Windsor Spitfires 2022-23 Season Thread (Part 3)

Status
Not open for further replies.

hockeylegend11

Sep 11, 2010
O'Flaherty, McLlwain, Johnston, Hebek, Jodoin, Morneau all expendable with little impact. Not that they would draw big returns but moving forward next year these are all bodies that should be upgraded. Nothing personal just hockey is also a business. The OA spots open next year will bring back some assets when that is sorted out.
I am guessing O'Flaherty and Morneau will be here next year,the rest all gone with 1 or 2 moved at this year's deadline thinking Hebek and Johnston, McLlwain will go back to Jr B as well.

hockeylegend11

Sep 11, 2010
Just comparing Kitchener's trade today for Zilkin and Windsor's trade for Harrison. Kitchener gave up more picks for Zilkin anD a player than what Windsor did for Harrison. Harrison for me is the better player of the 2 so Bowler did alright with this trade.
I would agree with your views re Harrison and Zhilkin really looking forward to getting him,Holmes and injured forward Ryan Abraham in the lineup. Harrison has been playing very well lately 19 points in his last 12 games,7G,12A,for the season has 12 PP points,4G,8A also a +5 in those games,Holmes has been playing well too lately, 7 points in last 9 games, +5 in the process,has 9 points on the PP for the year,1G,8A,and Abraham has missed the last 12 games,Spits are 9-3 in the process,9-2 in their last 11,Abraham had 25 points in the last 17 games he played prior to his injury.
These 3 will certainly help on the PP,which is currently 7th OA though 1st on the road 10th at home,Holmes who was Captain in Sudbury should provide leadership for Windsor, while Harrison who didn't wear a letter will be looked upon to provide leadership .
At even strength team will be better with the 2 newbies plus Abraham team may score even more then what has occurred already tied with NB with most goals in league 149,though Windsor has 2 games in hand.

FiveHoleo

Jul 31, 2021
I am fine with keeping Onuksa, after all he led the squad to game 7 of the OHL finals. I believe Costanzo will be the number one though, dude has the ability to steal games. If you watched the game in Owen Sound, he won that game for them.
I agree with this. Onuska has shown that he's a clutch goaltender capable of rising to the occasion once the playoffs start, and even if he doesn't we still have Costanzo. It's not like there's lots of quality goaltending in this league, goalies with a track record of success in big pressure playoff games are few and far between. We're fortunate to have one in my opinion, regardless of his struggles at times in the first half of the regular season.

I love the trades we made today, and I could care less about the cost in picks. Good job Bill, can't wait to see the new guys in action.

tomschman

Oct 29, 2015
I think there is more to come. Acquiring Holmes makes sense. I don't see Ride moving unless there is another D coming back. Ride has a big upside, and he is 6 on the depth. Thedrop from Ride to Hebek is huge. I like Jodoin as a fill in because of his versatility.

I was a bit surprised by the acquisition of Harrison. While Harrison should improve our offense, it makes me think that a F will be moving. I keep coming back to O'Flaherty, who is young and improving.

Last year, the only deal that wowed anyone was Perrot. However, Christopolous, Mallet and Onuska all were very big surprises. BB also traded McDonald to acquire more picks.

I have no idea what will happen, but I think something else will happen. Hopefully, at the end of the season, BB deals will look as good as last years.

windsor7

Nov 29, 2015
I think there is more to come. Acquiring Holmes makes sense. I don't see Ride moving unless there is another D coming back. Ride has a big upside, and he is 6 on the depth. Thedrop from Ride to Hebek is huge. I like Jodoin as a fill in because of his versatility.

I was a bit surprised by the acquisition of Harrison. While Harrison should improve our offense, it makes me think that a F will be moving. I keep coming back to O'Flaherty, who is young and improving.

Last year, the only deal that wowed anyone was Perrot. However, Christopolous, Mallet and Onuska all were very big surprises. BB also traded McDonald to acquire more picks.

I have no idea what will happen, but I think something else will happen. Hopefully, at the end of the season, BB deals will look as good as last years.
maybe #19 or #48 getting moved?

OHLTG

Nov 18, 2008
behind lens, Ontario
maybe #19 or #48 getting moved?

Moving 19 right now would mean you either... a) bring in a very talented 05, which feels lateral... or you bring in an 03 or 04, which is going to require more picks going out. They have Harrison now so it's not really needed.

Moving 48 doesn't make sense given he's likely an OA next season OR dealt for a ton of picks over the summer to recover what you just lost.

hockeylegend11

Sep 11, 2010
Harrison will have fun playing with these guys.
I would put Harrison with Maggio and Greentree
Keep Peer with Smith and Christopoulis
And put Maillet with Miedema and O'Flaherty, unless Abraham is ready,then
O'Flaherty goes with Morneau and Spellacy.
Meant to add if Abraham isn't ready I would put Jodoin up with Morneau and Spellacy on the 4th line.

Reactions: punch1943

Teflon

Jan 6, 2018
good trades today, shows they want to be competitive for sure. BUT, theres still a glaring need, a physical D man!! Thats the move id like to see. Yes theres some bodies to move, certainly now. Lets see how it plays out til the deadline. Imho you dont go this far without getting the final piece needed. Yea some have said no way to a second D but how can you not get that slot clearing guy this team desperately needs?

Travis Bickle 77

Feb 11, 2020
I gotta say I love today's trades! These are the exact kinda player's I felt would be on Bowlers radar!! Some on here might feel that the Spits should pick up a clear the crease type of defenseman....but I feel that Bronson Ride can be that guy now!! With the proper coaching in practice and in the video room...Ride can evolve into that type of defenseman!! Ride is 6"6 and is still filling out, he can be worked into being that type of defenseman. As long as he can keep his cool...I can see him evolving. Harrison has a great shot and a quick release....he plays heads up hockey and has a great hockey IQ, he can benefit any line he is put on. The big question I have is....is Abraham close to returning to the lineup? Also I think it's time for Costanzo to be given the #1 spot!! Forget about this OA unwritten rule about ice time.....it's January now...the writing is on the wall. Onuska is not the goalie that wins weekend series. He is averaging 4 goals a game and let's be honest...2 of the 4 goals a game he let's in are softies. This Spitfires team offensively can put the puck in the net.... after hearing Harrison was picked up today...I can't help but smile!! Harrison is now on a team that can open his game up. But... like I have said all season....it's time for the defense to start clicking! On ice communication on defense is blatantly missing.

Travis Bickle 77

Feb 11, 2020
Yes I'm big on Costanzo but what happens if he goes down?
That's something that we can only hope does not happen. Any time you have a defenseman that is under sized (At the moment) it is always a genuine fear. When Nathan Staios was with the Spits...I was always a bit more worried for him than compared to the other defenseman we had. Staios had great skating ability much like Christoforo.....a good hockey IQ. Fingers crossed every game I guess 🤣

Reactions: hockeylegend11

hockeylegend11

Sep 11, 2010
I believe the Spits want to improve on Hebek.

Grushnikov, Mintyukov, and Guryev are options I could see them being interested in.
I agree I see the Spits moving on from Thomas Hebek,the Czechia import dman and while I like all 3 on the list you provided, though keep in mind Guryev despite being from Russia is not an import as he was drafted in the regular draft in 2019 by Peterborough.
With Flint getting him in the Othmann deal I don't see them trading him.
We blew our draft load getting Holmes and Harrison yesterday, and we know Saginaw will want picks as a huge part of the deal for Mintyukov and it appears to reports Grushnikov does not want to be dealt,so there's that,he is signed professionally probably wants to start his pro career asap and Hamilton appears to be an early exit from the playoffs if they make them.
Like I said dont think u are wrong about Hebek,just dont think Windsor will deal for any of the 3 you listed.

dirty12

Mar 6, 2015
Just comparing Kitchener's trade today for Zilkin and Windsor's trade for Harrison. Kitchener gave up more picks for Zilkin anD a player than what Windsor did for Harrison. Harrison for me is the better player of the 2 so Bowler did alright with this trade.
There is a good chance Zhilkin plays an OA season being a late birth and drafted a year after Harrison. That might have a bit to do with the cost.

Kingpin794

Smart A** In A Jersey
Apr 25, 2012
209 at the Van
I agree I see the Spits moving on from Thomas Hebek,the Czechia import dman and while I like all 3 on the list you provided, though keep in mind Guryev despite being from Russia is not an import as he was drafted in the regular draft in 2019 by Peterborough.
We blew our draft load getting Holmes and Harrison yesterday, and we know Saginaw will want picks as a huge part of the deal for Mintyukov and it appears to reports Grushnikov does not want to be dealt,so there's that,he is signed professionally probably wants to start his pro career asap and Hamilton appears to be an early exit from the playoffs if they make them.
Like I said dont think u are wrong about Hebek,just dont think Windsor will deal for any of the 3 you listed.
You could do something like Ride, 26 2nd, 24 4th for Mintyukov. Then in offseason we send say picks and McNamara or Gervais for Abraham. So it would wash out to Mintyukov, 05 F for Ride and Abraham. Technically illegal but done from time to time any way.

Reactions: LDN

hockeylegend11

Sep 11, 2010
There is a good chance Zhilkin plays an OA season being a late birth and drafted a year after Harrison. That might have a bit to do with the cost.
While it's possible Zhilkin did sign his entry deal with his NHL team a week ago,which lessens the chance of an OA year.

Knownothing

Nov 1, 2022
What about the ERIE import D? Kulakov?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad