Post-Game Talk: Win!!!

ArGarBarGar

What do we want!? Unfair!
Sep 8, 2008
We didn't dominate tonight by any means. We were frequently trapped in our zone for long periods of time. We buried our chances and they didn't. The game could have gone either way.

Detroit was clearly the better team tonight. Let up off the gas when they were up by four and Ottawa got a couple extras. It happens all the time to good and bad teams.

Actual Thought*

I miised the game because I am out of town. Hope this is something to build on. In any case it's 2 points and we need em!

odin1981

There can be only 1!
Mar 8, 2013
Canton Mi
Nice game to see tonight. Last night not so much. Very good 55 mins of effort. Really liked how they all gave a **** tonight. Amazing how good Big Rig looks when he is playing where he belongs on the second pairing. Glad the boys got the confidence going tonight and scored some. That should serve as a shot in the arm confidence wise. Tampa on Tuesday go wings!

HomersWorld

Mar 8, 2012
How was the positioning tonight defensively? I'm starting to make Detroit my East team, but was watching the Blues.

It felt like they were boxing out much better for most of the game. A couple bonehead giveaways at the end made the score look closer than it was.

The Zermanator

In Yzerman We Trust
Jan 21, 2013
Kronwall-Green
DeKeyser-Ericsson
Smith-Marchenko
Kindl

Might be for the best when Green returns. Liked what I say of the DK-Big Rig pair. Although I'd prefer to waive Kindl to call up Ouellet and put him in Smith's spot with Smith as the #7.

For anyone who would object to two rookies on a pairing I would say that Smith and Kindl still regularly make rookie mistakes. Better they be made by actual rookies who may still improve.:laugh:

Team still needs another legit top pair d before they can take the next step though.

odin1981

There can be only 1!
Mar 8, 2013
Canton Mi
Kronwall-Green
DeKeyser-Ericsson
Smith-Marchenko
Kindl

Might be for the best when Green returns. Liked what I say of the DK-Big Rig pair. Although I'd prefer to waive Kindl to call up Ouellet and put him in Smith's spot with Smith as the #7.

For anyone who would object to two rookies on a pairing I would say that Smith and Kindl still regularly make rookie mistakes. Better they be made by actual rookies who may still improve.:laugh:

Team still needs another legit top pair d before they can take the next step though.

I don't think Marchenko is solid enough or safe enough to make up for Smith. I like him don't get me wrong but hell even DDK couldn't make SMith not stick out like a sore thumb. Though I have never been a fan of him and I admit as much. I really wanted health aside one of these three rotating with KFQ to get there feet wet and see what we have XO, Jensen, and Chenko.

However that being said I accept and understand we have Kenny as are GM and I know what I say is utter nonsense in his eyes in utilizing assets and seeing young players get stretches of games to identify what they need to work on to be able to fit on the roster next year and then send them back down and get a look at a different one. Then you give them some marinating in the minors with lists of what they need to work on for continued progress at the NHL level and call them back up once the kid rotation is finished. Say it was a 10 game stretch then a 20 game in the minors to work on things.

SoupGuru

May 12, 2007
Spokane
Sorry, Smith looked pretty bad. Not as bad as Kindl or Marchenko, but pretty bad.

The compete level went up a notch or two for this game.

It's amazing what sort of defensive issues you can compensate for by playing in the other end of the rink like we did tonight.

The Zermanator

In Yzerman We Trust
Jan 21, 2013
I don't think Marchenko is solid enough or safe enough to make up for Smith. I like him don't get me wrong but hell even DDK couldn't make SMith not stick out like a sore thumb. Though I have never been a fan of him and I admit as much. I really wanted health aside one of these three rotating with KFQ to get there feet wet and see what we have XO, Jensen, and Chenko.

However that being said I accept and understand we have Kenny as are GM and I know what I say is utter nonsense in his eyes in utilizing assets and seeing young players get stretches of games to identify what they need to work on to be able to fit on the roster next year and then send them back down and get a look at a different one. Then you give them some marinating in the minors with lists of what they need to work on for continued progress at the NHL level and call them back up once the kid rotation is finished. Say it was a 10 game stretch then a 20 game in the minors to work on things.

Whoops, totally forgot about Quincey!:laugh: In that case I'd go with:

Kronwall-Green
DeKeyser-Ericsson
Quincey-Marchenko
Smith

I'd still want Kindl waived so Marchenko/Ouellet/Jensen can fight over the #6 spot. And I agree with your 2nd paragraph very much.

Last edited:

SoupGuru

May 12, 2007
Spokane
And what's up with Kronwall? He hasn't looked good for quite a while. And now he's a bit of a turnover machine too.

SpookyTsuki

Dec 3, 2014
Smith with Kronner = 100x better then Kronner with Ericsson. It's just the facts man.

SpookyTsuki

Dec 3, 2014
And what's up with Kronwall? He hasn't looked good for quite a while. And now he's a bit of a turnover machine too.

Probably just a slow start. Most vets usually dont turn it on until things in the league settle down and go to the way things should be.

Also I think people should look at Tampas record ;)

gretskidoo

Nov 26, 2011
And we have the worst shot differential in the league! Only the Flyers have given up more shots than us! Yikes!!

Literally the only reason we didn't have more shots is because they, understandably, took it easy when it was 5-1.

As if shots actually matter more than quality chances, of which we had many, many more.

14ari13

Oct 19, 2006
Norway
I like your post so I am going to respond to it. It was a good bounce back game then the last 5 minutes happened. All the momentum and confidence they started turning in their favor might be lost by next game.

The Wings need something to build on, they need a confidence boost. This game was something to build on. I feel like the last 5 minutes threw everything away.

The passing and reads were the best I've seen from them this season. Damn I hope they can build on this game. Their confidence is beyond shot right now

Detroit was clearly the better team tonight. Let up off the gas when they were up by four and Ottawa got a couple extras. It happens all the time to good and bad teams.

+1

A good win considering the injuries.

Redwingsfan

Global Moderator
Jul 15, 2006
A nice step in the right direction. Overall, this was one of their best games so far. I don't really care about the 2 late goals. Its easy to take your foot off the gas a little when the game is already won.

And for all the crap I give Ericsson, He was really solid last night. More of that and I'll have no complains.

3 stars is tough. A lot of guys played well.

Zetterberg
Nyquist
Mrazek

Henkka

Jan 31, 2004
Tampere, Finland
wow you have to go back to 1987-88 season to see the Red Wings last in shots. Every year since then we were leading or in the top 5 for shots.

Shots on goal won't mean a big deal nowadays. It a very misleading stat, even though some advanced stats analyzes have found some correlation between winning and losing. More and more, when overall goaltending has developed to phenomenal level, shots on goal really won't matter like they did matter on earlier days, like a decade ago. You have to look on high-percentage shots on goal. And also shots wide from high-percentage area.

Like a shot from blue-line without a screener is very very weak scoring chance vs. shot from near sector without a screen. But you get marked a shot on sog totals. Good boy. :) If you shoot on the post, that's not a shot on goal, but had a great possibility to go in. How crazy is that? :laugh: Or if you have a breakaway and shoot 1 inch wide/over the crossbar, you don't get a shot on goal even though it was a great scoring chance.

Some teams just shoot the puck for a rebound, or shoot from neutral zone to get offensive zone faceoff. Good possession plays, but only possession plays. Those shots on goal are not even meant to be goal-scoring plays. There's still a long way for goal-scoring to have real high-percentage shots on goal.

Red Wings play is based on high-percentage shot almost always with a screen there to create higher shooting percentages. It was already that with Babcock, but we also had that "misleeading" possession shooting more than we have now under Blashill.

As for now, Toronto is shooting the puck a lot, and how good are they doing? They don't have any skill for high-percentage shots there currently, but the Babcock's system will collect a lot of shots on goal for them. Still, there's a long way for winning at Toronto.

In my scoring attempts, a shot that goes wide is as good scoring attempt as a shot on goal, if the wide shot is not like 2 feet wide. If it was a great attempt from near sector, it has a high possibilty to go in even though on that time the shooter was inlucky and shot wide. But on long run, those shots will go better in that some bad angle shots or those "just for possession" shots.

Why is a shot wide a good thing? Because, our best goalscorers in the game like Stamkos and Ovechkin have also most shots wide, but that doesn't make them bad goalscorers. Zetterberg and Dastyuk have historically shot more wide than Mikael Samuelsson did. Great goalscorers hunt for top corners because they are only areas goalies noawadays have open so the goals mostly come from there. Hunting for top corners makes you shoot wide a lot, and that's not shown on shots on goal statistics.

So if you want to look some shooting data for an individual, go after Fenwick. That's best currently imo. I don't like Corsi, because getting an open shooting lane for a high-percentage shot is a skill more than getting shot on goal is.

Fugu

RIP Barb
Nov 26, 2004
϶(°o°)ϵ
I'm actually back in Michigan visiting my daughter at school, so we decided to go to the game on Friday. Why couldn't they have done this on Friday night? :rant:

Everyone looked better. Except Kindl. :laugh:

Yemack

Oct 30, 2007
our D to D to F pass looked better, smarter. whether it be coaching or composure, they worked. good job. Ericsson showing some mean streak = extra awesome

PP = great

still has a long way to go to play well and really play like a contending team especially during transition and some other areas. Kindl needs to do something quick to get his confidence up and increase his awareness because if I'm the coach of the team whos playing Wings next, I will be looking to exploit the weakest link.

Wings need to be on their tows and look to improve every game here on out. We really need to string couple of wins together and get up in standing.

Henkka

Jan 31, 2004
Tampere, Finland
I'm actually back in Michigan visiting my daughter at school, so we decided to go to the game on Friday. Why couldn't they have done this on Friday night? :rant:

Everyone looked better. Except Kindl. :laugh:

It just was an example of our organization. After a bad game, they did study and learn how to play against Ottawa, and did find a way. The intelligence is still there even if 25 million of our top skill is injured. Good work Blashill and go on. Keep Kronner and Ericsson (and Quincey-smith) separated forever and you will ride on the promised land. :nod:

sarcastro

Jul 28, 2005
How much more rope do we figure Kindl has? When can we put him out of our misery?

BinCookin

Feb 15, 2012
London, ON
2 years @ 2.4 mil a season worth of rope.

I see everyone remembers Goal #2 and that it was 100% kindl's fault.

Surprise surprise he was our "worst" D man this game.

Ill have to post my scores later, because I dont have them on me. But It is very possible that Smith actually had a worse game than Kindl. (Kindl still had a bad one)

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad