Windsor Spitfires 2021-22 Season Thread (Part 4)

Status
Not open for further replies.

hockeylegend11

Sep 11, 2010
Yes,considering he doesn't get much ice time on the PP,nice numbers for a 16 year old rookie
Another rookie 17 year old Ryan Abraham has 14 points on the season and 11 of those are at 5 on 5.
Both Abraham and Miedema are plus players too in the plus/ minus category.

Reactions: Nice2CU and OHLTG

HockeyPops

Aug 20, 2018
@hockeylegend11 I love this analysis! You show full season even strength points (and overall points) for these players. Not cherry picking a subset of games or some obscure stat nobody cares about. Keep up this kind of analysis please!!!!!

aresknights

Dec 27, 2009
london
If there were one probably even strength usually 5 on 5,though in this case wasn't my initial interest.
Fortunately everything is onthe OHL website under players, do it by team and their players as opposed to individual players
One stat you may find interesting is London rookie winger Colton Smith
Now on the season he has 12G and 5A for 17 points nice start for a rookie,dig deeper one sees he has 8G,and 4A on the PP,and at even strength he has 4G,1A for 5 points.
I can almost guarantee you he has benefited greatly playing with Evangelista on the PP, as Evangelista has over 20 points on the PP.
Now you would know more then me on this question, does Smith play alot with Evangelista when teams are at 5 on 5?
One thing I looked up in the 4 games Evangelista missed this season Smith scored 1 PP goal.
Another thing on Smith and this might answer my question to you and if he plays with Evangelista, noticed he is a -7,highest on the team,so I doubt much time with Evangelista otherwise both would be high minus guys and only 1 is.

I really don't find many of your stats interesting, as they are limited, selective and often non comparable.

Any1 watching LK games know Smith has benefitted from PP Gs lol. He has been opportunistic on PP. No doubt. No illusions. No one has said otherwise lol, no one, but if ya need to bring it up for some odd reason so be it lol.
No he doesn't usually play on a line with LE. He plays 3/4 line on a team that isn't deep with scoring.

But to be clear 5 on 5 is the stat you value more than others? Just for future reference. I'm sure it'll change when neccessary

Last edited:

Cherrydon

Jan 4, 2019
WINDSOR
With taxi squads now for the NHL until at least the Feb all star break, the door closing tighter on any hope Foudy is returned. Not that many thought it was still a possibility

Reactions: windsor7

hockeylegend11

Sep 11, 2010
With taxi squads now for the NHL until at least the Feb all star break, the door closing tighter on any hope Foudy is returned. Not that many thought it was still a possibility

I would agree unlikely Foudy gets returned to Windsor with as you mentioned taxi squads back in vogue for NHL teams,will be like last season where the AHL was diluted because each team could place up to 6 players on the taxi squad aside from the 23 man roster limit.
Got to admit 1st time I have seen in awhile if ever that an underage forward averaged 45 points in Jrs and sticks in the AHL (after 2 years in jrs)
Do I think Colarado has errored I do,guess we will see in the next couple of years.
Can't blame the kid for taking 80,000 US a season instead of what he would make in jrs,guess we will see how things work out.
Windsor the only team of the top 4 teams to have 2 players who could have returned this season, one choice by his team, the other dman Rueben Rafkin who elected to stay in Finland after going back last year to play with no Jr hockey played here at least in the O.
No doubt Foudy and Rafkin would have made a difference if both were here this season.
While not a big fan of Foudy and his game,he could have been dealt for other assets,as for Rafkin definitely liked him here.
Now someone will point out that out of Guelph, SSM and London,both SSM and London lost players to Europe who could have returned, SSM with goalie Malik and London with Steklov the dman from Russia.
They would be right Malik stayed in Europe, though Steklov after a bit more then a third of the season in Russia,apparently is rejoining London after the world Jrs. so yes Windsor is the only team to not have 2 players that were expected to return.
That being said being tied for 1st in the division and tied for 2nd in the conference at this time with SSM,and only 4 points out of 1st in the conference behind Guelph shows good organizational depth despite these 2 losses and that's a good thing.

hockeylegend11

Sep 11, 2010
Saw this on the Spits website
Wyatt Johnston who is 4th overall in league scoring with 45 points,17G,28A
also leads the Western Conference in scoring 1 point more then SSM forward Rory Kirins.
As well Johnston leads the O in danger shots with 72,1 ahead of team mate Will Cuylle and Kingston forward Lucas Edmonds.

Reactions: Nice2CU

member 71782

Didn't Rafkin sign a contract at home just after the 2019-20 season was canceled, well before there were any decisions on the 2020-21 season? Maybe I'm mistaken but I thought part of the arguments on here were about Windsor drafting only Sobolev in the 2020 import draft when they already knew Rafkin wasn't returning in 2020-21 even if there was a season so that really has no impact on this season's roster.

Anyways, so far Windsor's season resumes tomorrow with a trip to the Aud to face Kitchener.

Will they pick up where they left off before the break?

Will they suffer from a holiday hangover?

Who's in and who's out of the roster?

Any call ups to take a look at some prospects while the games don't count against the 10 game limit?

What does Bowler have planned for 14 days from now.

How many of these questions and others do we get answers for over the next two weeks of wondering what will Windsor do.

ohloutsider

Jan 13, 2016
Rock & Hardplace
What’s it going to take to get cuylle out of Windsor ?
Trade history with Marty is a bit "sour" in Windsor so the price would be a lot higher for Barrie. Don't think Stand Pat Bowler will be making too many moves so Cuylle may very well stay in Windsor. Maybe a big fish coming here instead of Windsor selling.? Who knows? Just want Pat Bowler to show his cards at some point. I'm sure he is talking and hopefully he can find a move that helps now and in the future.

hockeylegend11

Sep 11, 2010
Teams were allowed to have 3 protected Euros though they could only roster 2.
They still own his rights.
When Windsor drafted Sobolev they kept the rights to Rafkin.
He decided again to remain in Europe despite being undrafted again by an NHL team in 2020.

member 71782

He decided again to remain in Europe despite being undrafted again by an NHL team in 2020.

That's fine, Windsor retained his rights even though they knew long before this season or last season had there been one that Rafkin would not be returning so it had no effect on this year's roster. Windsor didn't actually lose a 2nd player, they simply retained the rights to a player who had no intention on returning.

Not quite the same and honestly not a good move since they could have drafted a 2nd player in either the 2020 or 2021 import drafts but didn't.

Seeing how Baisov hasn't panned out as expected it may not have been the best move to make, unless Rafkin has a change of heart and suddenly shows up on the roster tomorrow night.

Any word on Baisov, will he be returning or not?

hockeylegend11

Sep 11, 2010
That's fine, Windsor retained his rights even though they knew long before this season or last season had there been one that Rafkin would not be returning so it had no effect on this year's roster. Windsor didn't actually lose a 2nd player, they simply retained the rights to a player who had no intention on returning.

Not quite the same and honestly not a good move since they could have drafted a 2nd player in either the 2020 or 2021 import drafts but didn't.

Seeing how Baisov hasn't panned out as expected it may not have been the best move to make, unless Rafkin has a change of heart and suddenly shows up on the roster tomorrow night.

Any word on Baisov, will he be returning or not?
Cfaub

As of right now Baisov is returning post Christmas break,he stayed with another player during the break
As for other players returning to the lineup I am expecting Zito and McDonald back in the lineup tomorrow along with Medina,giving Windsor a full lineup, not sure about Ladd and Birkett who both were not available the last game in Saginaw.
Bronson Ride remains out till the new year.
Assuming what I am reporting is correct I doubt anybody else gets called up enough players to fill a roster.

Reactions: DetSpitsFan

Teflon

Jan 6, 2018
I’m going to have to agree, Rafkin was not coming back. He would be a welcome addition for sure but my sources say he didn’t like the atmosphere here. Foudy won’t be back. Imho Cuylie will cost more than most will pay. Just don’t have any faith in BB to make a big move. I believe this last dose of covid is it and it’ll be gone fairly quick.

Reactions: member 71782

OHLTG

Nov 18, 2008
behind lens, Ontario
Given Rafkin is currently playing on Team Finland, I doubt he's anywhere but Edmonton tomorrow. (I don't see him leaving TPS anytime soon, either)

Cherrydon

Jan 4, 2019
WINDSOR
Cfaub

As of right now Baisov is returning post Christmas break,he stayed with another player during the break
As for other players returning to the lineup I am expecting Zito and McDonald back in the lineup tomorrow along with Medina,giving Windsor a full lineup, not sure about Ladd and Birkett who both were not available the last game in Saginaw.
Bronson Ride remains out till the new year.
Assuming what I am reporting is correct I doubt anybody else gets called up enough players to fill a roster.
I personally want Baisov to stick around. First year import players have a ton to prove with high expectations by the fans and a major cultural shift. Sobolev still finding his way and is already older and drafted. The Spits track record in recent years outside of Sergachev has been a shitshow with players wanting out or moved prematurely. Need patience with the imports. Bowler seems to have the patience as he has not been too reactionary to date.

Reactions: DetSpitsFan

nelli27

May 21, 2011
London, Ontario
Saw this on the Spits website
Wyatt Johnston who is 4th overall in league scoring with 45 points,17G,28A
also leads the Western Conference in scoring 1 point more then SSM forward Rory Kirins.
As well Johnston leads the O in danger shots with 72,1 ahead of team mate Will Cuylle and Kingston forward Lucas Edmonds.
Yes, and I just want to confirm (if anyone's wondering) that Wyatt Johnston has more points than McTavish.

HockeyPops

Aug 20, 2018
Soo had to release the rights to Malik in order to draft twice, so I am not sure of the rule but it definitely appears that not every team could protect one and still draft 2.

nelli27

May 21, 2011
London, Ontario
Just got my tickets for tomorrow's game in Kitchener, hopefully Windsor can keep the win streak going.
I say this as a junior hockey fan, have said it many times, the Aud is a great place to watch a game. Everyone has to see at least one game there. If you've been before, you know what I'm talking about. If this is your first time, you'll soon see what I mean. Enjoy!

ottsabrefan

May 19, 2011
Ottawa
I say this as a junior hockey fan, have said it many times, the Aud is a great place to watch a game. Everyone has to see at least one game there. If you've been before, you know what I'm talking about. If this is your first time, you'll soon see what I mean. Enjoy!
My personal favorite as well! I'll need to take my son there at some point for him to experience it as well. It's too bad the old barn and gardens are gone.

dirty12

Mar 6, 2015
Soo had to release the rights to Malik in order to draft twice, so I am not sure of the rule but it definitely appears that not every team could protect one and still draft 2.

covid provision was ability to draft while protecting OA import in addition to nhl drafted. (I think) the wolves had negotiating rights to four imports after the draft

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad