Speculation: Wingers for 2017-2018

93Crazed101

Apr 27, 2017
Greater Dallas
It's no secret the Stars have some decisions to make on the wing. With Hitchcock likely to move Seguin and Spezza back to center the Stars are lacking some top 6-9 wingers. I'm going to list a few I think may be available in no particular order.

T.J. Oshie
Yes please. Solid two way forward likely heading to free agency can fill in where Sharp left out.

Justin Williams
Ageless. A god in the playoffs. Need I say more?

Jordan Eberle
Oilers need to clear cap for 2018. Eberle seems likely to go. While he has had mediocre seasons and a terrible playoffs, he has some upside and would likely benefit from a change of scenery.

Nail Yakupov
He has made it clear he plans to be in the NHL season, yet St. Louis may not want to pay the cash. You should be able to aquire his rights for pretty cheap. He had an okay season, and I think he may still prove something of himself. Seems like a low risk endeavor that may work well.

Kovalchuk
Depending on what NJ wants, it could be a good fit on the 1st or 2nd Line.

Eaves
If he comes back for under 2 mil, he could be a good option. But he may go somewhere else for a more lucrative contract.

I think that's about it. If you think of anymore, feel free to share. I think we need two.

DumpNChange

Mar 29, 2017
Chicago, IL
If you think of anymore, feel free to share. I think we need two.

Alex Radulov - I rank him around the same as Oshie.

Gabriel Landeskog - if COL decides to dump everyone.

Radim Vrbata - 35, but still had 55 points this year.

Jordan Eberle - Change of scenery could make him reach his potential.

Matt Duchene - Same as Landy, and he is okay with switching to #2LW. (COL needs to retain.)

93Crazed101

Apr 27, 2017
Greater Dallas
[/B]

Alex Radulov - I rank him around the same as Oshie.

Gabriel Landeskog - if COL decides to dump everyone.

Radim Vrbata - 35, but still had 55 points this year.

Jordan Eberle - Change of scenery could make him reach his potential.

Matt Duchene - Same as Landy, and he is okay with switching to #2LW. (COL needs to retain.)

I think Duchene would be too pricy for me. I mentioned Eberle, but the rest are good adds.

usefulfiction

Jan 10, 2006
Prosper, TX
If you're interested in Oshie, I think you'd be better off trying to acquire Eberle... similar production and cap hit(assuming Oshie's new deal) but for only a 2 year term. Eberle also 4 years younger.

Hockey Dad

Jan 27, 2016
Texas
If they could get rid of Kari and Niemi I would be happy to sign Oshie and trade for Eberle not sure if they can do it without though

Starsdude

Jul 7, 2002
Visit site
It's no secret the Stars have some decisions to make on the wing. With Hitchcock likely to move Seguin and Spezza back to center the Stars are lacking some top 6-9 wingers. I'm going to list a few I think may be available in no particular order.

T.J. Oshie
Yes please. Solid two way forward likely heading to free agency can fill in where Sharp left out.

Justin Williams

Jordan Eberle
Oilers need to clear cap for 2018. Eberle seems likely to go. While he has had mediocre seasons and a terrible playoffs, he has some upside and would likely benefit from a change of scenery.

Nail Yakupov
He has made it clear he plans to be in the NHL season, yet St. Louis may not want to pay the cash. You should be able to aquire his rights for pretty cheap. He had an okay season, and I think he may still prove something of himself. Seems like a low risk endeavor that may work well.

Kovalchuk

Eaves
If he comes back for under 2 mil, he could be a good option. But he may go somewhere else for a more lucrative contract.

I think that's about it. If you think of anymore, feel free to share. I think we need two.

I don't think there is any chance Oshie will come here as he had "information overload" with Hitch. His words. Shattenkirk supposibly got along well with Hitch and his poor playoffs may make him a fit for longer term at less dollars than originally thought. I suspect there are a lot of vets who can move up and down the line Vrabata Versteeg Vanek and someothers likely shake free who can't be protected.

FirstRowUpperDeck

May 20, 2014
Arlington, TX
From memory, DA shipped Oshie out as part of a "locker room problem". Not sure what it was, but probably open revolt against Hitch, so I think its a low probability.

Eberle may be attractive with 2 more years, assuming we draft a few stud FW, get Gurionov, Dickensen, etc. up and what not to replace him when he retires. Of course, that was the plan with Sharp, and here we are again looking for young, talented wingers.

93Crazed101

Apr 27, 2017
Greater Dallas
From memory, DA shipped Oshie out as part of a "locker room problem". Not sure what it was, but probably open revolt against Hitch, so I think its a low probability.

Eberle may be attractive with 2 more years, assuming we draft a few stud FW, get Gurionov, Dickensen, etc. up and what not to replace him when he retires. Of course, that was the plan with Sharp, and here we are again looking for young, talented wingers.

Oshie and Hitchcock both said they had their differences but that the rumors we're overstated. Not that it's not worth keeping in mind.

I think the Sharp plan was thrown off by Nichushkin.

northstars

May 11, 2016
Saskatchewan
Unless Benn, Sequin and company embrace defensive part of game this team isn't going anywhere. Just watch the playoffs and look at the commitment needed. Not sure Seguin has that in him to be honest. He is a bit of a cream puff.

93Crazed101

Apr 27, 2017
Greater Dallas
Unless Benn, Sequin and company embrace defensive part of game this team isn't going anywhere. Just watch the playoffs and look at the commitment needed. Not sure Seguin has that in him to be honest. He is a bit of a cream puff.

Hitchcock will get that at him. He said he was "salivating" at the chance to be developed into a true center and have responsibility in the defensive zone.

Hockey Dad

Jan 27, 2016
Texas

Sequin is a better defender than Benn. He gets no credit though.

Hockey Dad

Jan 27, 2016
Texas
Wasn't Oshie traded right after the Olympic Games where he played really well. Maybe he got an ego and was causing problems. Hopefully he has matured whatever the problem was.

northstars

May 11, 2016
Saskatchewan
Hitchcock will get that at him. He said he was "salivating" at the chance to be developed into a true center and have responsibility in the defensive zone.

Sequin shouldn't need to be pushed. If the self motivation isn't there its never going to be. He is just saying what he thinks people want to hear.

Arkham32

Nov 9, 2012
I wouldn't mind getting Eberle he could be had for rather cheap because of his 6 mill cap hit which we can afford for the next two years and will end at the same time as seguin, He might do good with a change of scenery and at worst hes a 20 goal scorer.

LeafChief

Matthew Knies Enthusiast
Mar 5, 2013
Scarborough
Any interest in JVR?

Leafs would likely be willing to retain 50% of the contract.

Also the possibility Leafs would take one of Lehtonen/Niemi if the value was there.

Thoughts?

razor ray

May 8, 2011

T.J. Oshie

Justin Williams

Jordan Eberle

Nail Yakupov

Kovalchuk

Eaves

Good list. I would possible add Sam Gagner as the Blue Jackets probably cannot afford to keep him. Nick Bonino might be another.

Edmonton better start clearing space because just McDavid/Drai/Lucic might be a combined $26 mill+ cap hit for years to come. Maybe they unload RNH for a fair price.

The Ducks have a surplus of forwards and are going to take a hit if they do not unload one. Perhaps Silverberg will be on the market.

What 7 Forwards does the board thing Dallas will protect? Who do you think Vegas drafts?

Last edited:

northstars

May 11, 2016
Saskatchewan
I wouldn't mind getting Eberle he could be had for rather cheap because of his 6 mill cap hit which we can afford for the next two years and will end at the same time as seguin, He might do good with a change of scenery and at worst hes a 20 goal scorer.

No thanks to Eberle or Yakupov. Cream puffs like Seguin. Oshie or Williams much better all around players.

BigG44

Jul 12, 2007
Any interest in JVR?

Leafs would likely be willing to retain 50% of the contract.

Also the possibility Leafs would take one of Lehtonen/Niemi if the value was there.

Thoughts?

Dallas wouldn't pay to dump Niemi or Lehtonen.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad