Windsor Spitfires 2017-18 Season Thread (Part 1)

Status
Not open for further replies.

RayzorIsDull

Nov 16, 2007
bp on hfboards
You forgot Will Brown, Trifone, Carrick, and Stevenson on D. McEneny, Nother, Staios, Starikov, Brown, Carrick, Corcoran, and Stevenson are eight while Trifone adds nine. (though, in theory, Brown could be pushed out) Where does that leave Henault? Send him to Jr B for a season, get playing time, and then he comes next year once McEneny is gone. I like Henault; I just don't want to see him get minimal ice time in the O if he could have regular playing time with Jr B.

As for the forwards - yeah, you keep a couple around because you need the veterans in there. I'm all for keeping Larionov and Barraclough has grown on me, too. His physical play was impressive on Tuesday afternoon. Latta I could take or leave, same with Mizzi.

I remember having a discussion in the past abaout how you need veterans on a rebuild to insulate the youngsters. This is a golden time to do that. I like Henault a whole lot but I'd personally rather see him get ample ice in Jr B, while a kid like Gauvin, who's a veteran relatively speaking, gets the depth minutes in the O.

Needing veterans on a rebuilding team isn't necessarily true either. In the Spits worst season under Rychel 06/07 where they won 18 games they by the deadline they were left with 1 OA left. The lack of veterans around didn't hurt the development of Henrique/Nemisz/Wellwood/Cundari. The issue this year is they don't have a crop of kids like that, and are not at the stage of where they have a full compliment of picks. If you keep a bunch of 19 year olds around for this it's only a patchwork and not a rebuild. If you want to rebuild you play the kids and find out if they sink or swim. Next year will be real rough as well so you might as well start this tthing out now.

tomschman

Oct 29, 2015
Other random thoughts on training camp:

Sergachev - While I don't expect him back, I would trade him now for a late round draft (or an OA) and a boatload of conditional picks. My thinking is that both Kozhevnikov and Starikov have shown they belong in the OHL. Therefore, if we wait for Sergichev to be returned, and he actually is returned he would have to be traded immediately or one of the 3 would have to be released. We need Kozhevnikov and Starikov more in the following year (or years in Starikov's case) then we need Sergachev this year.

Day - I assume he will be in the AHL, but the Rangers may choose to delay his contract another year. The business angle would need to be considered. I would assume that since this would be his 5th year in the league, his NTC no longer applies. I would trade him near the deadline and might even get someone's 1st round choice from last April.

Brown - I expect Brown to play 9 regular season games with Ottawa and return sometime in November. I would trade him at the deadline if he waives his NTC.

Bracco - Don't expect him back. However, Toronto waited almost 2 years to sign him. They have a lot of talent at the AHL level. He might be returned to keep his contract from starting and I feel a player is better off in the OHL when eligible then being sent down to the ECHL. If he returns, he needs to be traded.

Vilardi- His worth is probably down due to injury, but if he is healthy at the trade deadline I would move him if he would waive his NTC. His injury history of the past 2 seasons is becoming a concern though I realize the appendix issue will not reoccur.

DiPietro - I would not trade him until Baier has shown that he is OHL ready and is a starter. This may mean not trading him until the start of next season. Losing can be bad mentally for a young team and DiPietro has shown that he is capable of stealing some wins, which could help the morale of the rest of the team.

Luchuk - Should be named Captain. Might consider trading him at the deadline if the offer is really good. However his leadership for the young players may be more valuable than the assets that he brings in.

McEneny - Should be an Alternate Captain. Not sure that he has much value at the trade deadline. Appears to have good leadership qualities. His no giving up attitude after being passed over twice in the OHL draft, then going to the Q before signing here and winning the Memorial Cup. At this point, he is our best D.

Boka - Good work ethic. Possible future Captain. Would not trade him unless the offer was just too good to turn down.

Purboo - Get him skating lessons.

As far as a third OA, I would prefer to go with 2 and let the younger players have more ice time.

RayzorIsDull

Nov 16, 2007
bp on hfboards
I don't disagree with these thoughts. Keep in mind if the Spits don't get enough picks to satisfy 2018, 2019 they might have to deal DiPietro. Teams have Windsor over a barrel right now they don't have to move any 2018 or 19 picks they can give Windsor what they deem is fair value. Windsor gave up late picks for Bracco maybe another team is of the opinion these guys like Brown/Vilardi are only worth the same. The next two years are going to be very rough. I would also add this stuff about Purboo being a poor skater we already knew this. He's the perfect type of guy you would cut from this team. He's 18 years old he doesn't skate well enough to kill penalties, he can't play pp because he doesn't have great hockey sense. The biggest way to send a message and show there will be accountability is if Purboo doesn't impress he's cut.

Last edited:

OHLTG

Nov 18, 2008
behind lens, Ontario
Needing veterans on a rebuilding team isn't necessarily true either. In the Spits worst season under Rychel 06/07 where they won 18 games they by the deadline they were left with 1 OA left. The lack of veterans around didn't hurt the development of Henrique/Nemisz/Wellwood/Cundari. The issue this year is they don't have a crop of kids like that, and are not at the stage of where they have a full compliment of picks. If you keep a bunch of 19 year olds around for this it's only a patchwork and not a rebuild. If you want to rebuild you play the kids and find out if they sink or swim. Next year will be real rough as well so you might as well start this tthing out now.

You need a few veterans to insulate the young players. It's their leadership and experience that will come in handy. Even in the first year with Nemisz et. al, you still had several guys who were veterans to help. This year, guys like Luchuk, Nother, McEneny, Boka will be crucial, and even guys with Jr B experience will be big. You don't load up on the 98s and 99s, but having enough to help the young players would be ideal.

I'll post thoughts on today later. The players were put into four teams - two scrimmages total. Looks like F Recchi is gone from camp. No word on why (cut v. something else). His name is off the roster list, though. Another goal today for Sirman, and he also got into a tilt with Boka after a few words exchanged. More to come...

punch1943

Apr 15, 2012
South Detroit
Other random thoughts on training camp:

Sergachev - While I don't expect him back, I would trade him now for a late round draft (or an OA) and a boatload of conditional picks. My thinking is that both Kozhevnikov and Starikov have shown they belong in the OHL. Therefore, if we wait for Sergichev to be returned, and he actually is returned he would have to be traded immediately or one of the 3 would have to be released. We need Kozhevnikov and Starikov more in the following year (or years in Starikov's case) then we need Sergachev this year.

Day - I assume he will be in the AHL, but the Rangers may choose to delay his contract another year. The business angle would need to be considered. I would assume that since this would be his 5th year in the league, his NTC no longer applies. I would trade him near the deadline and might even get someone's 1st round choice from last April.

Brown - I expect Brown to play 9 regular season games with Ottawa and return sometime in November. I would trade him at the deadline if he waives his NTC.

Bracco - Don't expect him back. However, Toronto waited almost 2 years to sign him. They have a lot of talent at the AHL level. He might be returned to keep his contract from starting and I feel a player is better off in the OHL when eligible then being sent down to the ECHL. If he returns, he needs to be traded.

Vilardi- His worth is probably down due to injury, but if he is healthy at the trade deadline I would move him if he would waive his NTC. His injury history of the past 2 seasons is becoming a concern though I realize the appendix issue will not reoccur.

DiPietro - I would not trade him until Baier has shown that he is OHL ready and is a starter. This may mean not trading him until the start of next season. Losing can be bad mentally for a young team and DiPietro has shown that he is capable of stealing some wins, which could help the morale of the rest of the team.

Luchuk - Should be named Captain. Might consider trading him at the deadline if the offer is really good. However his leadership for the young players may be more valuable than the assets that he brings in.

McEneny - Should be an Alternate Captain. Not sure that he has much value at the trade deadline. Appears to have good leadership qualities. His no giving up attitude after being passed over twice in the OHL draft, then going to the Q before signing here and winning the Memorial Cup. At this point, he is our best D.

Boka - Good work ethic. Possible future Captain. Would not trade him unless the offer was just too good to turn down.

Purboo - Get him skating lessons.

As far as a third OA, I would prefer to go with 2 and let the younger players have more ice time.

Don't disagree with your random thoughts, although I'd trade Brown as soon as he's returned. I suspect he would be quite happy to head to a contender. As for Mikey, I'm of the opinion that he won't be able to steal many games on a rookie laden team. Hoping our NHL candidates do well for themselves...but the more that return is better for us.....

punch1943

Apr 15, 2012
South Detroit
I don't disagree with these thoughts. Keep in mind if the Spits don't get enough picks to satisfy 2018, 2019 they might have to deal DiPietro. Teams have Windsor over a barrel right now they don't have to move any 2018 or 19 picks they can give Windsor what they deem is fair value. Windsor gave up late picks for Bracco maybe another team is of the opinion these guys like Brown/Vilardi are only worth the same. The next two years are going to be very rough. I would also add this stuff about Purboo being a poor skater we already knew this. He's the perfect type of guy you would cut from this team. He's 18 years old he doesn't skate well enough to kill penalties, he can't play pp because he doesn't have great hockey sense. The biggest way to send a message and show there will be accountability is if Purboo doesn't impress he's cut.
I think the more operative word is traded rather than cut for Purboo. I think he has value and would not be surprised to see him moved. I don't think the return would be high but as part of a package I could see it happen. Reminds me of a couple ex NHL guys who could do little except score. He does have a descent touch around the net.

tomschman

Oct 29, 2015
You need a few veterans to insulate the young players. It's their leadership and experience that will come in handy. Even in the first year with Nemisz et. al, you still had several guys who were veterans to help. This year, guys like Luchuk, Nother, McEneny, Boka will be crucial, and even guys with Jr B experience will be big. You don't load up on the 98s and 99s, but having enough to help the young players would be ideal.

I'll post thoughts on today later. The players were put into four teams - two scrimmages total. Looks like F Recchi is gone from camp. No word on why (cut v. something else). His name is off the roster list, though. Another goal today for Sirman, and he also got into a tilt with Boka after a few words exchanged. More to come...

Recchi is a 16yo from Pennsylvania. He couldn't be sent to Jr. B and is at least a year from being ready for the OHL. He left to protect his NCAA elgibility.

OHLTG

Nov 18, 2008
behind lens, Ontario
Cuts from today, from Spits' website...

William Brown, Erik Yelle, Joey Trifone, Gianluca Pizzuto, Matthew O’Brien, Josh Barraclough, Jeff Taylor, Michael Andrews, Braeden Agresti, Michael Aloise and Markus Paterson have been released from camp as of this afternoon.

RayzorIsDull

Nov 16, 2007
bp on hfboards
I think the more operative word is traded rather than cut for Purboo. I think he has value and would not be surprised to see him moved. I don't think the return would be high but as part of a package I could see it happen. Reminds me of a couple ex NHL guys who could do little except score. He does have a descent touch around the net.

That's fair. The thing with Purboo is everyone has said his skating is poor. We knew this when he impressed in 2015 prospect camp in April and now here we are in Sept of 2017 and he's still a poor skater and after 2.5 years that isn't likely to change. I would be apprehensive to say he has a decent tough around the net he got 4 goals in his first 4 games on 6 shots, 4 goals on 6 shots isn't close to sustainable. He went on to get 7 goals in his next 64 games on 52 shots. In order for him to become a goal scorer he would need to improve his skating and certainly be more aggressive and shoot the puck more. If Purboo impresses and shows he can be a top 6 forward which shouldn't be an issue looking at all the attrition I am down with that. If he can't be a top 6 forward he's a 4th line guy and in a rebuild he shouldn't be a 4th liner since he's one of the most experienced forwards returning.

hockeylegend11

Sep 11, 2010
Spits

William Brown, Erik Yelle, Joey Trifone, Gianluca Pizzuto, Matthew O’Brien, Josh Barraclough, Jeff Taylor, Michael Andrews, Braeden Agresti, Michael Aloise and Markus Paterson have been released from camp as of this afternoon.

Roster after cuts, now stands at 40 going into the Blue White game.
4 Goalies,12 D and 24 forwards remain.

Last edited:

tomschman

Oct 29, 2015

The only real surprise to me is Trifone. Does anyone know if it was his Decision or the Spits. I assume that he played today. Does that disqualify him from NCAA.

hockeylegend11

Sep 11, 2010
Spits

The only real surprise to me is Trifone. Does anyone know if it was his Decision or the Spits. I assume that he played today. Does that disqualify him from NCAA.

He could have played tonight without forgoing NCAA
As to whose decision good question, Spits possibly decided that he may not have fit in their top 8, and he being an American, couldn't send him to Jr B because of his age.I do know from talking with family,that he was willing to stay here.
Possibly dman Hayden Johnston same age, except from TBay Ontario,may have figured in the occasion,he has played pretty good so far, solid and unassuming,or perhaps Hunter Carrick finally came around and played well this morning,and the Spits didn't want to go with 2-17 year old dmen USA born with limited options as to seasoning.

Last edited:

OHLTG

Nov 18, 2008
behind lens, Ontario
I'm surprised with Trifone, too. I figured he had a legit shot of sticking, even as a six or seven. Perhaps between Gauvin and Starikov, we hit our quota of 6'7 d-men :laugh:

I won't be at the Blue-White game tonight; too much going on. Hopefully someone can provide a solid update. I'd imagine cuts will come after, too.

hockeylegend11

Sep 11, 2010
Spits

I'm surprised with Trifone, too. I figured he had a legit shot of sticking, even as a six or seven. Perhaps between Gauvin and Starikov, we hit our quota of 6'7 d-men :laugh:

I won't be at the Blue-White game tonight; too much going on. Hopefully someone can provide a solid update. I'd imagine cuts will come after, too.

I had Trifone

8th on the chart,ahead of Gauvin and Carrick.

RayzorIsDull

Nov 16, 2007
bp on hfboards
I don't think people are accounting for the large gap between a fa invite to prospect camp and then being invited to main camp and the level you have to perform at. Trifone had very few options if he ever wanted to maintain eligibility. There's a huge gap between being a guy performing well at camp and taking that and performing against an opposition where you're facing other guys trying to make a team or playing against veteran guys. This isn't the type of training camp where you get a gauge of a players ability.

hockeylegend11

Sep 11, 2010
Spits

As you say expect cuts after the Blue/White game tonight. Logic says 10 or so. Wud not surprise to see a minor deal or waiver claim made shortly as well.

Players cut tonight include,Evan Benwell, Vincent Desanctis,Matteo DeGuilo, Austin Brimmer, Kyle West,Brock Grandbois, Hayden Johnston,Kory Silverio,Jack Bowler,Pat OLeary,Stefan Dobrich,
Liam Markhuser, Quinton-Loon Stewardson.
27 players remain in camp.
16 year old forwards Jordan Frasca-Center and Winger Daniel D'amico have signed contracts,while Hunter Carrick has been offered a contract.

A little shocked that Desanctis wasn't kept, also surprised about Evan Benwell and Matteo DeGuilo.
Also thought that Andrew Brimmer was the better of D'amico and Frasca, though both played well, personally thought D'amico and Frasca would really challenge next season along with Andrews, Paterson and Taylor.After tonight I thought Brimmer would be the one to get a contract.
No other real shockers,though I will say that O'Leary could be the next signed,the soon to be 17 year old had a solid camp,rate him better then Patton,who allowed 7 goals in 2 periods of action tonight, O'Leary allowed 3 goals in 2 periods,while Brock Baier for the 2nd straight year did not allow a goal,this time no goals allowed in 2 periods of action.
Still getting over the letting go. of Desanctis and Benwell.
Would have signed the 16 year olds D'amico and Frasca next year.

RayzorIsDull

Nov 16, 2007
bp on hfboards
Players cut tonight include,Evan Benwell, Vincent Desanctis,Matteo DeGuilo, Austin Brimmer, Kyle West,Brock Grandbois, Hayden Johnston,Kory Silverio,Jack Bowler,Pat OLeary,Stefan Dobrich,
16 year old forwards Jordan Frasca-Center and Winger Daniel D'amico have signed contracts,while Hunter Carrick has been offered a contract.

A little shocked that Desanctis wasn't kept, also surprised about Evan Benwell and Matteo DeGuilo.
Also thought that Andrew Brimmer was the better of D'amico and Frasca, though both played well, personally thought D'amico and Frasca would really challenge next season along with Andrews, Paterson and Taylor.After tonight I thought Brimmer would be the one to get a contract.
No other real shockers,though I will say that O'Leary could be the next signed,the soon to be 17 year old had a solid camp,rate him better then Patton,who allowed 7 goals in 2 periods of action tonight, O'Leary allowed 3 goals in 2 periods,while Brock Baier for the 2nd straight year did not allow a goal,this time no goals allowed in 2 periods of action.

So all the guys from that draft in April got cut, can't say I am surprised big step up from that level to performing in camp and taking that to exhibition games. Especially when you consider there aren't a lot of vets in this camp.

OHLTG

Nov 18, 2008
behind lens, Ontario
I'm really surprised with Desanctis, Brimmer, and Benwell. I thought they all had strong camps and would have enjoyed seeing them in the pre-season.

D'Amico doesn't surprise me as a keep because his stats last year show he can score. Just needs time. He could be a Jr B guy.

tomschman

Oct 29, 2015

I know Patton was signed last year, but I would have cut him and kept O'Leary to play in Buffalo. Patton didn't stop much tonight. Looked real bad in the shootout.

hockeylegend11

Sep 11, 2010
Team Blue beats Team White 7-3 tonight at the WFCU in the annual Blue-White game.
Cole Purboo and Mathew MacDougall displayed some nice chemistry to lead the Blue team to victory,Purboo scored 2 and added 2 assists,while MacDougall had 1G2A,as well rookie Austin Brimmer scored a goal and added an assist, while forwards Tyler Angle,Kyle West and rookie Jordan Frasca added singles.
Goalie Brock Baier was very solid in goal,in 2 periods of action he allowed zero goals, while Pat OLeary allowed 3 goals in the third.
For Team White, Vincent Desanctis,
lead the way offensively with 1G1A,while vets Luke Boka and Austin McEneny added single markers for the White squad.
Goalie Pat OLeary started for Team White,didn't allow a goal in a scoreless 1st period.
Flood gates opened during the last 2 periods as Lucas Patton came in and allowed 7 goals.

tomschman

Oct 29, 2015
3 G - Baier, DiPietro, Patton
9 D - Carrick, Corcoran, Gauvin, Henault, McEneny, Nother, Staios, Starikov, Stevenson
15 F - Angle, Boka, D'Amico, Frasca, Kozhevnikov, Kutkevicius, Larionov, Latta, Luchuk, MacDougall, Mizzi, Playfair, Purboo, Sirman, Teigen-Katsumi

Not counting Vilardi and Brown

1997 - Luchuck, McEneny
1998 - Gauvin, Kutkevicius, Larinov, Latta, Mizzi, Nother
1999 - Baier, Boka, DiPietro, Kozhevnikov, Patton, Purboo, Sirman, Stevenson, Teigen-Katsumi
2000 - Angle, Carrick, Corcoran, MacDougall, Playfair, Starikov
2001 - D'Amico, Frasca, Henault, Staios

SpItFiReZ

Jan 4, 2004
From what I gathered we current have the following remaining in camp:

Forwards (16):
Logan Brown, Gabriel Vilardi, Aaron Luchuk, Luke Kutkevicius, Luke Boka, Kirill Kozhevnikov, Matthew MacDougall, Cole Purboo, Tyler Angle, Chris Playfair, William Sirman, Igor Larionov, Louis Latta, Jordan Frasca, Daniel D’Amico, Joesph Mizzi

Defense (9):
Tyler Nother, Austin McEneny, Conor Corcoran, Nathan Staios, Hunter Carrick, Lev Starikov, Thomas Stevenson, Louka Henault, Nick Gauvin

Goalies (3):
Mike DiPietro, Brock Baier, Lucas Patton

Cut thus far are (25):
William Brown, Erik Yelle, Joey Trifone, Gianluca Pizzuto, Matthew O’Brien, Josh Barraclough, Jeff Taylor, Michael Andrews, Braeden Agresti, Michael Aloise, Markus Paterson, Liam Markhauser, Austin Brimmer, Hayden Johnston, Brock Grandbois, Quintin Loon- Stewardson, Kyle West, Patrick O’Leary, Evan Benwell, Vincent Desanctis, Jack Bowler, Matteo DiGiulio, Kory Silverio, Stefan Dobrich, Davis-Teigen-Katsumi

My guess at the roster (players interchangeable):
Gabriel Vilardi, Logan Brown, Luke Boka
Matthew MacDougall, Aaron Luchuk, Kirill Kozhevnikov
Igor Larionov, Luke Kutkevicius, Cole Purboo
Chris Playfair, Tyler Angle, William Sirman
Louis Latta

Austin McEneny, Conor Corcoran,
Nathan Staios, Tyler Nother
Lev Starikov, Thomas Stevenson
Hunter Carrick

Mikey DiPietro
Brock Baier

Last edited:

hockeylegend11

Sep 11, 2010
Spitfires

Re your roster,Zach Young though on the original training camp rosters,never showed up for camp,and forward Davis-Teigen-Katsumi was cut prior to Blue White game,he did not play in that game.

Last edited:

hockeylegend11

Sep 11, 2010
I know the Spitfire website has said that there remains 27 players from camp, however based on announced cuts I count only 26.
Goal- Dipietro,Baier,Patton
Defense-Corcoran, McEneny,Staios, Henault,Gauvin,Carrick, Stevenson,Starikov,Nother
Forwards-Larionov,Sirman,Mizzi,Luchuk,Boka, MacDougall,Angle, Purboo, D'amico,Frasca, Kitkevicius, Kozhevnikov, Playfair,Latta

Can't see who I am missing, possibly Davis-Teigen-Katsumi,who I saw yesterday on a cut list but not on today's lists,though he did not play in the Blue and White game.Nother and Dipietro also did not play last night.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad