Windsor Spitfires 2015 Off-Season Thread (part 2)

Status
Not open for further replies.

Sec108

Sep 5, 2011
IMHO The team has come to a fork in the road and this is the first step on the path in a new direction.

That is a true Punch also shows that Cypher is now in charge.They need a new path to fill those empty seats, thats for sure.

Bowler is a good hockey man.

RayzorIsDull

Nov 16, 2007
bp on hfboards
Slow news day for the most part. He's still with LaSalle he's probably just taking some responsibilities from the departing Boughner. If he was leaving LaSalle I could see this being bigger news otherwise zzzzzzzzzzzzz.

SpItFiReZ

Jan 4, 2004
Has brown played for Canada at an IIHF event? If not, he could potentially lean toward the U.S now.

OHLTG

Nov 18, 2008
behind lens, Ontario
Tough to lose them for a game, but shows that the talent is there.

Edit: SpitfireZ, Brown was cut from the Canadian U18 team (I believe). There was talk about him playing for USA as he's a dual.

hockeylegend11

Sep 11, 2010
Spits_Knights

Slow news day for the most part. He's still with LaSalle he's probably just taking some responsibilities from the departing Boughner. If he was leaving LaSalle I could see this being bigger news otherwise zzzzzzzzzzzzz.

Agreed a bit of a yawner.

hockeylegend11

Sep 11, 2010
Spits

Tough to lose them for a game, but shows that the talent is there.

Edit: SpitfireZ, Brown was cut from the Canadian U18 team (I believe). There was talk about him playing for USA as he's a dual.

Debrincat from Erie will be playing in that same game and Dylan Strome should be with Arizona for some of their exhibition games so Erie will out guys too.

punch1943

Apr 15, 2012
South Detroit
Agreed a bit of a yawner.

I'm always a bit of a conspiracy theorist and my take on the Bowler move is a little different.
I think this move is greasing the skids for the eventual sale of a majority of the team to Cypher. A bit of a yawner of course, for fans who were expecting one of the player moves that are necessary in the short term.
Cypher, in all likelihood, was looking for a little more input/info on the trends involving their investment. A more day to day, hands on approach and have put the next GM in position while doing so.
Not knowing the pecking order, but it would seem to me that in the absence of Boughner, Cypher would want someone in charge with a little more authority than the general manager whose investment in the team is minimal...

SpItFiReZ

Jan 4, 2004
I think this is the next step for when Rychel moves on personally. I think it will be a year of teaching and then Rychel goes to the NHL.

punch1943

Apr 15, 2012
South Detroit
Possible player moves

Curiosity killed the cat but I'm wondering how the loss of Gauvin and the possible attempt to acquire a veteran goalie will affect the defense set up. IMHO Guavin would have been the 6th, 7th or 8th D-man on the roster. His spot should be filled by Markovic or Coffey leaving Auger to develop in LaSalle.
Another thing I'm wondering about is whether WR is thinking of acquiring one of the 2 or 3 players who may end up defected in the next week or so.
The other question I have is in regard to is the O/A situation. Soberg has to be the one most at risk as he's both O/A and an Import. Murphy & Latour are locks as the first 2 O/A with Shea as the favorite for the 3rd spot...

hockeylegend11

Sep 11, 2010
Punch

Prior to his injury Gauvin would have been 8th or 9th on the depth chart
re the d, 7 and 8 imo belongs to Burns and Auger, though Coffey and or Markovic may have something to say about that after camp.
As for defected players situation I see Rychel having zero interest in participating, one because of lack of picks, plus no 1st rd in 16, and no 2nd in 17, plus I don't see the need to acquire those possibly being declared defected.
As for the final o/a spot you are correct Soberg is most vulnerable, it will depend on a couple of things,1- how the other Euro forward Krumpf plays, 2- how Brandon Shea performs.
He is bigger 6'2"-215 lbs, and with the Spits going with a larger team model, and depending what the Spits will do in goal, do they chase an o/a tender or not.
Some of these answers won't be known for a couple of weeks yet.

OHLTG

Nov 18, 2008
behind lens, Ontario
Defected players would also depend on the cost. If you can swing a deal for player for player/picks, then let's do it. If it's just player for several picks, walk away. Who might defect, too?

hockeylegend11

Sep 11, 2010
Spits

Defected players would also depend on the cost. If you can swing a deal for player for player/picks, then let's do it. If it's just player for several picks, walk away. Who might defect, too?

Those deals are for picks only, supposedly and Windsor does not have them.
McLeod from Flint,Meireles from Kitchener and Tortora from Barrie are the potential defectees.
Not interested in any of them,the last one is with the US program, Meireles is NCAA possible, while McLeod wishes to play with brother in Missy.

hockeylegend11

Sep 11, 2010
Spits

Not interested in those defects, but, I'm intrigued if a three-way can be struck with Mississauga for Day and/or Martin.

Interested in aquiring Martin, not Day, once I found about his lack of conditioning and excessive weight gain plus his diet, interest in this player is zero.

OHLTG

Nov 18, 2008
behind lens, Ontario
Just in case some are interested: According to AM 800's website, Ben Johnson will find out his future on October 30. Closing statements were made today.

RayzorIsDull

Nov 16, 2007
bp on hfboards
Interested in aquiring Martin, not Day, once I found about his lack of conditioning and excessive weight gain plus his diet, interest in this player is zero.

Everybody can have their opinion the weight gain is a small concern but it shouldn't deter a team from trading for him. For instance Luke Kirwan came in last year in poor shape but not a peep. Day is portrayed as a guy in poor shape but that's the narrative. What isn't being said is guys can get into good shape in 3-4 weeks. He still has 3 years of eligibility in the OHL. Could be a great opportunity to buy low.

Phil Kessel gets slagged for being in poor shape yet still is productive, gets traded and is in better shape.

Physical fitness is important to me but Sean Day's playing shape doesn't move the needle for me especially if the Spits stuck with Kirwan last year.

hockeylegend11

Sep 11, 2010
Day is about to enter his draft year and this occurs, with new coaching regime don't want to be saddled with potential problem, Kirwan btw has straightened out,10% body fat, weighs 235 lbs, when one can't recognize the importance in a draft yr, not interested

hockeylegend11

Sep 11, 2010
Rayzor

The difference between Day and Kirwan is , Kirwan gets it in his draft yr,Day doesn't and that moves the needle for me.
You are just being stubborn.

OHLTG

Nov 18, 2008
behind lens, Ontario
That's when price comes into play. If he's going to cost on-the-dollar, nope. He needs to be in acceptable shape, given it's his draft year. If we can get him at a discount due to his size, that's different. I'm sure the team can whip him into shape pretty quick.

RayzorIsDull

Nov 16, 2007
bp on hfboards
Day is about to enter his draft year and this occurs, with new coaching regime don't want to be saddled with potential problem, Kirwan btw has straightened out,10% body fat, weighs 235 lbs, when one can't recognize the importance in a draft yr, not interested

I guess we can all judge by their performance during the year and what NHL GM's think come draft time. It isn't about being stubborn either. Do you think Kirwan came into camp last year in poor shape because he knew he had an extra year to get in shape?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad