Windsor Spitfires 2019-20 Season Thread (Part 5)

Status
Not open for further replies.

member 71782

IMO weird to see Erie get Sopa (from NIA) and a 13th for a 2nd, 3rd and 8th. Wonder if those are conditionals, OHLInsider reports no conditionals. Sopa is a 00 Import player, that I wouldn't be surprised to see head home after this year and Erie sits 8th in the Western Conference.

Spending a 2nd and a 3rd for a chance to get in the playoffs this season...? Unless they know he'll be back seems strange.

No conditionals and I think it's all about getting into the playoffs with Drysdale in his second year and Erie having missed the playoffs for two years in a row now.

hockeylegend11

Sep 11, 2010
Now that we are past the 1/2 way mark of the season,36 games here are the top 5 scoring teams in the league goals average per game
1-Ottawa- 4.77
2- Windsor-4.47
3- Sarnia- 4.28
4- Sault- 4.23
5- Saginaw-4.11

And in the 11 games since Piironen left for World Jrs,the team D and Goaltending improved.
Windsor now in the top 1/3
Here are the best for goals per game against average.

1- Ottawa- 2.60
2- Guelph ,-2.95
3-Kitchener-3.29
4- Peterboro-3.36
5- London- 3.38
6- Owen Sd.- 3.49
7- Windsor- 3.50

Nice to see Windsor's goals against
on a downward trend.

Reactions: DetSpitsFan

RayzorIsDull

Nov 16, 2007
bp on hfboards
Do you know how far the teams you mentioned are going to go to get players? Or how many names they are going to try and get? I’d let them all go and spend and spend. Should make the Spits job easier next year to buy

It's all relative in regards to how far teams can go. We can do a much better job now of seeing how far teams can go because every team is dealing with the same playing field in how far out you can trade draft picks.

For instance if the Spits don't acquire more picks in 2020 they have 2 2nd rounders. The only other year they have multiple 2nd round picks is 2022. London and Kitchener are still quite healthy in the pick department. Saginaw is still right up there in comparison to Windsor.

Might be easier to buy next year but you're really doubling down because the OHL hosts the Memorial Cup and if you're not hosting(which they won't be) you're going to be in an arms race again.

Let's say they stand relatively pat and Douglas/Angle return but Corcoran/Afanasyev play in the AHL. Do you feel any different about that roster then as you would now???

windsor7

Nov 29, 2015
It's all relative in regards to how far teams can go. We can do a much better job now of seeing how far teams can go because every team is dealing with the same playing field in how far out you can trade draft picks.

For instance if the Spits don't acquire more picks in 2020 they have 2 2nd rounders. The only other year they have multiple 2nd round picks is 2022. London and Kitchener are still quite healthy in the pick department. Saginaw is still right up there in comparison to Windsor.

Might be easier to buy next year but you're really doubling down because the OHL hosts the Memorial Cup and if you're not hosting(which they won't be) you're going to be in an arms race again.

Let's say they stand relatively pat and Douglas/Angle return but Corcoran/Afanasyev play in the AHL. Do you feel any different about that roster then as you would now???

I hope they dont put a bid in for the cup.
They just hosted.
Let someone else host.

TheGremlin

May 23, 2018
Somewhere

No not really. There will be players that step up. I would like them moved tho if there is a very good chance they aren’t going to be back tho.

RayzorIsDull

Nov 16, 2007
bp on hfboards
In regards to whether it's wiser to make a run this year or make a run next year when the OHL hosts the Memorial Cup. Lets look back at the last few times the OHL has hosted.

Mississauga(host)-acquired Shugg/Cantin early, acquired DeSousa/D'Orazio later
Ottawa-acquired Cardwell/Luciani/Dubois finished 2nd in the conference(out in round 1)
Owen Sound-acquired Fritsch/Gilbert/Zador (OHL champs #1 seed west)
Saginaw-acquired Sisca/McFarland/Chiarot/Prout/Archibald/(eliminated round 2 by Windsor)
Windsor-acquired Carnevale/Carrick/Brown/Robertson/Cullen/Ebert along with others before the season began eg. McQueen/Tarini/McIntyre(eliminated western finals)

The host and winner of the OHL actually did very little compared to the other teams trying to make a run.

Oshawa 1 seed east did very little
North Bay-Bratina/Thomson/Liberati OHL Finalists lost to Guelph
Guelph-Rychel/Ebert/Trojanovic/Pierog
Erie-Gaunce/MacDermid
Soo-Moore/Corson/Hore/Dupay
London-Smith/Basso/Austin/Bell

Guelph wins the league, London eliminated round 2

Peterborough-Korostolev/Paquette/Black
Erie-Cirelli/Foegele/Lizotte/Murcada
London-Stephens/Vande Somple/Carbonara/Salituro
Windsor-Addison/Knott/Bracco/Day/Laishram/Robertson
Soo-did very little

Erie wins the league, Windsor wins Memorial Cup

Even in a year where the OHL hosts you still have teams going all in and chances are only 1 team comes out better in the end. On the other end in a year you don't host teams aren't apprehensive about going for it because there are still 2 spots in the OHL final. Yes the goal is to win the OHL Final but in a non hosting year you can't get to the Memorial Cup without making the OHL Final.

Teflon

Jan 6, 2018
There’s lots of talk but not many deals. My gut says there may not be many either. Kinda weird out there right now. Guys I know say there’s a lot of head scratching goin on. Told BB is fence sitting, not instigating any chats..... it’s to damn quiet across the league, what gives???

Reactions: DetSpitsFan

member 71782

While many of us have our wish lists I think most believed this is how Windsor's deadline would be going, not much going on.

Maybe the Savages went on vacation and turned off their phones so Bowler can't get permission to do anything.

As for some of the other teams, some are probably waiting for those sitting on the fence to get the pickets out of their ***** and figure out what they're going to do.

Reactions: ohloutsider

ohloutsider

Jan 13, 2016
Rock & Hardplace
While many of us have our wish lists I think most believed this is how Windsor's deadline would be going, not much going on.

Maybe the Savages went on vacation and turned off their phones so Bowler can't get permission to do anything.

As for some of the other teams, some are probably waiting for those sitting on the fence to get the pickets out of their ***** and figure out what they're going to do.
With nobody in the west making a move other than Flint I get the feeling Bowler is sitting there waiting to see if stand pat will keep us near the top. Somebody will blink before noon Friday. Can't see Guelph not selling some pieces. Bowler has to know at some point he has to show his cards.

I can't honestly remember the last time the Spits were not buyers or sellers at the deadline.

scokan

Nov 23, 2009
southern ontario
pretty sad that he's still on the fence this close to the deadline, makes you think this rookie gm is gonna be a second guesser, just pick a direction and go and dont look back. have to wonder if wr was still at the realm what would have happened already.

Reactions: member 71782

member 71782

With nobody in the west making a move other than Flint I get the feeling Bowler is sitting there waiting to see if stand pat will keep us near the top. Somebody will blink before noon Friday. Can't see Guelph not selling some pieces. Bowler has to know at some point he has to show his cards.

I can't honestly remember the last time the Spits were not buyers or sellers at the deadline.

I agree but this year they may not be buyers or sellers unless spending another 12th or two puts them in the buyers category. I can see another 7th D and 13th forward coming into the fold just to say they did something that wouldn't affect the team they are happy with while providing a bit of depth for the playoffs.

OHLTG

Nov 18, 2008
behind lens, Ontario
I was thinking about that earlier...

2019 - sell
2018 - sell
2017 - buy
2016 - mid-range (a few in, a few out)
2015 - mid-range (only a few trades total)

I can't see Bowler standing pat, at least not completely, esp. with the publicity of other deals. You can't just go "London, Flint, etc have all improved, but we're happy with what we have."

member 71782

pretty sad that he's still on the fence this close to the deadline, makes you think this rookie gm is gonna be a second guesser, just pick a direction and go and dont look back. have to wonder if wr was still at the realm what would have happened already.

I can just imagine Rychel sitting in the GMs office wishing he was calling the shots instead of just trying to ensure his opinion was being heard. I would imagine if he were here we would have seen two deals already with a big one to come and a couple of depth additions just to fill out the roster. Don't think I would have agreed with it but at least he would have been decisive.

member 71782

I was thinking about that earlier...

2019 - sell
2018 - sell
2017 - buy
2016 - mid-range (a few in, a few out)
2015 - mid-range (only a few trades total)

I can't see Bowler standing pat, at least not completely, esp. with the publicity of other deals. You can't just go "London, Flint, etc have all improved, but we're happy with what we have."

2019 - Beyond DiPietro he didn't sell.
2018 - He sold as much as he could.
2017 - Buy! Buy! Buy! He had no choice.
2016 - While the deadline may have been a bit of both he was buying more than selling that year.
2015 - A mess for year number 4 in a row for the most part.

I can see Bowler doing just that, standing pat, he may not have any options within his power.

Reactions: OHL 17 and windsor7

member 71782

Is there anyone who would be happy if he didn't do a thing? (I wouldn't, btw)

Obviously I wouldn't but I would imagine there's a few who don't want to see him spending assets, holding out hope for everything falling into place next year while riding out this year with what have again, hoping that everything falls into place for next year while getting a better than expected result from the playoffs, over achieve the way I believe they have so far.

Reactions: HockeyPops

windsor7

Nov 29, 2015

Sounds about right

windsor7

Nov 29, 2015

Wr would of made a trade or 2 by now.
And the fans know the direction spits r going.
Saving money is what the owners want i guess. Pinching pennies

windsor7

Nov 29, 2015
I agree but this year they may not be buyers or sellers unless spending another 12th or two puts them in the buyers category. I can see another 7th D and 13th forward coming into the fold just to say they did something that wouldn't affect the team they are happy with while providing a bit of depth for the playoffs.

I guess that something but not a step forward for future.

Reactions: member 71782

member 71782

The one thing I have agreed with what Bowler/the organization has said since the summer is they want to build a sustainable on ice product, I agree with this approach 100%. The problem is to start that process they need a young line up and a lot of draft picks if their intentions are to stand pat. You can't hold onto expiring assets while not having a draft board that is overflowing. It's decent as it stands but after the draft it won't look so great.

That's why it has to be one direction or another, either they are going to keep adding to build that stability or they're going to throw caution to the wind and say we've exceeded expectations and we're going to support what's happened and put it all on the line.

Pick a direction and follow through, I'm sure Bowler's hands are warm enough and probably getting numb from sitting on them.

Reactions: windsor7

punch1943

Apr 15, 2012
South Detroit
Obviously I wouldn't but I would imagine there's a few who don't want to see him spending assets, holding out hope for everything falling into place next year while riding out this year with what have again, hoping that everything falls into place for next year while getting a better than expected result from the playoffs, over achieve the way I believe they have so far.

If he stands pat I shalt be pissed. I hope he adds a few picks by dealing guys who won’t be here next year or who shouldn’t be here next year. At the very least I want two 3rds.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad