Windsor Spitfires 2021-22 Season Thread (Part 9)

Status
Not open for further replies.

Savard18

Feb 10, 2015
Flint, MI
Refs are beginning to take note of the embellishing from the Flint side. They’re putting themselves in positions to make hits look worse than they are, and in my opinion, some calls have been let go because of how frequently flint makes tries to make everything look bad, which takes away penalties that are truly dangerous.

Reffing seemed rather fair. Flint chanting “Ref you suck” seems like a pretty interesting strategy, especially with how it was called (and wasn’t called) last night. If I’m officiating, it’s not going to do you any favors.

If anyone from CHL TV is reading, can we build in a “hide score” feature so I can watch past games without seeing the outcome starting the game? Unfortunately 6 months old plans are getting in the way of watching game 4 live.

Not directly Windsor related, but does anyone think Ladd/McDonald and the Battalion get one W against the Bulldogs tomorrow?
Yes on the hide score feature. Not sure on the “Ref, you suck” thing but I guess that’s something they’re gonna be doing now. Has Flint been doing some embellishing? Yup. Does that seem to often work in the soft-azz OHL? Yup. Do I like it? Nope. Was the best flopping and acting of game 3 awarded to Flint? Nope, the Oscar goes to Matthew Maggio for his work behind the net to draw the D’Amato call. He was smiling and laughing as soon as he got up and I can’t really say I blame him for either. If they’re gonna call games the way they do snd eliminate hitting and fighting, you’re gonna see a ton more of that crap.

TcNorth

Jan 25, 2015
Good or bad, “Ref you suck“ has been a Flint chant for decades. Looking forward to a close game tomorrow night. Windsor does not want to go back home down 1-3. As one of the smallest arena’s in the OHL, lower roof, and a standing room only crowd of over 4,000 and close corridors, the sound will be really intense tomorrow night. May the best team tomorrow night win.

windsor7

Nov 29, 2015
Good or bad, “Ref you suck“ has been a Flint chant for decades. Looking forward to a close game tomorrow night. Windsor does not want to go back home down 1-3. As one of the smallest arena’s in the OHL, lower roof, and a standing room only crowd of over 4,000 and close corridors, the sound will be really intense tomorrow night. May the best team tomorrow night win.
Flint. Decades?

• Haha
Reactions: oldPeng

TcNorth

Jan 25, 2015
Flint. Decades?
We had IHL pro teams dating back to 1969 when the Dort Center first opened as the I.M.A. Sports arena with rivals for 25-30 plus years of Fort Wayne, Toledo, Port Huron, Muskegon, Kalamazoo, etc. We have had pro and junior hockey played nearly continuously at the same site for more than 50 years except for I think 1 year.

Reactions: windsor7

Teflon

Jan 6, 2018
Need you to clarify Ares?!?! Are you saying im being one sided in my conversations here? I certainly hope not! Im pretty clear with my comments and they are ALWAYS based on impartial opinion.

Teflon

Jan 6, 2018
Semi pro hockey is not junior hockey by any stretch. Yes youve had many teams over time. This is junior a hockey conversation and so we dont muddy the water it would be good to refer to junior hockey here not other levels. Jmho.

OHLTG

Nov 18, 2008
behind lens, Ontario
Semi pro hockey is not junior hockey by any stretch. Yes youve had many teams over time. This is junior a hockey conversation and so we dont muddy the water it would be good to refer to junior hockey here not other levels. Jmho.

I think it's a fair topic given it's more educational than anything. The question was regarding the "Ref, You Suck" chants and the Firebirds fans are just pointing out how it's a fairly normal thing there over the last handful of decades.

aresknights

Dec 27, 2009
london
I have believed that possession is needed as frequently pucks will deflect off the defenders sticks or they’ll chip at it, but never have possession and the whistle won’t be blown until they do.

I don’t think all 16 year olds aren’t ready for the playoffs, I don’t think Meidema is ready for PP minutes in the playoffs, and is 4th line at best for the playoffs.

Abraham has done much more than skate in circles and I’m never worried when he touches the puck he’s going to softly give it up the other way.

Meidema scares me every time he’s out there he’s had so many giveaways, blind passes and miscues. He’ll eventually be great, this isn’t me hating on him personally, or forever. He just isn’t doing what’s needed of him to justify the minutes he’s getting. Is it partially because Windsor is so deep? Yes. Is it partially because he’s still growing into his body and figuring out how to perform at this level? Yes. Will he figure it out? Likely. Will he figure it out this month? Likely Not.

Is it because of politics? Not sure, I’m not in the room. Abraham is a “rookie” but is a year older due to the Covid Season.

If anyone was asked which one they want out there right now, I feel the choice is clear.

Abraham plays closer to Meidemas size where Meidemas playing like he’s Abrahams size.

I like Meidemas upside, but if he keeps getting knocked around out there, he won’t be a popular player in Windsor and we’ll probably get a return for him that seems fair, then he’ll have a change of scenery and go off. At 6’5” you wouldn’t think he’d be getting pushed around. May be he’s afraid to hit because of how likely he’s to be called at his size.

I am confident a couple posters on here know why this is happening.

Last edited:

aresknights

Dec 27, 2009
london
Delete. Misread

Last edited:
Reactions: Teflon

aresknights

Dec 27, 2009
london
Need you to clarify Ares?!?! Are you saying im being one sided in my conversations here? I certainly hope not! Im pretty clear with my comments and they are ALWAYS based on impartial opinion.
Nope, the opposite Tef. Gave you n others credit for seeing both sides. If it wasn't clear sorry or re read.
"Teflon, CFaub, DetspitsFan n others do that, look at all factors .....adds to the credibility of the discussion when ya look at all factors. Internal first and external after. That's what the pros n hockey people do"

I shoulda added the word THEY before "look at all factors" I guess
Better? Pulled right from my post

Last edited:

TcNorth

Jan 25, 2015
You have a narrow opinion of hockey experience. Our experience is much different than yours. I am not going to forget our other 45 years of pro and junior hockey as you suggest (one as a #1 affiliate of the NY Rangers and other years developing players from the Chicago Black Hawks and Montreal Canadians. Without that experience we would not be in the OHL today. The implacation was Flint only has had 5-6 years of hockey and that is not correct. Same with Saginaw and Erie. Decades is correct including the past several in the OHL and we love the OHL.

Last edited:

OHL4Life

Sep 6, 2017
I have believed that possession is needed as frequently pucks will deflect off the defenders sticks or they’ll chip at it, but never have possession and the whistle won’t be blown until they do.

I don’t think all 16 year olds aren’t ready for the playoffs, I don’t think Meidema is ready for PP minutes in the playoffs, and is 4th line at best for the playoffs.

Abraham has done much more than skate in circles and I’m never worried when he touches the puck he’s going to softly give it up the other way.

Meidema scares me every time he’s out there he’s had so many giveaways, blind passes and miscues. He’ll eventually be great, this isn’t me hating on him personally, or forever. He just isn’t doing what’s needed of him to justify the minutes he’s getting. Is it partially because Windsor is so deep? Yes. Is it partially because he’s still growing into his body and figuring out how to perform at this level? Yes. Will he figure it out? Likely. Will he figure it out this month? Likely Not.

Is it because of politics? Not sure, I’m not in the room. Abraham is a “rookie” but is a year older due to the Covid Season.

If anyone was asked which one they want out there right now, I feel the choice is clear.

Abraham plays closer to Meidemas size where Meidemas playing like he’s Abrahams size.

I like Meidemas upside, but if he keeps getting knocked around out there, he won’t be a popular player in Windsor and we’ll probably get a return for him that seems fair, then he’ll have a change of scenery and go off. At 6’5” you wouldn’t think he’d be getting pushed around. May be he’s afraid to hit because of how likely he’s to be called at his size.
Regarding Miedema - all kinds of talent/size/intelligence. I think the one thing he's lacking, which takes time, is getting used to the pace. Once he's involved in the play, he's fine, but it's that initial few seconds before hand that tends to be an issue. That can be worked on this summer, no doubt.

knock on him always was physicality, not sure it changes, thats usually who you are.

aresknights

Dec 27, 2009
london
Windsor has seemingly responded well to Ls in playoffs.
Should be an exciting atmosphere the for the players on both teams.
I expect Flint sees alot of Spits first line. If I'm Savard I run em out early n often to start to try and force Flint into matchups and playing on their heels. Then adjust from there.
Flint can't get caught up running around trying to please the crowd looking for big hits. Take em as they come. Can't give em PPs or get outta position. I think Windsor has more leeway on the other side of that coin. JMO. They have trouble already in D zone positioning and have gotten passed it all year.
Hopefully lots of hard to play against, physical, clean hockey.
Going to try and tune in.
No predictions on the outcome, just hope it's a close battle n both tenders play well.
Big game but regardless of outcome series isn't over after tonight.
No softies n no ref issues would be great.

OHLTG

Nov 18, 2008
behind lens, Ontario
Four Spitfires up for OHL All-Star team - Cuylle, Johnston, Maggio, and Perrott, along with Savard. No complaints here.

As for Abraham - he's a C and 10-of-top-15 rookie scorers were C.

Teflon

Jan 6, 2018
You have a narrow opinion of hockey experience. Our experience is much different than yours. I am not going to forget our other 45 years of pro and junior hockey as you suggest (one as a #1 affiliate of the NY Rangers and other years developing players from the Chicago Black Hawks and Montreal Canadians. Without that experience we would not be in the OHL today. The implacation was Flint only has had 5-6 years of hockey and that is not correct. Same with Saginaw and Erie. Decades is correct including the past several in the OHL and we love the OHL.
Where did i say to forget the other hockey? A narrow opinion, from one comment of mine you read?!?! Id love to understand how you jump to those conclusions! Comparisons work if your comparing apples to apples. Was a frequent visitor when there were US teams in the old major A league the spits played in. Im well aware of michigans hockey status. But that ages me doesnt it!
I figured Ares no worries.
I say the winner tonight wins the series. Bold? yes but thats my gut talking. Once again, play 60 minutes, tighten up D zone coverage and for god sakes stop thinking you can go thru the motions and win!!

Reactions: Section 103

TcNorth

Jan 25, 2015
Where did i say to forget the other hockey? A narrow opinion, from one comment of mine you read?!?! Id love to understand how you jump to those conclusions! Comparisons work if your comparing apples to apples. Was a frequent visitor when there were US teams in the old major A league the spits played in. Im well aware of michigans hockey status. But that ages me doesnt it!
I figured Ares no worries.
I say the winner tonight wins the series. Bold? yes but thats my gut talking. Once again, play 60 minutes, tighten up D zone coverage and for god sakes stop thinking you can go thru the motions and win!!
Okay. You said to refer to junior hockey here. After pro minor league hockey we had “5” years in the NAHL (Junior Hockey) and this is our 6th year in the OHL. Just over a decade of Junior Hockey in Flint. :)

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad