Windsor Spitfires 2022-23 Season Thread (Part 5)

Status
Not open for further replies.

rve24

Oct 26, 2022
I really like Windsor's deadline. I thought Windsor was the best fit for Wright all along, and I think Bowler made some other excellent moves at the deadline. Windsor is my favourite to win the OHL this year. Looking forward to following along from afar (real far).
Agreed.

Reactions: Section 103

OttersFan

Jan 6, 2018
Camera guy needs to find a new job. They tried to show Greentree’s goal and all we saw was the face off dot. Awful since in real time it looked like a sick goal.

rve24

Oct 26, 2022
Any know the Spits record vs. Erie last season or last 10 games?

rve24

Oct 26, 2022
To be fair to Costanzo, two goals were not on him. He's playing well when called upon.

It was 3-3-2-2 or something last I looked. Will check later.

Ya sounds like even for a team that's finished very low in the standings the last 2 years they give the Spits fits if that's accurate.
Every team has that "tough to beat" squad regardless of talent level.or standings.

Cherrydon

Jan 4, 2019
WINDSOR
Sloppy start with a great finish. Nice to see them add to the lead and still shut them down in the 3rd. Costanzo solid, left hung out to dry on Erie's 2nd and 3rd. Is Joduin at that suspension level for fights? Not sure but was that his 4th this season?

Reactions: DetSpitsFan

DetSpitsFan

Nov 20, 2016
Sloppy start with a great finish. Nice to see them add to the lead and still shut them down in the 3rd. Costanzo solid, left hung out to dry on Erie's 2nd and 3rd. Is Joduin at that suspension level for fights? Not sure but was that his 4th this season?
Yeah that was Jodoin’s 4th. Surprised he did it vs a 10th seed, given the situation and it looked like nothing big led into it.

I thought it was a 1 game suspension but was corrected it’s two when he logged his 3rd fight last week.

Once Abrahams healthy, I say let him drop the mits. He’s the 13th and the 7th guy, and someone is going to have to sit when the rosters healthy. Might as well get some swings in first.

Wonder if this means McLlwan or Martin get to go on a trip this weekend.

spits

Jul 24, 2013
Solid win after a sluggish opening period. Maggio is something else, gives 100% every shift, and is racking up the points. He's only 4 points out of the OHL points lead and he's played three fewer games. Harrison and Wright weren't necessarily clicking tonight but it was Maillet with the big night. Team has so much depth, there is always someone stepping up with a big night.

Dionicio now has 10 points in his last 5 games. Wright 5 goals in 4 games.

It was only Erie, need to be ready for a strong Barrie team on Saturday that I consider a prime contender to win the Eastern Conference. Also, the Spitfires have now had 5600 or more fans in attendance in 5 of their last 6 home games. That's a sell-out in every OHL arena other than London and Kitchener.

Last edited:

OHLTG

Nov 18, 2008
behind lens, Ontario
A few thoughts on this...

- It was Goalie Appreciation Night so pretty cool for them to have Costanzo and Downey take the ceremonial puck drop.
- The Otters are a club that'll drive you bonkers with their tenacity. They're not going to win every game, by any stretch, but they'll make you earn every inch of ice.
- Not a GREAT start for the Spitfires, down 2-1, but that's going to happen on occasion.
- Costanzo looked to have a rough start but the D was struggling at times. One guy wide open glove side and a Wright turnover... neither helps. That said, he made some monster saves and was a reason they stayed in it at times.
- I expected Downey to have a better game. His D didn't help much, either.
- Dionicio with the Harrison "between the legs" goal in the crease. Beauty.
- The Wright goal was odd - Maggio and Downey were going for the puck by the side of the net. Looked like Downey shot the puck off of the post, which then bounced right to Wright in the slot. Open cage. I don't THINK Maggio touched the puck but a good play, regardless.
- That was Jodoin's fourth fight of the season. Morton was given 5/GM for helmet removal but I think Jodoin gets a two-gamer, too.
- Savard mixed the lines up a bit, putting Maggio on the second line and Christo with Harrison/Wright at one point. If it works, it works. Eight different players had points.
- Now, they hit the road for five straight. Good time for the new guys to bond.

hockeylegend11

Sep 11, 2010
Agree sloppy start strong last 2 periods,
Spits now 15-3 in their last 18 games,6-1 since the trades,currently on a 5 game winning streak ,4-0 since Shayne Wright and the trade deadline ended,and as mentioned the 10th straight win for Goalie Joey Costanzo who is 6-0 on the road and 4-0 at home during this stretch, average under 2.60 during this time including 2 replacement during game stints,over 920 save percentage as well.
He now is 5th in league goaltending average and 2nd in save percentage.
Mathew Maggio who had 1G2A last night is 3rd in league scoring for points 1st in goals ,Shayne Wright now has 7 points in 4 games since arriving, including 5 goals,Brett Harrison who was pointless less night has 10 points in 7 games,5G,5A,dman Rodwin Dionicio continues to amaze, another highlight goal,his 2nd as a Spit now has 10 points in 6 games,Jacob Holmes the other new guy on the backend continues his fine play adding an assist and his strong overall performance has not gone unnoticed, now has 4 assists in 7 games here so far.
It was nice to see as well the play of Jacob Maillet,who scored 2 and added an assist last night,one those sneaky good players that rarely makes a mistake, now has 39 points in 39 games played this year including 14 goals,and what else can you say about rookie winger Liam Greentree, who added 1G,1A last night giving him 21 points in his last last 19 games,including 11 goals,10 assists,the 16 year old now has claimed to 8th place in rookie scoring tied in points with Parekh from Saginaw and his teammate here Anthony Christoforo with 24,14G,10A.
All in all great stretch so far and 5 games over the next 2 weeks on the road, Saturday at Barrie and Sunday at Oshawa, then next 3 games up North in NBay,Sudbury and the Soo.
Next little while will be good for team bonding as the new guys continue to adjust to their new team and surrounding s.
Spits are 16-3-2-1 at home and 11-6-1-0 on the road so far this season.

Last edited:

ohloutsider

Jan 13, 2016
Rock & Hardplace
The player I thought had a strong game last night was Castle. Starting to adjust and fit in. Seemed to play with more energy than his first few games. If he wants ice time he needs to come every game like last night. Smith also with a strong game, saved a goal last night in the 3rd. I did a double take when I saw it, Smith back checking and being a factor. Fans don't always notice that stuff but coaches do. Castle and Smith buying in and been a force out there is a bonus going forward.

Go Spits Go!!!

Cherrydon

Jan 4, 2019
WINDSOR
The player I thought had a strong game last night was Castle. Starting to adjust and fit in. Seemed to play with more energy than his first few games. If he wants ice time he needs to come every game like last night. Smith also with a strong game, saved a goal last night in the 3rd. I did a double take when I saw it, Smith back checking and being a factor. Fans don't always notice that stuff but coaches do. Castle and Smith buying in and been a force out there is a bonus going forward.

Go Spits Go!!!
Yes. Castle very noticeable last night almost cashed in and had several good looks. Appears to be on the verge of breaking out of his scoring drought.

tomschman

Oct 29, 2015
I don't think the Spits were necesarilly sloppy, instead the Otters were playing to their extreme. Spits have a target on them since acquiring Wright. Everyone wants to knock them off. Last night Erie played even for half the game until the Spits wore them down.

windsor7

Nov 29, 2015
Windsor took care of the pesky Erie.
Sloppy first half of the game.
Windsor got the benefit of a couple lucky bounces to pull ahead.
offense has kept rolling
joey as not completely on his game but did enough to get the win
defense weakness is sheltered by the the goal scoring of the offense.
good to beat a bottom feeder of the league.

Teflon

Jan 6, 2018
Tempted to start a pool question lol. How many games of the remaining reg season do the Spits score under 5??? Big weekend to team build!
D is still a bit of a struggle but its better. Id like to see this team try to play some lockdown D just to see if they can. Could be helpful down the road to employ some alternative structures.

OHLTG

Nov 18, 2008
behind lens, Ontario
Abraham and Onuska are both making the trip but not playing. They'll return "within the coming weeks", per Windsor Star.

Also... Jodoin given 2 games for his fourth fight of the season.

Cherrydon

Jan 4, 2019
WINDSOR
The defense does some strange things like both D deep in the same corner of their zone with players open out front. Happened last night led to a goal by Erie. There has been some shifts in the D. DeAngelis started the year plus 12 the first 10 games and has struggled recently to -5 last 10 games. Cristoforo also -5 last 10. Renwick has tightened it up and is +6 last 10 and Sobolev is +3 last 10 games. Holmes leads the D plus 9 in 7 games with the Spits. Spellacy trending up fast. Last 10 games he had only 1 game he was a minus. Big improvement from the start of the year. He will be a gem with that speed. Can't wait.

punch1943

Apr 15, 2012
South Detroit
Tempted to start a pool question lol. How many games of the remaining reg season do the Spits score under 5??? Big weekend to team build!
D is still a bit of a struggle but its better. Id like to see this team try to play some lockdown D just to see if they can. Could be helpful down the road to employ some alternative structures.
This weekend on the road might be a good time to try the tight D alternative.Also Sunday might be a good spot to give Costanzo a seat on the bench, he can’t play every game. Predictions anyone? Do we come back to earth?

hockeylegend11

Sep 11, 2010
This weekend on the road might be a good time to try the tight D alternative.Also Sunday might be a good spot to give Costanzo a seat on the bench, he can’t play every game. Predictions anyone? Do we come back to earth?
While I think Windsor will be a little more mindful defensively this weekend,I say keep playing they have been especially since the trade deadline,team has only allowed 6 goals 5 on 5 in the last 3 games,2 on the road.
I agree Costanzo goes Saturday, and definitely consider starting Michelone on Sunday at Oshawa,with Onuska out,important to see what Michelone can, do ,he has practiced with the team now for more then a week,has OHL experience I say why not.
Spits have scored 6 or more goals 13 times so far this season after the 1st 40 games, bottom line play to your strengths not weaknesses, think Windsor will be fine.

Cherrydon

Jan 4, 2019
WINDSOR
Is Onuska injured like he may have tweaked the same nagging injury from last season? Originally a late scratch a couple of weeks back due to "illness" the longer this goes the more questions it raises. Re Medina last year. Just curious to the real status. I was watching the game last night remembering when Costanzo was acquired Bowler said they could be our tandem in the future before Downey was traded. Hell, I'd settle for that right now lol

hockeylegend11

Sep 11, 2010
Is Onuska injured like he may have tweaked the same nagging injury from last season? Originally a late scratch a couple of weeks back due to "illness" the longer this goes the more questions it raises. Re Medina last year. Just curious to the real status. I was watching the game last night remembering when Costanzo was acquired Bowler said they could be our tandem in the future before Downey was traded. Hell, I'd settle for that right now lol
Actually from what have been told by more then one source,it is a different injury that is keeping Onuska out of the lineup, could see another couple of weeks before he returns.
Downey has played very well for Erie for the most part, unfortunately he struggled in camp,exhibition season,and in La Salle at the start of the year,so the Spits moved on from him and stayed with Onuska.

Reactions: Cherrydon
Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad