Windsor Spitfires 2021-22 Season Thread, Part 7

Status
Not open for further replies.

Section 103

May 25, 2016
I admit, I was quite happy to see Zito step up and knock Logan Mailloux down a peg or two. He was chirping and instigating all game until they dropped the gloves. He never came back out from the room for the remainder of the period!

Windsor got lucky tonight, as it seemed for most of the game it was all they could do to contain London, Then the knights decided to play some goon style hockey. This in turn just seemed to fire Windsor up, and they were able to take advantage of the few opportunities they had.

This moves the ahead of the Hounds with games still in hand. Overall, 5 of 6 possible points, not a bad weekend.

Teflon

Jan 6, 2018
Good win and very good weekend! Stepped up and showed London 2 can play that game. Looks good on Hunter, he was not happy today lol. Time to move forward and try and ignore the noise.
Sure hope we get some closure on the goalie issues. I’m sure it’s gotta be coming. This might just units this team. I truly hope so.

OHLTG

Nov 18, 2008
behind lens, Ontario
You need wins like this; character, all-around game. Everyone showed up, did their part, and, aside from a bit of a scare in the middle, it was a helluva game.

I don't expect Medina back anytime soon, either. If he is, I'll be floored.

hockeylegend11

Sep 11, 2010
Nice character win over rested London squad. Spits with the 6-4 win finish the season series with London 3-3-1-1,going 3-1-1 in their last 5 meetings against the Knights. Spits also have scored 13 games in the last 3 games Brochu.
Medina was 2-2-0-1 vs London,Tovell 0-1 and Onuska went 1-0-1-0
Sources tell me Mailloux suffered va separated left shoulder in the fight and beatdown with Zito.
Apparently he is a lefty,separated his shoulder when throwing the 1st punch.
Knights certainly were chippy and dirty this afternoon getting 2 major penalties and tossed out were Montgomery and Baber the guilty parties.
Numerous scrums throughout the game
Spits got 2 goals and an assist from Damico, 3 assists from Abraham, Maggio 1G and 2A,Perrott a goal,Deangelis a goal and Zito a goal.
Onuska played well to get the win,as the Knights scored 2PPG and 1 with the goalie out late in the 3rd.
Getting 5 out of 6 points on the weekend a great get for this team,now in 3rd place 1 point up on the Hounds and having 4 games in hand on the SOO.
Spits are now 8-1-1-1 in their last 11 games,8-0 at home in the process,15-5--1-1 since the trade deadline.

spits

Jul 24, 2013
That was a terrific game. Team showed a bit of fatigue playing 3 games in 2.5 days but found a way to get the win. Have to give credit to the coaching staff who appear to have the whole team buying in and playing hard. London was playing goon hockey today, loudest cheer of the night was Zito's KO on Mailloux lol. Onuska might even be better than Medina anyway, he was solid again. Depth isn't really a concern as we see everyone is contributing. Sobolev is improving every game. Cuylle has looked a bit out of synch but always works hard. Spits have a legit chance of winning the conference. OS, ER x 2, Sarnia, OS in the next 5 games.

Earlofpoundcake

Sep 22, 2018
I know you all don’t know me. I’m more of a creeper and don’t post much. Because I shouldn’t.

Legend, I’m embarrassed for you. Give it up on Medina. You’re such a fan girl. I know you think you have a connection to him but he’s gone. It was ugly. He’s not coming back. It’s his own doing. Don’t ask how I know.

D’Amico deserved the first star today. How about someone acknowledge that?

I am also happy Zito took on Mailloux. That entitled punk shouldn’t even be playing.

geeze.

Cherrydon

Jan 4, 2019
WINDSOR
First of all, a fantastic win and weekend. Team looks more united then ever. Funny my wife said Friday that Onuska was wearing Medinas mask. I shrugged it off until I looked hard today. 100% Onuska is wearing Medinas mask ( front half) that is a quiet statement that obviously sets the tone of our current goaltending status. I don't think "borrowed" as Your TV described it on rewatching the game would be realistic if X was still part of the party. Nonetheless the effort today was exactly what I expect of a blue collar Spits team. Very proud of the weekend effort by all but mostly to Onuska who came in under the microscope and delivered more than I expected. Cheers!!

Attackfan72

Dec 30, 2018
I know you all don’t know me. I’m more of a creeper and don’t post much. Because I shouldn’t.

Legend, I’m embarrassed for you. Give it up on Medina. You’re such a fan girl. I know you think you have a connection to him but he’s gone. It was ugly. He’s not coming back. It’s his own doing. Don’t ask how I know.

D’Amico deserved the first star today. How about someone acknowledge that?

I am also happy Zito took on Mailloux. That entitled punk shouldn’t even be playing.

geeze.
Zito Zito Zito!!!! :)

KyGuy9

Sep 7, 2012
Honest question - WAS that Medina's mask? I've seen photos of both X and Onuska on Sat... the masks look different.

The shell looks to be identical, only difference is that Onuska has the white cage while Medina had silver, but even the bars on the cage are the exact same layout

Medina
medina-IMG_7905-1024x682.jpg

Onuska

FNNDkMwXwAEuiGV

Generalsupdates

@GeneralsUpdates on Twitter
Sep 4, 2017
Watched that whole game today and was impressed with WSR. They were extremely physical and London had no answer for that. That’s what wins in the playoffs too. If they can get their goaltending locked down they are certainly one of the top 2/3 West favourites to me

OHLTG

Nov 18, 2008
behind lens, Ontario
I'm watching the Zito/Mailloux fight - I think Mailloux's landing is what hurts the shoulder. He was throwing/grabbing fine but goes down hard on the left shoulder.

DetSpitsFan

Nov 20, 2016
That was a great weekend of hockey, I hope that keeps up. 5 out of 6 points on the weekend, couldn’t ask for much more especially given the opponents.

3 in 3 for Onuska really makes me think this goalie situation is in fact, “settled.”Definitely is wearing Medina’s old bucket, with a new cage and back piece. He’s not a Brochu, but if he’s taking two points from Brochu, no complaints here.

Good team effort. Spits did well at holding back and keeping their emotions in check when London got chippy. Would’ve been nice to get the goal back after the Evangelista Goal/Penalty with the unsportsmanlike on Cuylle. But good on Cuylle not taking a swipe at him… I would’ve.

Also huge props to Zito for standing up to Mailloux and rocking him. From the stats I pulled 3” height difference and 40+ pounds. No secret Zito can go and I guess after three shoves to the upper back and the prior “dirty” hits in the game he had enough. I was pumped up after that fight watching from the couch! Lol

A little less of a tough schedule on paper next week, hopefully they can yank close to 6 points out of it with OS at home and a double header in Erie, all winnable games.

This year has to be some sort of record for the quantity of major penalties. The one on OFlaherty definitely looked major worthy, and if suspensions are served out the way they have been, London down a couple guys for a weekend could help us with that battle in the standings.

I know schedules aren’t all equal this year, and Flints schedule isn’t the toughest, but it does look tougher down the stretch despite the long home stand. It’ll take a lot, but they’re catchable

windsor7

Nov 29, 2015
Solid win yesterday.
They bent but didnt break. Windsor was beneficial with a few breaks.
Pp needed to be better. Could of burried london with the 2 5 min major pp. Instead, might of had 4 total shots?
Onuska solid again. Not missing Medina.
Defense was average. They need to be more physical or at least take a man. London was in Windsor zone often.
Once Windsor frustrated london, windsor won the game. Never know what happened if they weren't frustrated.
Building was louder. Thats a great atmosphere. Would be nice if that happened more.

ohloutsider

Jan 13, 2016
Rock & Hardplace
Well I felt like I was watching a game at the barn. Have not seen that type of game for a few years. London trying to send a message backfired. Just another 2 points on the standings in the end but it sure was some kinda game to get there.

On the London thread they said Windsor needed to "stay classy"? Really ! London players running at Spits players with high hits, their captain gets an unsportsman penalty after scoring a goal, Mailloux taunting the Windsor bench and chasing Zito around for the better part of the game! I think the green glasses got a little fogged up yesterday.
Maybe they should have played like McSorley, he never had one penalty and really wasn't noticed out there.

Zito/ Mailloux - Mailloux chased and taunted Zito and the Spits for the most part of the game. Then when K-Zito finally had enough Mailloux wasn't ready for a fight? What the heck did he expect would happen after acting like a goon all game?

Either way it was fun stuff to watch- done with the Knights now unless they meet in the playoffs. There, I will just take a couple of deep breaths and I will be good.

Spits D - this was one of their best games. Kept London on the outside for the most part, clogging the middle as needed. Really happy with the play of DeAngelis and Sobolev. When you don't notice a D on the ice that is a good thing and no glaring errors from either this game. And a nice timely goal from DeAngelis made for a good game for him.

Can we trade for George in the off season? I think he is London's best D. Really impressed with his game.

Did someone say there is some kind of goalie thing going on in Windsor? Onuska was solid. All we've asked for is steady goaltending to give them a shot and we saw this all weekend. Wonder if he does the 3 in 3 this weekend as well?

OS on Thursday. They are a potential first round opponent so need to expect another intense game. Go Spits Go!

hockeylegend11

Sep 11, 2010
Agree with most everything that you opined about especially the atmosphere at the rink.
Knights didn't do much at even strength, 2PP goals and 1 with the goalie out,otherwise Windsor as you. mentioned London kept to the outside a good part of the game.
I am hoping with 3 in 3 this weekend with travel,Onuska doesn't play all 3,Downey needs to get in,not saying play regularly, can't be a 1 goalie team
As you said no taking teams lightly, Owen Sound and Erie fighting for playoff positions will be ready to upset.

Reactions: DetSpitsFan

stips

Apr 3, 2016
There were many hero's yesterday. Maggio was a "Hunter Target" and with "Poetic Justice ", scores the winner, Mailloux chased and cross checked Zito once to many, D'Amico scores 2 (wasn't target), taunted Onuska and he outplayed Brochu, Gilmartin cross checked Heneault 7 times on the one play behind the net (even when down), but never stopped Heneault from playing solid.

The league should look at the amount of (unprovoked) crosschecks, (remember cleaning up head shots?) London delivered, and suspend Hunter appropriately.!!!

Reactions: Section 103
Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad