Windsor Spitfires 2023-24 Season Thread (Part 2)

Status
Not open for further replies.

windsor7

Nov 29, 2015
Windsor really didn't show up.
Bad coaching.
Defense was not good.
Players way out of position.
Soft players. Very little reaction to anything London did. Just took it. Rolled over. London players laughing.
#12 and Davis had some jump. Rest were all passengers.

Cherrydon

Jan 4, 2019
WINDSOR
The worst part of the non call is that was a set pick play by London. Refs could have only felt the position by the knight player Leonard was already established or Cristoforo fault for looking at Gazizov and skating into a tree. I saw clear interference. Didn't help with Zhugin let Gazizov skate by uncontested with a half hearted stick swipe on his path directly to the net.

Teflon

Jan 6, 2018
Listen game was bad, team played bad. This is what happened when you dump a coach and dont replace him in a decent time frame. The newness has worn off, the guys knew Smith was terrible but your dragging your feet finding a replacement?!?! This again is on Bowler!! The kids need a HC with some cache to look to. They know these guys are also gone soon, why listen? The entire coaching staff if due to be replaced, not doing so quickly just adds to the struggle!
Get off your ASS BB and get this team settled!!!

RayzorIsDull

Nov 16, 2007
bp on hfboards
Listen game was bad, team played bad. This is what happened when you dump a coach and dont replace him in a decent time frame. The newness has worn off, the guys knew Smith was terrible but your dragging your feet finding a replacement?!?! This again is on Bowler!! The kids need a HC with some cache to look to. They know these guys are also gone soon, why listen? The entire coaching staff if due to be replaced, not doing so quickly just adds to the struggle!
Get off your ASS BB and get this team settled!!!
There's no debating it wasn't a good time. Like with most new coaches the newness tends to wear off. There are aspects that would change to an extent after the change but you can't change the players for the most part. This season is pretty much a lost cause in regards to making the playoffs. I don't want Torres to be the new coach but there's no harm in him just coaching out the string. Heck the new coach is going to have to hire his own assistant, goalie coach etc... or he should be the one to do it.

Abraham 8 goals (2 last night)
Outwater 0 goals in his 11 games
Spellacy 6 goals
Morneau 2 goals
Smith 4 goals
Castle 2 goals
Martin 1 goal
Struthers 0 goals

That group makes up half your forwards every night. The biggest thing Bowler has to do is to figure out that mess up front. We don't need to discuss the D because that will come. A lot of those forwards shouldn't be returning under any new regime next year.

You're most likely not going to find any coach with cache when the season is still going on. Bite the bullet resist the urge to hire a coach you're not sold on just wait until Apr/May/June.

Reactions: Cherrydon

punch1943

Apr 15, 2012
South Detroit
There's no debating it wasn't a good time. Like with most new coaches the newness tends to wear off. There are aspects that would change to an extent after the change but you can't change the players for the most part. This season is pretty much a lost cause in regards to making the playoffs. I don't want Torres to be the new coach but there's no harm in him just coaching out the string. Heck the new coach is going to have to hire his own assistant, goalie coach etc... or he should be the one to do it.

Abraham 8 goals (2 last night)
Outwater 0 goals in his 11 games
Spellacy 6 goals
Morneau 2 goals
Smith 4 goals
Castle 2 goals
Martin 1 goal
Struthers 0 goals

That group makes up half your forwards every night. The biggest thing Bowler has to do is to figure out that mess up front. We don't need to discuss the D because that will come. A lot of those forwards shouldn't be returning under any new regime next year.

You're most likely not going to find any coach with cache when the season is still going on. Bite the bullet resist the urge to hire a coach you're not sold on just wait until Apr/May/June.
Easier said than done. Bowler is not going to coach much longer. He has enough problems as it is just being GM.

OHLTG

Nov 18, 2008
behind lens, Ontario
Yep, first goal was a blown call by the officials, clearly interference.
The 3rd goal was reviewed. When I saw the play in real time, my initial reaction was, "easy call, no goal, gloved in, so why is Sim reacting confidently that it will be overturned upon review?" Replay showed that he gloved it but it hit his stick before crossing the line.

THATs the one I didn't see on replay. It was hard to see it live from my angle and it surprised me because both parties were adamant about their thinking.
The first goal - the refs did not call the interference on the ice and this would not be a reviewable call. So the non call stands. The only way they can review it would be if a 5 minute major was called for the check to the face. That was not called either so the goal stands.
Spits were never in this game anyway so 1 play is not going to change much.

If you call the interference penalty when it happens, there's no need for a review. Put the arm up, send the guy to the box, Spitfires go to the PP. That changes the balance of the game at that point.
The worst part of the non call is that was a set pick play by London. Refs could have only felt the position by the knight player Leonard was already established or Cristoforo fault for looking at Gazizov and skating into a tree. I saw clear interference. Didn't help with Zhugin let Gazizov skate by uncontested with a half hearted stick swipe on his path directly to the net.

Leonard, who hit Cristoforo, was along the boards when Gazizov was coming up the boards. Leonard then skates away from boards, takes a couple of strides, and runs into Cristoforo as Gazizov skates behind him. While there were a couple of Spitfires near the net who could have prevented the goal, the officials should have blown it dead as soon as it happened.

As for the coaching - they weren't the issue for last night. Mancini said they came in too arrogant because London had four players out and it cost them. This wasn't a coaching thing but a players not playing the right way thing. From all I've heard/seen/read, the players are better since the change. It's having a positive effect and the 5-4 record is showing it. Ugly games like this are going to happen; just have to bounce back.

ohloutsider

Jan 13, 2016
Rock & Hardplace
Easier said than done. Bowler is not going to coach much longer. He has enough problems as it is just being GM.
That is one of the bigger problems. Bowler knows he needs to step away from the bench quickly or he will have no one to blame if they continue to go south, especially after the deadline. He also needs to let Torres coach. Not much of an audition if you are doing the work for him .
Also agree he needs to not hire until there are more and better options at the end of the year. Yes team will suffer but there is little to no chance any coach can salvage this, this deep into the season.

Can Bowler not find 1 or 2 assistant coaches that will step in knowing it is a temp thing? Really only a 3 month thing at this point. Maybe a retired NHL player or 2 that just wants to try it for a few months?

No matter how you slice it Bowler has created himself a mess. Unfortunately the kids are the ones paying the price.

Does anyone have any idea what is up with Castle? 1st round pick that can't make the roster on the worst team in the league? Must be more to it than that? Is he nursing an undisclosed injury? I'd rather him out there than a couple other players that are playing.

windsor7

Nov 29, 2015
THATs the one I didn't see on replay. It was hard to see it live from my angle and it surprised me because both parties were adamant about their thinking.

If you call the interference penalty when it happens, there's no need for a review. Put the arm up, send the guy to the box, Spitfires go to the PP. That changes the balance of the game at that point.

Leonard, who hit Cristoforo, was along the boards when Gazizov was coming up the boards. Leonard then skates away from boards, takes a couple of strides, and runs into Cristoforo as Gazizov skates behind him. While there were a couple of Spitfires near the net who could have prevented the goal, the officials should have blown it dead as soon as it happened.

As for the coaching - they weren't the issue for last night. Mancini said they came in too arrogant because London had four players out and it cost them. This wasn't a coaching thing but a players not playing the right way thing. From all I've heard/seen/read, the players are better since the change. It's having a positive effect and the 5-4 record is showing it. Ugly games like this are going to happen; just have to bounce back.
Bad coaching.
Unorganized

Reactions: oldPeng

Teflon

Jan 6, 2018
I disagree, theres coaches out there with the right resume that would fit here. Im not willing to lose a year of progress because the GM screwed up! Yes he needs to concentrate on one job, hes not a coach and the players know it.

Reactions: oldPeng

OHLTG

Nov 18, 2008
behind lens, Ontario
I disagree, theres coaches out there with the right resume that would fit here. Im not willing to lose a year of progress because the GM screwed up! Yes he needs to concentrate on one job, hes not a coach and the players know it.

I have no issues if Bowler wants to concentrate on being a GM, but I'm content with Torres being a HC for the time being. Again, everything I know so far indicates the players are happier in this situation so why change it unless necessary? I said before that they could hire an assistant during the break, but maybe wait until the summer for a HC change, if it's warranted.

ohloutsider

Jan 13, 2016
Rock & Hardplace
Well this isn't wrong I don't really think Bowler has the time right now to do the right thing . I would rather him not rush it.

Reactions: DetSpitsFan

hockeylegend11

Sep 11, 2010

Agree with most of what you posted,must say loudest boos I heard in awhile when London got its 1st goal after an obvious missed interference call,and the boos were not at the players lol,nice bounce back after trailing by 2 early then and I agree with Mancini Spits thought game about to be theirs and things went hell in a hand basket.
Too many pedestrians in this one especially the majority of key players,Michelone 's worst game in his last 5 starts,though not blaming him for the 1st and 3rd goals against,the other 2 not so much,PK struggled 1st game in 6 allowing a PP goal against, disappointed Smith didn't respond to the hit Greentree took from Boulton, left to Woodall not a good look,bad enough not contributing offense wise all year,his inaction inexcusable, felt bad for Woodall.
OHLTG you mentioned possible interest in Chris O'Flaherty after his release from London earlier in the week,I would definitely be interested in bringing him back,sources tell he would be interested in such a thing,myself a 05 born forward with size and grit,why not a freebie, if he were an 04 probably not,bring him in dump out Castle and Smith.

windsor7

Nov 29, 2015
Agree with most of what you posted,must say loudest boos I heard in awhile when London got its 1st goal after an obvious missed interference call,and the boos were not at the players lol,nice bounce back after trailing by 2 early then and I agree with Mancini Spits thought game about to be theirs and things went hell in a hand basket.
Too many pedestrians in this one especially the majority of key players,Michelone 's worst game in his last 5 starts,though not blaming him for the 1st and 3rd goals against,the other 2 not so much,PK struggled 1st game in 6 allowing a PP goal against, disappointed Smith didn't respond to the hit Greentree took from Boulton, left to Woodall not a good look,bad enough not contributing offense wise all year,his inaction inexcusable, felt bad for Woodall.
OHLTG you mentioned possible interest in Chris O'Flaherty after his release from London earlier in the week,I would definitely be interested in bringing him back,sources tell he would be interested in such a thing,myself a 05 born forward with size and grit,why not a freebie, if he were an 04 probably not,bring him in dump out Castle and Smith.
The boo's towards Bowler was noticeable a few weeks back..

Teflon

Jan 6, 2018
If anyone thinks its ok for Torres to run this team the rest of the season your nuts. Team needs a proper HC and assts in place. You’ll be in the same place in a month or so you were in last month. This is TEMPORARY as it should be.

Reactions: punch1943

Cherrydon

Jan 4, 2019
WINDSOR
Not that simple. Mid-season, is the right fit out there available and assistants hired by a new HC or Bowler. The only people out there with experience are recently fired or resigned for other reasons non disclosed in most cases. Is the team for sale? Is it not? Salaries already paid. Lots of OHL teams looking for coaching staff this year already. Not saying Torres is the man long term. Jury is out on that but nothing other than last game really stands out as a step back so far. Patience long term to make the right hire is the biggest priority.

RayzorIsDull

Nov 16, 2007
bp on hfboards
If anyone thinks its ok for Torres to run this team the rest of the season your nuts. Team needs a proper HC and assts in place. You’ll be in the same place in a month or so you were in last month. This is TEMPORARY as it should be.
I don't think it's ok. Coaches have egos and if you want a real good coach they will want a say in all matters. Bowler needs to figure out the larger picture. Regardless of the coach they're not making the playoffs. The goal is better stability. It's not going to happen in the next 38 games. That ship had passed.

DetSpitsFan

Nov 20, 2016
O'Flaherty was released by the Knights. IMO, he would be a huge upgrade over Struthers or Castle.
Shows you how much I've been paying attention, never knew he even got shifted over to the Knights. I haven't watched him play in a year and I'd happily hand him a roster spot over Castle and a lineup spot over Colton. One of those guys that I always thought added something even when the scoresheet didn't show it. Smaller frame than Martin, but those two could create a fun to watch oh sh.. old school, 4th line. Yeah yeah yeah, hockey's changed, but when you're in the bottom of the pit, might as well do something different. Want outside the box? Play physical hockey in 2023 lol.

Our crop of 05's includes
Outwater
Eichler (import)
Martin
Costanzo

I'd burn a card on O'Flaherty. Worst case a good offer on Peer/Maillet comes around and we have to take draft picks and roll with two OA's for 3 months. Who cares. Unless I'm completely missing someone younger who should be up on the roster for a go.

How frequently do you see a kid circle back to his original team in the O' though? Handful of occasions I wanted to see it, but can't remember the last time it did.

A few of us were talking about this tonight. As long as he's brought in to do what he's good at, which is stir and play physical, I'm all for it. You're not going to get the 40-goal guy you drafted, nor should he take a top-six spot. However, he's a solid 05 who can play a very gritty, tough game. If the chance is there, take it.
I mean… if he cycles through the OHL Waiver before CHL Waivers… we should be the second team to have a chance, just behind Niagara who traded him, right?

Reactions: oldPeng and OHLTG

hockeylegend11

Sep 11, 2010
Shows you how much I've been paying attention, never knew he even got shifted over to the Knights. I haven't watched him play in a year and I'd happily hand him a roster spot over Castle and a lineup spot over Colton. One of those guys that I always thought added something even when the scoresheet didn't show it. Smaller frame than Martin, but those two could create a fun to watch oh sh.. old school, 4th line. Yeah yeah yeah, hockey's changed, but when you're in the bottom of the pit, might as well do something different. Want outside the box? Play physical hockey in 2023 lol.

Our crop of 05's includes
Outwater
Eichler (import)
Martin
Costanzo

I'd burn a card on O'Flaherty. Worst case a good offer on Peer/Maillet comes around and we have to take draft picks and roll with two OA's for 3 months. Who cares. Unless I'm completely missing someone younger who should be up on the roster for a go.

How frequently do you see a kid circle back to his original team in the O' though? Handful of occasions I wanted to see it, but can't remember the last time it did.

I mean… if he cycles through the OHL Waiver before CHL Waivers… we should be the second team to have a chance, just behind Niagara who traded him, right?
He cleared waivers,then was released ,he is free to go wherever, OHL,USHL

OHLTG

Nov 18, 2008
behind lens, Ontario
Regarding the point streak - I'm not sure DeA accomplishes that with Windsor. Sudbury is the highest scoring team in the East and fourth highest overall. He's getting golden opportunities, which is one reason he was traded; a chance at glory with a better team than Windsor. While I'd love to have him back, Walton is going to be pretty solid and the picks are huge for the future (that 2nd is basically a 1st in 2024).

Reactions: hockeylegend11
Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad