Windsor Spitfires 2018-19 Thread (Part 3)

Status
Not open for further replies.

RayzorIsDull

Nov 16, 2007
bp on hfboards
Legend if you don't believe Letowski isn't the coach to lead the team to a title I don't care if he has 7 years left. So the fall guys will be the players even though we have a body of work with Letowski during his OHL coaching career of 200+ games and by the end of this season will be over 270 games. That's a large body of work to start being honest about him.

aresknights

Dec 27, 2009
london
Agree 100% with Legend... WR would never pay a coach to go away especially if the payout was for 3 years. Attendance is awful and will be so this season. $$$ are flying out the window as is.
Scotty Bowman couldn’t turn this team into a contender this year

I agree with this. Financials will play a big part in any decision of this magnitude.
Some good young pieces there (Foudy/Cuyllie)
I think its up to the GM right now more so than the coach. Still need some high end talent added over the next year and a restock of some picks.
And he isnt going anywhere.
DiPi moved would definitely help get the ball moving.

KyGuy9

Sep 7, 2012
I think 2 seasons from now will be the best shot at a "Go for it" year. Cuylle, Foudy and McDonald will be in their third years, Piiroinen, Staios, D'Amico, Ladd and Morgan will be in their fourth years, and with the way they are playing potential OAs Douglas, MacDougall and Corcoran. If DiPietro is traded, hopefully that will add a first round pick to the lineup and restock the cupboards to use as assets.

windsor7

Nov 29, 2015
I think 2 seasons from now will be the best shot at a "Go for it" year. Cuylle, Foudy and McDonald will be in their third years, Piiroinen, Staios, D'Amico, Ladd and Morgan will be in their fourth years, and with the way they are playing potential OAs Douglas, MacDougall and Corcoran. If DiPietro is traded, hopefully that will add a first round pick to the lineup and restock the cupboards to use as assets.

I sure hope that Douglas is not here in 2 years.

OHLTG

Nov 18, 2008
behind lens, Ontario
You don't trade 6'9 250lb power fowards who can score and play physical. Unless Dallas has AHL plans for Douglas in his OA season, he'll be around.

windsor7

Nov 29, 2015
You don't trade 6'9 250lb power fowards who can score and play physical. Unless Dallas has AHL plans for Douglas in his OA season, he'll be around.

He hasn't played like that at all.
Maybe he still pouting for being sent back but how much time do u give him before u say he needs to go? He has had lots of time to pout.
U have to trade guys for the benefit of the team. Douglas hasn't done much for the team as of yet.

ohloutsider

Jan 13, 2016
Rock & Hardplace
Maybe he still pouting for being sent back but how much time do u give him before u say he needs to go? He has had lots of time to pout.
U have to trade guys for the benefit of the team. Douglas hasn't done much for the team as of yet.
Douglas played much better this past weekend - I'm sure someone from Dallas gave him a little nudge to help inspire him. Kids sometimes take a few weeks to get over it. Probably the first time in his life he has been "cut" from a team try out.

hockeylegend11

Sep 11, 2010

Douglas has 3 points in last 4 games,2 in his last 3,set up Playfair's winner last Thursday, that's an improvement that deserves patience,also is 2nd highest plus forward on team at+4.
1st 7 games he had 1 point a goal,and I was one saying he needed to be better.
You cant get into the habit of dumping guys after a bad 7 game start nobody will want to play here if that's the case.

Reactions: Teflon and OHLTG

OHLTG

Nov 18, 2008
behind lens, Ontario
You can't dump them especially when the potential is so high. It's not like we're talking some 2001 kid who hasn't played the league before. "You're struggling so we're sending you to LaSalle for seasoning." Nope. They know what Douglas can do and will give him every chance to do well. He's putting in the effort and it's clear as day. The rewards are starting to come, too.

windsor7

Nov 29, 2015
You can't dump them especially when the potential is so high. It's not like we're talking some 2001 kid who hasn't played the league before. "You're struggling so we're sending you to LaSalle for seasoning." Nope. They know what Douglas can do and will give him every chance to do well. He's putting in the effort and it's clear as day. The rewards are starting to come, too.

He putting in the effort? Lol

TheGremlin

May 23, 2018
Somewhere
Boy i missed a lot today. As far as Letowski goes you have to give him a shot. He did well in Sarnia when they were rebuilding i thought before Hatcher fired him so he could coach. I’m also thinking Weber is kinda learning on the fly on becoming a coach which may be a small reason there are some struggles on D.

Reactions: hockeylegend11

TheGremlin

May 23, 2018
Somewhere
See Legend. I’m not always negative. Also i don’t think i said Mikey was only reason we won the Cup. I just felt he was the main reason. Yes team has to play well and they got timely goals. I’m just usually more biased towards goaltenders.

OHLTG

Nov 18, 2008
behind lens, Ontario
Well he not skating well. The puck gets knocked off his stick a lot at ease. Looks uninterested in what the coach says.

He skates as well as you can for a guy his size. Do you expect him to zip around the ice like Foudy? Not going to happen. Also, how do you know he's "uninterested in what the coach says"? That's a pretty specific thing. While Douglas doesn't put up a point-per-game, he's as involved in the play as anyone. His point totals have also gone up, which is a pretty good indication that he's doing something right. Like I said when he returned, he needed a period of adjustment and it seems to have worked.

RayzorIsDull

Nov 16, 2007
bp on hfboards
Boy i missed a lot today. As far as Letowski goes you have to give him a shot. He did well in Sarnia when they were rebuilding i thought before Hatcher fired him so he could coach. I’m also thinking Weber is kinda learning on the fly on becoming a coach which may be a small reason there are some struggles on D.

I would agree on the part in regards Weber. Of course hiring a rookie in Weber who has never coached with a young D is probably questionable to begin with just from the standpoint of everyone learning on the job.

In regards to Letowski it's a real mixed bag. You can say he's never had a lot of talent at his disposal but on the other hand he didn't do a lot in that time to distinguish himself. Sometimes you have to make hay when it's light out. If the biggest reason they want to keep him around is because he has over 2 years left that's not exactly a good reason as far as the hockey product goes.

windsor7

Nov 29, 2015
He skates as well as you can for a guy his size. Do you expect him to zip around the ice like Foudy? Not going to happen. Also, how do you know he's "uninterested in what the coach says"? That's a pretty specific thing. While Douglas doesn't put up a point-per-game, he's as involved in the play as anyone. His point totals have also gone up, which is a pretty good indication that he's doing something right. Like I said when he returned, he needed a period of adjustment and it seems to have worked.

The adjustment period should be done with. That excuse shouldn't be even said anymore. There r other players who have been sent back n contributed more.
There has been times where the coach is talking during the game and the other team ates r paying attention n looking at the coach. Douglas is looking other way looking like he is uninterested. Akso maybe start playing like a guy his size. He doesn't.

Reactions: Earlofpoundcake

OHLTG

Nov 18, 2008
behind lens, Ontario
It's questionable the effort to say the least. He has been a healthy scratch. He's noticeable because he's huge, he isn't noticeable passed upon performance.

Half the forward group has been a healthy scratch and Letowski has said repeatedly that it's a numbers game.

The adjustment period should be done with. That excuse shouldn't be even said anymore. There r other players who have been sent back n contributed more.
There has been times where the coach is talking during the game and the other team ates r paying attention n looking at the coach. Douglas is looking other way looking like he is uninterested. Akso maybe start playing like a guy his size. He doesn't.

When multiple teams are saying the same thing (re: adjustment), you can't use "it's an excuse." Sorry. Sometimes, stuff actually does happen that factors into gameplay, whether we like it or not.

So, because he's not staring at the coach the entire time, he doesn't pay attention? Man, I could show you some photos LOL half the team must not care.

The issue with "playing his size" is that when you're 6'9 250lbs, you're going to hurt people if you hit them with any real effort. Would I like him to hit more than he has been? Sure. Is he going to be slamming everyone through the boards? No. It's still the OHL and he's still stronger than a lot of players. Knowing this league, if he hits someone with even half the strength that he could, he'll be called for a penalty.

RayzorIsDull

Nov 16, 2007
bp on hfboards
Half the forward group has been a healthy scratch and Letowski has said repeatedly that it's a numbers game.

When multiple teams are saying the same thing (re: adjustment), you can't use "it's an excuse." Sorry. Sometimes, stuff actually does happen that factors into gameplay, whether we like it or not.

So, because he's not staring at the coach the entire time, he doesn't pay attention? Man, I could show you some photos LOL half the team must not care.

The issue with "playing his size" is that when you're 6'9 250lbs, you're going to hurt people if you hit them with any real effort. Would I like him to hit more than he has been? Sure. Is he going to be slamming everyone through the boards? No. It's still the OHL and he's still stronger than a lot of players. Knowing this league, if he hits someone with even half the strength that he could, he'll be called for a penalty.

So you take everything the coach says as gospel? The Spits have 1 NHL drafted forward in Douglas and he was a healthy scratch. Just a numbers game because he was the one that was scratched? Do you think it was just a coincidence when he got scratched? Do you think he will get scratched now after putting up some points? Are you that gullible?

Reactions: Earlofpoundcake

OHLTG

Nov 18, 2008
behind lens, Ontario
With Larionov no longer on the roster, there's only one scratch per game, so it's much less likely that Douglas sits, or almost any other forward sits.

As for what the coaches said - you can read anything you want into it, but sometimes you gotta take it at face value. Otherwise, what's the point? "The coach said it, but since I believe something else, I'm not going to believe him." Given there were at least six different forwards not dressed at some point, I tend to lean towards face value. I have no evidence to show otherwise.

windsor7

Nov 29, 2015

I will simply just disagree.
As I don't think any of the spitfire can do any wrong for u

ohloutsider

Jan 13, 2016
Rock & Hardplace
I would agree on the part in regards Weber. Of course hiring a rookie in Weber who has never coached with a young D is probably questionable to begin with just from the standpoint of everyone learning on the job.

In regards to Letowski it's a real mixed bag. You can say he's never had a lot of talent at his disposal but on the other hand he didn't do a lot in that time to distinguish himself. Sometimes you have to make hay when it's light out. If the biggest reason they want to keep him around is because he has over 2 years left that's not exactly a good reason as far as the hockey product goes.
Letowski was selected last year as a coach with the WJT and they won gold, yes he was not the head coach but you don't get picked for that team if you are a "bad" coach.

Reactions: hockeylegend11
Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad