Windsor Spitfires 2015 Off-Season Thread (part 2)

Status
Not open for further replies.

punch1943

Apr 15, 2012
South Detroit
Rating the acquisitions to this point

So far I have to rate the signings as good. The only problem I have is that Purboo has yet to be signed.
Someone will correct me if I'm wrong but this may just be because the Spits may have reached the 4 sixteen year olds limit....
The potential signings of Keller and Fischer would bring my rating up to excellent but the longer they remain unsigned the less likely it will happen.
I'm guessing the trade window is closed now until training camp so it seems Purboo and/or Coffey will not be signed until then as well....

RayzorIsDull

Nov 16, 2007
bp on hfboards
So far I have to rate the signings as good. The only problem I have is that Purboo has yet to be signed.
Someone will correct me if I'm wrong but this may just be because the Spits may have reached the 4 sixteen year olds limit....
The potential signings of Keller and Fischer would bring my rating up to excellent but the longer they remain unsigned the less likely it will happen.
I'm guessing the trade window is closed now until training camp so it seems Purboo and/or Coffey will not be signed until then as well....

With Fischer you will know more soon these incoming freshman usually get on campus early to take a course or two and acclimate themselves to the university lifestyle.

Duke Guy

Sep 10, 2013
punch1943: The Spits have indeed signed 4 of their 16 year olds. However, they can sign more than 4 but only a maximum of 4 can play in a single game as I understand it.

Duke Guy

Sep 10, 2013
Another former Spit is off to Oshawa. Former NHL 1st rounder Greg Nemisz is now an assistant coach with the Gens joining Jones and Wellwood. Greg was an unofficial coach when his AHL season ended as he helped out the Gens quietly during their playoff run.

GBFP

Sep 24, 2009
^Nemo hanging 'em up already is sorta depressing though. Welly had that horrific injury that ended his career.

Reading a little more, it seems Nemo's knee was pretty much shot, and having three major injuries in three years probably made his decision for him.

big papa

Apr 21, 2012
Does anyone have any thoughts on what the line up will look like going into opening night? I would have to think at one point this season or maybe even as our 1st PP unit that McCool-L.Brown-Kirwan would play together

big papa

Apr 21, 2012
At Right Wing we have Soberg returning. At Left Wing we have GiGiacinto, Verity, Kirwan & McCool returning. At Center we have L.Brown , Stefano & Luchuck returning
At Defence we have Stanley, Chatfield, Sandvido, Burns, Murray, G.Brown & Murphy returning. & in Goal we have Johnston retuning.

You add in Povo and Fotinos in as Invites same as Soberg as we have Sergachev and Kromp both comming to camp so competition will be good for both OA and Import as Latour was added via tread with Oshawa. Hopfully get something small for some one.

For forwards you can add Vilardi C, Boka RW, Latour LW and Carter RW on Defence Auger & Sergachev and in Goal DiPietro as recent signings and trade as well as Gauvin D, Coffey D Manchurke LW (Invite), Keller C (Maybe), Fischer C/RW (Maybe) Billing G (Invitte/Maybe). Theres still alot more that can happen before and at camp via singins and trades. With our first Exibition game being Staurday the 5th hear against Oshawa then another Sunday the 6th in Flint it will some what of an idea how the roster will look and how improve/who stands out.

With 5 Exibition games before the real deal it will be a as 2 sets will be back-2-back (Oshawa-Flint, Niagara-Sarnia) then the last game In Sarnia 2 days after the 2nds b2b. Will be kinda like a prep for the season as most times you play 3 in 3.5 sometimes 3 in 3 or 3 in 2.5 can even play 4 in 5 days or 4 in 4.5. Will be nice ti see how the kids react and show what they got and also see who improved.

Last edited:

RayzorIsDull

Nov 16, 2007
bp on hfboards
At Right Wing we have Soberg returning. At Left Wing we have GiGiacinto, Verity, Kirwan & McCool returning. At Center we have L.Brown , Stefano & Luchuck returning
At Defence we have Stanley, Chatfield, Sandvido, Burns, Murray, G.Brown & Murphy returning. & in Goal we have Johnston retuning.

You add in Povo and Fotinos in as Invites same as Soberg as we have Sergachev and Kromp both comming to camp so competition will be good for both OA and Import as Latour was added via tread with Oshawa. Hopfully get something small for some one.

For forwards you can add Vilardi C, Boka RW, Latour LW and Carter RW on Defence Auger & Sergachev and in Goal DiPietro as recent signings and trade as well as Gauvin D, Coffey D Manchurke LW (Invite), Keller C (Maybe), Fischer C/RW (Maybe) Billing G (Invitte/Maybe). Theres still alot more that can happen before and at camp via singins and trades. With our first Exibition game being Staurday the 5th hear against Oshawa then another Sunday the 6th in Flint it will some what of an idea how the roster will look and how improve/who stands out.

With 5 Exibition games before the real deal it will be a as 2 sets will be back-2-back (Oshawa-Flint, Niagara-Sarnia) then the last game In Sarnia 2 days after the 2nds b2b. Will be kinda like a prep for the season as most times you play 3 in 3.5 sometimes 3 in 3 or 3 in 2.5 can even play 4 in 5 days or 4 in 4.5. Will be nice ti see how the kids react and show what they got and also see who improved.

There's obviously time before camp but things will need to happen soon to get some big catches in here. I have a hard time believing guys like Boka, and Auger will be playing regular roles here in Windsor. Players will be given an opportunity under a new coach but on the other hand with no 1st rounder in 2016. Not sure you can expect a team to have a lot of success with that many 16 year olds around this is not including Vilardi and DiPietro as well. Hopefully the players come to camp in excellent condition. At the start of every year you will never hear a coach or gm say the team isn't in good shape but this is one of those things you can tell later in the year. A portion of the guys last year were not in good shape at all and after game 45 or so you could tell. In other words don't treat camp as the time to get in shape.

punch1943

Apr 15, 2012
South Detroit
Certainly have to agree with your post. If we don't get a couple of the big boys to come we will be in a fight again to make the playoffs with no 1st round pick as a consolation prize. While some of the draft picks appear promising, the reality is, the 1st year players very rarely score 15 goals or are game changers. The new Import from Russia may be the exception.

hockeylegend11

Sep 11, 2010
I think at the end of the day, there won't be a lot of separation between most teams in the conference, with the exception of a couple of teams .
I also feel this team will be a lot like Sarnia last yr, pretty competetive with the ability to surprise.
Sarnia one would think is a team primed to take a run this coming season, though the uncertainty of Zacha, the need for a bonifide goalie, and the coaching chances certainly raises concerns.
Far too early to be concerned.
Not having a 1st rd pick in 16 hurts regardless of where Windsor finishes no doubt.

hockeylegend11

Sep 11, 2010
Don't be surprised Stargachev goes in the top 10 in the NHL draft he is that good, potential galore, Brown will go in top 10 too imo
This will be an interesting season from many angles.

hockeylegend11

Sep 11, 2010
Rayzor

My guess is that Auger is destined for LaSalle, while I am sure Boka will be here, seeing that as a 16 yr old American, he can't be sent to B as per USA-Hockey Canada agreement.

Petes

Jun 23, 2014
Don't be surprised Stargachev goes in the top 10 in the NHL draft he is that good, potential galore, Brown will go in top 10 too imo
This will be an interesting season from many angles.

Wouldn't jump to conclusions on that until you've watched him play in games, live. (Russian)

RayzorIsDull

Nov 16, 2007
bp on hfboards
I think at the end of the day, there won't be a lot of separation between most teams in the conference, with the exception of a couple of teams .
I also feel this team will be a lot like Sarnia last yr, pretty competetive with the ability to surprise.
Sarnia one would think is a team primed to take a run this coming season, though the uncertainty of Zacha, the need for a bonifide goalie, and the coaching chances certainly raises concerns.
Far too early to be concerned.
Not having a 1st rd pick in 16 hurts regardless of where Windsor finishes no doubt.

I don't think anybody is concerned. I would say there won't be a lot of separation either but that is usually the case. This year 4 points separated 7th and 8th, 5 points separated 5th and 6th, and 4 points separated 3rd and 4th. In 13/14 8 points separated 6th, 7th and 8th.

There's no doubt a lot of this is created by the western conference having 6 new coaches. This is where it will get interesting because quick starts are imperative to avoid being behind the 8 ball. If we look at those teams and talent returning, coming in, prior production returning. I am not sure Windsor is at the top of any of those lists certainly higher in one area than another.

I am not a big believer in Boka being on the team I saw Verity play at times he was lost, at times he was ok but they weren't going to count on him much but he didn't get much ice either. You said the loss of the 1st rounder hurts do you really want to put Boka out there for 60+ games along with Vilardi for 60+, Carter 60+, Sergachev 60+, Verity 60+ and have Johnston/DiPietro be the goaltending tandem. We all understand there is some youth but there becomes a time where the organization can't afford to be bad and lose out on a valuable 1st round pick after having the #2 pick overall in 2015.

punch1943

Apr 15, 2012
South Detroit
Rayzor

My guess is that Auger is destined for LaSalle, while I am sure Boka will be here, seeing that as a 16 yr old American, he can't be sent to B as per USA-Hockey Canada agreement.

Agree Boka will be here and as he is a physical player he'll get his share of ice time with no pressure to be a scorer. If Auger ends up with the Spits it just means we are in for a long season. I say this only because of his lack of experience.

The problem I'm seeing is that it appears,at least to me, that we have an abundance of players that won't get us much in return if/when we finally get around to moving them. I do see the possibility of some leaving via the waiver route.

As July quickly slips away without at least a hint of the unsigned players leaning our way it looks as if WR will need to be very busy on the trade front at training camp.That is if he intends to field a competitive team and if he does I'd be very surprised if he chooses to go with Johnston/Diepitro in net.

hockeylegend11

Sep 11, 2010
Rayzor

My guess is the goaltending situation will be worked out once the season starts, as for ice time, don't care how old a player is as long as he earns it.
Don't anticipate finishing in the bottom 2-4 again, we what happened when that happened the last time, when Hall came to Windsor at #2, improvement was rapid, won't shock me at all, it big improvements occurred over the next 2 yrs.

hockeylegend11

Sep 11, 2010
Here is my projected lineup as of today, with current players and others I expect to be here from what I can gather

Forwards
Stefano-Digi-Fischer
Brown-McCool-Latour
Vilardi-Kirwan-Vertiy
Luchuk-Carter-Purboo
Boka-Ross-Stahlhuth

Def
Stargechev-Sanvido
Murphy-Murray
Stanley-Chatfield
Burns-Gauvin
Brown-Auger

Goal
Johnston-Diepetro

Soberg,and Brandon Shea will be in
mix for the last o/a spot, though Soberg could lose his Euro spot to Krompf, time will tell on this one
As well I expect a move for a vet goalie, where a dman such as Brown or Burns, or even Coffey will be used as trade bait.
At this time subject to change it appears Keller won't be here this season, though it would not surprise me he does the same as Tkachuk in London, coming here after his 2nd yr with the US program.
Either way expecting an ultra competitive camp once September arrives

RayzorIsDull

Nov 16, 2007
bp on hfboards
Rayzor

My guess is the goaltending situation will be worked out once the season starts, as for ice time, don't care how old a player is as long as he earns it.
Don't anticipate finishing in the bottom 2-4 again, we what happened when that happened the last time, when Hall came to Windsor at #2, improvement was rapid, won't shock me at all, it big improvements occurred over the next 2 yrs.

Going by what teams are returning and not what NHL teams will do which is the only way to look at things as of this time. The issue I see is that there are probably a couple teams clearly above the pack in London/Soo. I look at Saginaw as a team that is probably ahead of Windsor, they return more goals, better production on D, and better goaltending. Erie is probably a wildcard with Strome, DeBrincat, Dermott, Betz, Raddysh x2 that's enough to win games in junior hockey.

At the end of the day if you're looking at the top or bottom of the conference is there's a smaller chance of them being at the top of the conference. They will probably be in the middle of the conference. If we are talking about that they could slide to the bottom. It would only take a little inconsistent goaltending and the D not elevating their game. It would take everything to go right for them to be near the top. The big thing Punch said and I believe is that the trades aren't likely to bring back lots of talent because these guys don't have a lot of value. It's not like Windsor has the assets to go out and deal for a Sean Day. Fotinos and Povorozniouk likely gets you conditional picks or middle round picks.

I don't get into this rapid improvement in Sept 2014 Boughner said the team this year reminded him of Hall's 1st year. Well that wasn't even close to fruition. I imagine Thompson won't say anything like this and stay out of the prediction business.

hockeylegend11

Sep 11, 2010
Rayzor

Don't see how u say Saginaw has more production from the D coming back,Windsor has 130 points from the 7 returning d, while Saggy has 68, close to less then half, and that's not including Stargechev who will outpoint any new player on either side and outperform any new d on either side, big difference
I don't see Saginaw any better then Windsor.
As for the Hounds with only 4 returning d from last yr, losing Nurse,deAngelo, Boland and Ganley, their d is hardly scary, I will take Windsor's 8 including the new Russian over those 4
Granted their scoring and decent goaltending will carry them but not their d,London at this time is similar to the Sault, scoring and 1 decent goalie, still young on d.
Erie decent up front, ok in goal, weaker on d losing 3 o/a guys
Don't see any real power house teams, potentially a few good ones, and a couple that may surprise.

hockeylegend11

Sep 11, 2010
Rayzor

I said before, have not changed my mind, when things are done after this coming season, Windsor will be like Sarnia from last yr or better and ready to contend the following season, though I admit if Sarnia does not get Zacha back, that will be problematic, that being said finishing in the 5 or 6 spot with little separation is good for me, its 16/17 I am more interested in.

RayzorIsDull

Nov 16, 2007
bp on hfboards
Rayzor

Don't see how u say Saginaw has more production from the D coming back,Windsor has 130 points from the 7 returning d, while Saggy has 68, close to less then half, and that's not including Stargechev who will outpoint any new player on either side and outperform any new d on either side, big difference
I don't see Saginaw any better then Windsor.
As for the Hounds with only 4 returning d from last yr, losing Nurse,deAngelo, Boland and Ganley, their d is hardly scary, I will take Windsor's 8 including the new Russian over those 4
Granted their scoring and decent goaltending will carry them but not their d,London at this time is similar to the Sault, scoring and 1 decent goalie, still young on d.
Erie decent up front, ok in goal, weaker on d losing 3 o/a guys
Don't see any real power house teams, potentially a few good ones, and a couple that may surprise.

Saginaw has a +defender returning in DiTomaso, Ringuette a veteran only a -7, Crawford a rookie only a -13, acquired Petschenig who was very good with Oshawa, Middleton was solid as a 16 year old. All of those guys would have had the highest +- on Windsor not named Liam Murray.

I am not including the Russian and stay away from accolades. In April of 2014 Rychel said they got a 2016 1st round NHL pick in Logan Stanley. Right now I just hope he can crack 15-20 minutes a game.

hockeylegend11

Sep 11, 2010
Ringuette is an o/a from last year so he can't be counted, and you said Saginaw brings back more offense from the d, and the numbers are not even close offense wise.
As for the Russian, he is a near can't miss prospect, and people not employed by Windsor say he has above skills in all areas, mark my words this time next year you will have to admit their was reason for optimism for this player.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad