(Smith)

Tie goes to the veteran. Berggren-Veleno-Raymond as Griffins 1st line.

I'll bet you any amount of counterfeit $ bill (with your choice of installed puppet head-shot on it) :naughty: :laugh: that Nielsen isn't in the top6.

Also the way to develop Zadina is NOT to play him w/Ras & Gags.

Reactions: I See Blue

Lil Sebastian Cossa

Opinions are share are my own personal opinions.
Jul 6, 2012
Yzerman and Holland have similarities. We get it.

Kenny moved on and is now in Edmonton. Yzerman is the GM in Detroit. Let's not rehash whether one is like the other every time a move is made. (I mean, I'm sure that Holland has some similarities to the front office people he learned from back in the day, but that wasn't any more relevant 10 years ago than this is now.)

Yzerman and Holland have similarities because good GMs have similarities. Yzerman learned the GM game from Kenny. He'd be the first to tell you that. Holland got complacent and safe and the very few risks he did take were longshot risks with no chances of success.

Gniwder

Oct 12, 2009
Bellingham, WA
Nielsen - Larkin - Vrana
Fabbri - Suter - Bertuzzi
Zadina - Rasmussen - Gagner
Erne - Stephens - Namestnikov
(Smith)

Tie goes to the veteran. Berggren-Veleno-Raymond as Griffins 1st line.
I don't think people got your sarcasm, lol. I'm worried about the "tie goes to the veteran" BS as well.

Sure, Berggren, Veleno, and Pearson are waivers exempt but the number of games played won't impact their contract or their waiver eligibility. We'd be holding the kids back for no reason, and it's important to give them a look before their waiver eligibility runs out.

I hope Stevie forces him to play the best players, regardless of age.

Hoog

Feb 4, 2021
I'm actually pretty high on this kid. Grew up in and played for a very successful team, above average or better skater, has some sand, and hopefully learned how to play pro hockey from Coleman, Gorde, and the likes on the lower lines.

If he can produce like Erne has this year, I'm more than happy. I actually think this kid might have more upside than Erne.

Lil Sebastian Cossa

Opinions are share are my own personal opinions.
Jul 6, 2012
I was talking about Tampa's Brisebois moves, which will remind a lot of Holland in the success window.

Nothing to do with current Yzerman.

That's also what good GMs do. You build a good thing, you work to maintain it. Just like you're not playing run and gun offense if you're up 3 goals with 5 minutes to go in a game. Yeah, it'll eventually bite you, but until it does, it's still your best chance to win.

Rzombo4 prez

May 17, 2012
Cheap/solid depth move. Possible Glendening replacement.

RH center that can actually win faceoffs and plays with some grit.

Pretty much. This is just a standard, straightforward depth trade that happens all of the time in professional sports. I get that people aren't interested in bottom six forwards, but they do make up over half of all forwards in the league. Anyways, it is hard for me to get worked up about it one way or another.

MBH

Players Play
Jul 20, 2019
SE Michigan
redwingsnow.com
Yzerman and Holland have similarities. We get it.

Kenny moved on and is now in Edmonton. Yzerman is the GM in Detroit. Let's not rehash whether one is like the other every time a move is made. (I mean, I'm sure that Holland has some similarities to the front office people he learned from back in the day, but that wasn't any more relevant 10 years ago than this is now.)

Why are you so interested in controlling what other people say?

Reactions: Gniwder

MBH

Players Play
Jul 20, 2019
SE Michigan
redwingsnow.com
I was talking about Tampa's Brisebois moves, which will remind a lot of Holland in the success window.

Nothing to do with current Yzerman.

Brisebois is doing what Holland was doing when Holland was smart.
Signing veterans for next to the minimum.
When you're investing so much in your stars, you need guys to play for the minimum or next to it.

Holland could have tried to go get Perry and Bogosian etc.
But Holland's still paying assets to go get end-of-career big names with big contracts.

newfy

Jul 28, 2010
You dont want Veleno playing as the fourth line center and theres no guarantee Pearson can do it at the NHL level. This gives them a bit of depth and he might have some upside as a legit bottom 6er in the future. Pearson probably doesnt love seeing this trade but I dont think it means hes automatically not seeing NHL time either

Hen Kolland

Feb 22, 2018
Starting to see Yzerman's Holland-esque appreciation of his own draft picks.

As long as the players he brings back are bottom 6 contributors for draft picks in the 4th round or later, why do we care if he has an appreciation of his own draft picks?

Henkka

Jan 31, 2004
Tampere, Finland
You dont want Veleno playing as the fourth line center and theres no guarantee Pearson can do it at the NHL level. This gives them a bit of depth and he might have some upside as a legit bottom 6er in the future. Pearson probably doesnt love seeing this trade but I dont think it means hes automatically not seeing NHL time either

Veleno got 3rd line minutes last season and played as 3rd line center.

I think the 4th line center is totally out of question. It will be Stephens.

For Veleno, it's 3rd line or AHL.
For Pearson, it's AHL and some chance via other's injuries.

Bench

3 is a good start
Aug 14, 2011
crease

I love it when someone expresses my thoughts so well and to the point that it saves me all the effort.

But yeah, exactly this. It's good to have a little competition for those remaining spots. You never know who can surprise you.

Reactions: newfy and golffuul

lilidk

Mar 4, 2008
last thing you want are kids coming in and not having to fight for a spot.
we need players fighting for spots.
this only helps.
And they will, just not against NHL players but against Very good Ahlers. Just go to Tampa board and read what they say there. Yzerman will give chance to our prospects first and if they cannot compete they will go to GR. My expectations Raymond going to be with Wings from day one

lilidk

Mar 4, 2008

There is nothing wrong to play for 4 line . If Erne could play 4 line so does Veleno.

ShelbyZ

Apr 8, 2015

If he doesn't make the NHL team, Veleno is probably at the top of the list to get recalled if they need someone to fill in at center and play more of a neutral to offensive role at ES.

Pearson probably gets the call when they need someone to play more of a defensive and PK role at center. But Pearson probably also gets an extended recall at some point so they can see what they have in him at the NHL level before he's subject to waivers starting in 22-23.

I would bet that one of them ends up finishing the year in Detroit after they probably move a couple forwards at the deadline and/or shut some injured guys down for the year down the stretch.

I think now in his 3rd offseason at the helm (no pun intended), it's become abundantly clear that Yzerman is not one to just leave spots open for young guys, and really wants them to get even a short taste of a competitive culture in the minors before they have to really earn a regular job in the NHL.

Yzerman basically owns the same "tie goes to the vet" T-shirt that guys like Holland, Blashill and Babcock have in their closet, but when he wears it, he covers it up with a stylish cardigan.

I wouldn't be surprised if in his head right now, he's got Rasmussen, Smith, Lindstrom and possibly Seider tabbed as his "young guys" definitely making the NHL team, and would prefer all the rest start in GR unless they absolutely blow him away in camp... I mean listen to him talk about Hronek in his pressers... He makes it sound like the guy is still on the bubble even after he's been a regular on the NHL team for like 2.5 season....

Look, he left his web cam on while he was looking at some fan made line ups that have Berggren on the 1st line:
6869d4cc-6195-49fa-b841-bd36bbb23277-Screen_Shot_2020-10-12_at_7.23.38_PM.png

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad