Windsor Spitfires 2023-24 Season Thread (Part 2)

Status
Not open for further replies.

Teflon

Jan 6, 2018
I have to wonder. What ownership would tolerate this debacle from their front office besides this one???
The info im getting says Smith has lost the room, Bowler is sitting on his hands while speaking out of the side of his mouth. Seemingly not knowing what to do while telling fans he likes this team. Not sure how much longer before the sales of tickets tank and they lose critical fan support that wont be easily convinced to return!
This needs serious intervention from the Savages, yet they to are seemingly checked out. As a stm im fed up! As a long time hockey guy im disgusted! Windsor is a great hockey city, but they wont support this much longer!!

OHLTG

Nov 18, 2008
behind lens, Ontario
Damn fireworks waking me up at 5 am, yes 5 am...So just making myself useful this morning.
Carry on with Part 2...

Not to tangent too much from hockey but I know there has been a lot of discussion in Windsor (at least among my circles) about the amount of fireworks this past weekend. Sunday was the Diwali holiday and a buddy and I saw a bunch of fireworks just as we were coming out of the arena. I've heard them as late as 2am.
The info im getting says Smith has lost the room, Bowler is sitting on his hands while speaking out of the side of his mouth. Seemingly not knowing what to do while telling fans he likes this team. Not sure how much longer before the sales of tickets tank and they lose critical fan support that wont be easily convinced to return!
This needs serious intervention from the Savages, yet they to are seemingly checked out. As a stm im fed up! As a long time hockey guy im disgusted! Windsor is a great hockey city, but they wont support this much longer!!

I don't know if Smith has lost the room... but... the impression I've gotten over the last few weeks is that the idea of "stick to the plan/systems" has gone from acceptable to slight obligation. The players are tired of losing which I get, especially after last season. I don't think anyone expected this, including Bowler, who now how to figure out what the next step is.

Reactions: OHL 17 and nelli27

windsor7

Nov 29, 2015
Not to tangent too much from hockey but I know there has been a lot of discussion in Windsor (at least among my circles) about the amount of fireworks this past weekend. Sunday was the Diwali holiday and a buddy and I saw a bunch of fireworks just as we were coming out of the arena. I've heard them as late as 2am.

I don't know if Smith has lost the room... but... the impression I've gotten over the last few weeks is that the idea of "stick to the plan/systems" has gone from acceptable to slight obligation. The players are tired of losing which I get, especially after last season. I don't think anyone expected this, including Bowler, who now how to figure out what the next step is.
When losing is not acceptable anymore is a good start. Thry haven't figured that out yet...

OHLTG

Nov 18, 2008
behind lens, Ontario
:banghead:

Sitting on their hand n doing nothing about it shows though..

Who's sitting on their hands and doing nothing? Bowler traded for Toms, right? That was bringing in experience. The players have said they're in intense practices, working on the things that were messed up the weekend before. Not one player or coach has said "we're happy with how things are going", so nobody there has accepted it. There's a big difference btwn "we had a good effort" and "we're fine with losing." The former is acceptable and happening... the latter isn't acceptable and hasn't happened.

Reactions: hockeylegend11

windsor7

Nov 29, 2015
Who's sitting on their hands and doing nothing? Bowler traded for Toms, right? That was bringing in experience. The players have said they're in intense practices, working on the things that were messed up the weekend before. Not one player or coach has said "we're happy with how things are going", so nobody there has accepted it. There's a big difference btwn "we had a good effort" and "we're fine with losing." The former is acceptable and happening... the latter isn't acceptable and hasn't happened.
Fantasy world..

Reactions: OHL 17

RayzorIsDull

Nov 16, 2007
bp on hfboards
I have to wonder. What ownership would tolerate this debacle from their front office besides this one???
I always said I wasn't in to fire the coach but what are the other options?? After Oct 12th-15th going 0-3 and being outscored 24-7 I would have thought Bowler would shake up the apple cart but he didn't.

This week they get outscored 19-13 and go 0-3. Maybe he will shake things up but I am not exactly expecting it.

I am not a fan of Jerrod Smith being head coach but I don't blame him. I blame the one that hired him. Smith obviously gets lumped in with this mess and rightfully so.

Ask yourself these questions.

1. How long is it going to take to get this turned around?

2. Is Smith capable of winning enough in order to be here when it gets turned around?

3. Will Greentree/Spellacy/Cristoforo be able to carry this group next year? Pretty much have to because they lack 07s, 08s will be too young and well the 04s have been extremely disappointing.

If any of these answers are 2-3 years and no then Smith shouldn't be coach. I am just concerned they will keep Smith around and chalk it up to a year of a rebuild and the fact they may only win 15-18 games is acceptable.

windsor7

Nov 29, 2015
I always said I wasn't in to fire the coach but what are the other options?? After Oct 12th-15th going 0-3 and being outscored 24-7 I would have thought Bowler would shake up the apple cart but he didn't.

This week they get outscored 19-13 and go 0-3. Maybe he will shake things up but I am not exactly expecting it.

I am not a fan of Jerrod Smith being head coach but I don't blame him. I blame the one that hired him. Smith obviously gets lumped in with this mess and rightfully so.

Ask yourself these questions.

1. How long is it going to take to get this turned around?

2. Is Smith capable of winning enough in order to be here when it gets turned around?

3. Will Greentree/Spellacy/Cristoforo be able to carry this group next year? Pretty much have to because they lack 07s, 08s will be too young and well the 04s have been extremely disappointing.

If any of these answers are 2-3 years and no then Smith shouldn't be coach. I am just concerned they will keep Smith around and chalk it up to a year of a rebuild and the fact they may only win 15-18 games is acceptable.
Smith part of the buddy club this organization has..

• Wow

OHLTG

Nov 18, 2008
behind lens, Ontario
Something from Sunday's post-game... Eichler was interviewed for the first time, using a translator. Basically, he loves it here, but finds an "extreme difference" between the OHL and Europe/Czechia, mostly the physical game. He loves that but it's an adjustment.

windsor7

Nov 29, 2015
Something from Sunday's post-game... Eichler was interviewed for the first time, using a translator. Basically, he loves it here, but finds an "extreme difference" between the OHL and Europe/Czechia, mostly the physical game. He loves that but it's an adjustment.
He in the penalty box all the time..

Reactions: LeProspector

Savard18

Feb 10, 2015
Flint, MI
Toms is -10 with zero points in 6 games. The Spits are 1-5 over that span. There’s a reason he only went for a 12th and Greyhound fans weren’t up in arms over the return.

hockeylegend11

Sep 11, 2010
And I don't think Windsor fans are upset about trading a 12th rounder for a veteran player when you consider the last 12th rounder drafted by Windsor was 2007,16 years ago,goalie Ryan Dickey and he played 8 games total.
The -10 is a bit misleading as 3 of them Windsor had an empty net in order to tie the game,1 was scored at the Soo when Michelone gave the puck away on a pass and Toms was on the other side of the net,in the game at Saginaw a 3-1 loss he was on the ice when Saginaw skater knocked over Windsor goalie and scored should have goalie interference but wasn't,and when London scored 10 the other he was -2 and that included an empty netter.
Only game I didn't like was his last game vs Saginaw when Windsor lost with 10 seconds left,though he wasn't on for the winner by Saginaw.
Overall been fine,and with 2D out will have to better like everyone else.

Last edited:

OHLTG

Nov 18, 2008
behind lens, Ontario
I don't think there's a single Windsor fan who went "we got ourselves an all-star!!" He was meant to bring some experience to a very raw defensive group and he's done that, for an inexpensive price.

Reactions: hockeylegend11

Cherrydon

Jan 4, 2019
WINDSOR
I'm not worried about Tom's being a "veteran " role on a crap team. The shocker to me is he's tied with Cristoforo at MINUS 16 followed by Morneau and Maillet. The last 3 should be embarrassed. Yes. Some say Cristoforo playing the PK is a reach. Dahh. But PP goals do not count against +/_ stats. Woodall, Eichler and Martin lead the regulars all tied at minus 2. Same goalie, same schemes. Answer the reason? Should add Eichler is plus 8 in his last 8 games. Crazy Stat for any player on this team this year

Last edited:

hockeylegend11

Sep 11, 2010
I'm not worried about Tom's being a "veteran " role on a crap team. The shocker to me is he's tied with Cristoforo at MINUS 16 followed by Morneau and Maillet. The last 3 should be embarrassed. Yes. Some say Cristoforo playing the PK is a reach. Dahh. But PP goals do not count against +/_ stats. Woodall, Eichler and Martin lead the regulars all tied at minus 2. Same goalie, same schemes. Answer the reason? Should add Eichler is plus 8 in his last 8 games. Crazy Stat for any player on this team this year
Should also add Maillet was a -11 in his 1st 8 games when Spits went 1-7,in his last 10 games he is -1,also 9 points in those 10 games compared to 3 points in his 1st 8 games so he has been better in all areas since early in the season.
Dionicio btw was -8 in his 1st 8 games,since then +5 in the last 8,plus he has14 points in the same stretch.

Cherrydon

Jan 4, 2019
WINDSOR
Should also add Maillet was a -11 in his 1st 8 games when Spits went 1-7,in his last 10 games he is -1,also 9 points in those 10 games compared to 3 points in his 1st 8 games so he has been better in all areas since early in the season.
Dionicio btw was -8 in his 1st 8 games,since then +5 in the last 8,plus he has14 points in the same stretch.
Yes. Maillet has been better , still -5 last 5 gamee. Dionicio major improvement. Doesnt change Cristoforo -8 last 5 games Morneau -7 last 5 games which bucks the trend of others who have turned it around defensively. Not saying no effort in Morneau's case, just no results for them.

hockeylegend11

Sep 11, 2010
Was mentioned that Windsor has 5 players rated in the top 50 from the OHL for the upcoming NHL draft by the respected Brock Otten.
Greentree, Christoforo, Spellacy, Woodall,Davis.
Of the 50 rated by Brock,30 are playing in the Eastern Conference and 20 are from the West where the Spits reside.
Windsor has as mentioned 5 players listed 2nd most in the league tied with Brantford,Mississauga leads with 6.
They also lead the Western Conference with their 5,all drafted by Bowler,and the most in the league 07 born and not acquired in trades such as in Brantford case with Testa from London in a trade and Mississauga with a couple players traded for,plus a couple born in 05 for Missy as well.
Listed below is the respective teams and number of players rated by Brock-Top 50
Western Conference
Windsor-5 Flint-2
London-3 Sarnia-1
Sault- 3 Owen.Sd-1
Kitch- 2 Saginaw-1
Guelph-2 Erie- -0
Eastern Conference
Missy-6 Oshawa-3
Brantford-5 Sudbury-2
Kingston-4 North Bay-1
Ottawa- 4 Niagara- -1
Barrie- 3 Peterborough-1

Should also mention his list includes Euro born players playing with their respective teams or late birth players born in 2005.
I do think if Josef Eichler continues to show improved play he could slip into the top 50 as well.
Nice drafting by Bowler as it related to the 06 class,especially considering where they were drafted in the OHL draft ie Greentree 34th-2nd round,Woodall,10th round pick.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad