Speculation: Wingers for 2017-2018

razor ray

May 8, 2011
- Trading Eakin + ANA 1st for Eberle

- Buy out Niemi

- Protect Benn, Seguin, Spezza, Eberle, Faksa, Ritchie, Nichushkin. This means we expose Roussel. I assumed Vegas takes him.

- Protect Klingberg, Lindell and Johns. If Hamhuis isn't taken then sign one of MDZ or Brendan Smith for ~~3.5-4M? idk.

- Assume Nichushkin remains in Russia for next season.

Benn - Seguin - Eberle
Janmark - Spezza - ????
Shore - Faksa (1.5M) - Ritchie (1M)
Elie - ???? - Cracknell

Lindell (1M) - Klingberg
MDZ/Smith - Honka
Hamhuis - Johns
Pateryn

Bishop
Lehtonen

That gives us ~12M to spend on two slots assuming the cap increases from 73M to 75M. Go nuts.

I would first throw that 1st round draft pick back at Anaheim and see if you could sway them on one of their forwards. They are going to lose one in the expansion draft.

The Ducks have so much good talent its almost like taking Brad Pitts leftovers. Your going to be left with something good.

razor ray

May 8, 2011
Montreal is in a really rough position. After getting bounced in the first round management is under pressure to win now. I think they make a serious play at Kovalchuk and then have to resign Radulov and then extend Cary Price for 8mill+. Also Markov wants to stay another year. That is lots of $$$ to tie up.

It might force their hand with RFA Galchenyuk as he has also had his differences with management. Can they get a contract done? Would Montreal be crazy enough to trade AG? Would Montreal be dumb enough to trade Suban? Oh wait...never mind.

As long as Dallas does not give up the #3 pick I would jump at it. Perhaps it would take an impact vet player and a couple draft picks. I would do it even if it meant parting with the Anaheim pick and the 3rd rounder plus a vet. You would add a young solid forward to the core for years to come and he could take over Sharps salary.

One other point to consider is Montreal would not want him in the East.

Trade: Galchenuyk
UFA: Ben Smith
UFA: Ben Bishiop
#3 pick in draft

Would you be ok with that off season?

razor ray

May 8, 2011
Ben Smith seems random...I'm assuming you're referring to Brendan? Haha

Hahaha! Yeah late night post.

Thoughts on Galchenyuk as a player? Trade scenarios if you think its realistic?

Ducks pick, 3rd round pick, and a prospect?

If Montreal is going to go for it now then they are going to need to replenish their system for the future. Also Montreal is low on cap space and Dallas is in the West and has the room to sign him.

Morry83

14-90-91
Mar 16, 2013

If Montreal is going to go for it now then they are going to need to replenish their system for the future. Also Montreal is low on cap space and Dallas is in the West and has the room to sign him.

Haha I gotcha. I hope I didn't sound like a demeaning ******* or anything haha.

If Galchenyuk were available, I'd hope Nill would give Bergevin a call.

razor ray

May 8, 2011
Haha I gotcha. I hope I didn't sound like a demeaning ******* or anything haha.

If Galchenyuk were available, I'd hope Nill would give Bergevin a call.

Not at all that was actually funny when I read it.

Anaheim pick + Faksa for Galchenyuk

How is that one? Keep in mind Montreal needs cap room.

Last edited by a moderator:

Hockey Dad

Jan 27, 2016
Texas
Faksa is the only defensive center the stars have. He was a rookie taking key face offs for the Stars in the playoffs. I think people underrate how important that is. Chucky I believe has underachieved and may be a decent offensive player but not nearly as good on defensive end. I think Faksa can really flourish in Hitchcock's system.

razor ray

May 8, 2011
I think what is most realistic is the fact that Montreal has not had a #1 center in 20 years. Perhaps Spezza would be willing to move his no-trade for Montreal to make a run at a cup. Dallas then has a young core:

Spezza + 2017 2nd for Chucky

Chucky 23
Klingberg 24
Seguin 25
Benn 27
Bishop 30

Let Sharp, Hemsky, and Hudler move on.

MBTendy

May 6, 2009
EDM journalist thinks Dallas is the perfect landing spot for Eberle. I wonder what it'll take.

FirstRowUpperDeck

May 20, 2014
Arlington, TX
EBerle seems like the kind of winger Nill would bring in. Only under contract for 2 more years, okay but not great cap hit, productive offensive player for the most part.

That said, the vet wingers he has brought in have been a mixed bag - Hemsky, Sharp, etc. haven't really lived up to "scoring winger" label, save Sharps 20 goals last year. Its a lot to pay for the 15-20 goals expected from Eberle.

Depending on their injury status, I kind of like bringing back Sharp and Hemmers at about 50% of their last years salaries. Two wingers for the price of one Eberle......unless we could get some other asset for taking his cap hit off their hands.

Last edited:

Frozen Failure

They got business in my hockey, and I hate it.
Nov 13, 2007
DFW
faksa is a good high effort guy who is fairly smart defensively. Lehtinen as insanely good at sticking to guys and had ridiculous defensive iq. I dont see Faksa ending up anywhere close to what Lehtinen accomplished.

I said Faksa needs to be. Maybe I should have said he needs to be our Guy Carbonneau. Whatever. My point is he needs to be our stalwart defensive forward lynchpin.

BeaverSports

Mar 3, 2004
I said Faksa needs to be. Maybe I should have said he needs to be our Guy Carbonneau. Whatever. My point is he needs to be our stalwart defensive forward lynchpin.

Agreed, Faksa is what Dallas needs right now, a forward who plays a 200-foot game, is solid on face-offs and has size and skill. With his attributes and his age, I can't think of moving him unless the Stars get a similar sort of young player back. He's a big piece of what the team should be building right now.

FirstRowUpperDeck

May 20, 2014
Arlington, TX

Teams don't usually, nor can they, do both at the same time.

If they trade AG, it will be for someone who can help now. Stars also need help now. Don't think they are as good a trade partner as EDM and Eberle, IMHO.

Of course, Nill will probably pull off some trade that surprises everyone, with a name no one expects. Or, just go UFA.

Benneguin

Original Recipe
May 26, 2015
Eakin and something small I'm game. Otherwise I'll pass. Defense should still be the priority.

I agree. Eakin + a 1st (or a player equivalent) would be a waste of resources, IMO when you could get similar production / impact or more in FA.

BigG44

Jul 12, 2007
2 years remaining of contract is almost always going to be better than a 5 or 6 year deal in free agency, especially to a 30 year old Oshie or Radulov.

Free agency frankly sucks. That doesn't mean I do think they should do Eakin + a 1st, but you can't start stacking up 5 to 8 year contracts. Benn and Bishop already have one. Klingberg does as well. Best case scenario Seguin has one soon because if he doesn't in Dallas he will on a different team.

The cap forces you to be selective, and I cooled down on Oshie and Radulov once Bishop was signed. Justin Williams would be a great signing, but he'd supplement a guy like Eberle/Oshie/Radulov. He'll be 37 years old before the season starts. He's an upgrade over Sharp or Hemsky, but I'd essentially be fine with any one of those three as a veteran winger for the team. It would still be prudent to add a younger scoring punch though.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad