GBU Win Pretty? Win Ugly. It's a Win (OT 3-2 over TB) 10/17/23

Zman5778

Oct 4, 2005
Cressona/Reading, PA
I’m sorry but we still need a goalie. That game tying goal was horribly played by Levi. It’s not Levi’s fault, he should not be in this situation, but a team with real aspirations needs a goalie that can lock it down, and that was the opposite of it.

Levi had his best period of the year in the 3rd. Yes, he let a rebound out that he probably wants back. He'll learn from it.

I'm still not a huge fan of throwing him into the fire.......but this is our lot. He'll learn. Hopefully quickly.

Mattilaus

Sep 12, 2014
Beyond the Wall
If I'm reading this right, looks like Clifton had a helluva game fancy-stat wise.
I noticed at one point in the night there was a shot against and Levi took a couple seconds to find the rebound. Point was right in front of the net and Clifton had him completely tied up. Was refreshing to see as the last couple years we would have just let Point take 2-3 whacks at the rebound.

ValJamesDuex

Nov 4, 2021
I wouldn't be surprised if that is part of Buffalo riding with three for now - why help a division rival when you don't have to?
how about if it's a 4th rounder or better ? agreed though better out west when someone needs one/

If I'm reading this right, looks like Clifton had a helluva game fancy-stat wise.
I wonder if Savoie goes in for Krebs when he 's healthy ?

Reactions: BuffaloMango

Zman5778

Oct 4, 2005
Cressona/Reading, PA
I wonder if Savoie goes in for Krebs when he 's healthy ?

I think they'd sooner take Jost out. Jost is a fine 13th forward, but he's the very absolute definition of "fine at everything, above average at nothing".

Krebs, for his warts, is starting to really impress me defensively, and he won 8 of his 12 draws tonight.

Matt Ress

Don't sleep on me
Aug 5, 2014
Appalachia
I think they'd sooner take Jost out. Jost is a fine 13th forward, but he's the very absolute definition of "fine at everything, above average at nothing".

Krebs, for his warts, is starting to really impress me defensively, and he won 8 of his 12 draws tonight.
Gotta think Savoie's first shot is on the Cozens line. Krebs is fine as 4C. There's not many other guys suited for the role anyway.

SharkInABoloTie

Sponsor
Mar 8, 2016
The Heart of Darkness
Had to leave for my LTP session after the first, but they had it on as I was getting dressed and I got to see tampa's first goal. In my opinion, Joker should have just dumped the puck along the wall behind the net. Instead he holds onto it to force a board battle... we're not a good team along the boards. Thought that bad decision directly led to the goal against.

Otherwise, good to see they won.

Does Comrie get the start against Calgary?

Reactions: HOOats

TheMistyStranger

ミスト
May 21, 2005

Matches the eye test. I've really liked what Clifton and EJ have brought to the back end. There's a consistent threat of physicality from the blueliner now, regardless of the pairings. Well, unless it's Power and Joker.

Joker I thought had a good game. Some savvy reads in the O-zone.

Archie Lee

Apr 13, 2018
So, I only saw the 3rd:

G:

Levi. Saw the puck well, good rebound control.

2 points

B:

The complete defensive shell desperately trying to hold onto the 2-1 lead. The tampa goal really felt inevitable. I think I counted two ES scoring changes, and both of those were on a breakaway (Okposo and Skinner).

U:

The late goal against.
Disagree on the “defensive shell” comment. The Sabres played a solid defensive third. That Tampa scored with 7 seconds left had nothing to do with how the Sabres played the prior 19:53. They are going to need to win some close games.
just say Rochester or San Jose. I would take a late pick at this point with no retention or roll the dice on waiving him when Quinn is back.
I think the Sabres would have to give up a pick to move Olofsson with 50% retention. If there was a market for him, he would have been moved by now.

Push Dr Tracksuit

Gerstmann 3:16
Jun 9, 2012
I’m sorry but we still need a goalie. That game tying goal was horribly played by Levi. It’s not Levi’s fault, he should not be in this situation, but a team with real aspirations needs a goalie that can lock it down, and that was the opposite of it.
I guess we are ignoring the dozen or so saves he made from 15ft in front against unchallenged shooters to keep the narrative alive.

alehman42

Sponsor
Apr 13, 2015
I guess we are ignoring the dozen or so saves he made from 15ft in front against unchallenged shooters to keep the narrative alive.
Yeah, Levi looked very good last spring, and so far this season he was ok in game 1, good but screwed by puck luck in game 2, and good tonight.

Given the state of goaltending around the league, I'm comfortable saying he's easily one of the top 20 goalies in hockey. At 21 years old, playing for the league minimum.

I mean...would anyone on here be in favor of claiming the Korpisalo contract if they had the chance? 😬

Given that guys like Andersen, Hellebuyck, et al weren't interested in relocating...running with Levi is high-risk/high-reward, but it also seems to have been Adams' best option. There will be bumps along the way, but the trend will be upward.

toddkaz

Nov 25, 2022
G
Mitts - just wow with the puck making play after play reminds me of Connolly a bit
Greenway - thought he had a solid game
Levi - College goalies need a few years in the AHL? Nah
Dalhin - Best game so far, think he went mistake free

B
Krebs - Starting to get the feeling he doesn't fit in

U
Goals scored on Levi he deserved better
prevent defense in the 3rd. Hate it

Reactions: BuffaloMango

lecherous

Apr 11, 2002
Rochester, NY
www.voteforrory.com
G -
Casey - He had an awful game 1 and has completely done a 180 since
Skinner - Principals office was open for that goal, he was just constantly buzzing 6-8 feet from the net
4th line - Can't ask for a better shift from your 4th line
Levi - So much composure and maturity, how did this guy fall to the 7th?
Dahlin & Power looking like #1 OVs
Effort was there from everyone the whole game, really no lulls in the energy

Good & Bad - Girgs taking and brushing off an absolute beating for Dahlin. A few big nasty punches but zero momentum out of that for TB which was nice.

B -
Krebs - Stop making me think of Tyler Ennis. If he's gotta go when Quinn comes back it'll be fine
We looked bad in the preseason w/ their goalie pulled and didn't look any better tonight

U -
Cernak - I don't even rememember why I hate this guy but I have since he was on the Crunch
Ryan Callahan - Nothing worse than a Rochester kid who thinks he's Don Cherry (see userpic)

Uglier than Ugly -
ESPN's commercials and ads - Taco Bell Lineups, Jager Shot of the Game... I'm just so done w/ this crap

Reactions: HOOats

Dubi Doo

Aug 27, 2008
Dahlin, Levi, and Mitts were the three stars of that game. Everyone on the Cozens line appeared to struggle. Thompson's line was struggling a bit until about halfway through the 3rd period, then they flipped a switch. Jost's line also played well.

Defensively, I already mentioned Dahlin, but he was a master in his own zone tonight. Power-Joker were pretty damn good. I thought Clifton struggled a bit early, but stepped up (along with the rest of the D) when Sammy went down. I've like EJ so far this season. He's limited, but he plays with a physical edge and makes some surprisingly solid passes to transition out of the D zone.

Overall, solid game. The Sabres were the better team for about 2/3 of that game. Tampa took over for most of the third, though the Sabres did start to generate chances about halfway through the third. Solid game outside the late goal.

Reactions: debaser66 and Dex

Dubi Doo

Aug 27, 2008
The Krebs comment - he won a couple late draws and had hustle plays defensively to disrupt and lead to zone clears. Offensively that trio had a rough go, for sure, but I'm not laying that just on him as a misfit toy to the other two as a seamless tandem. All of them struggled.
Did they flip him to center eventually? I thought that line struggled quite a bit, but Cozens and Peterka weren't helping things. Cozens especially looks off. I agree with what others mentioned- I think Krebs would be more effective as the center there while Cozens plays wing. Cozens just seems a step behind. Krebs, while not being perfect, is usually happy to get his nose dirty and battle.

So, I only saw the 3rd:

G:

Levi. Saw the puck well, good rebound control.

2 points

B:

The complete defensive shell desperately trying to hold onto the 2-1 lead. The tampa goal really felt inevitable. I think I counted two ES scoring changes, and both of those were on a breakaway (Okposo and Skinner).

U:

The late goal against.
They shelled up, and TB had control of the third, but I'm not sure TB had more than a couple scoring chances themselves in the third. I would've liked to see a few more sustained offensive zone shifts. They seemed to get better as the third period went on.

TageGod

Aug 31, 2022
G-Team D. They completely locked Tampa down. It took a lucky bounce and a scramble drill to get into overtime. Sabre's win a game playing like this 80% of the time.

B-Ref's, getting stuffed by future Vezina winner Jonas.

U-Tampa

Reactions: Dirty Dog

Ad

Upcoming events

• Metz vs Lille
    Metz vs Lille
    Wagers: 3
    Staked: $354.00
    Event closes
    • Updated:
  • Cádiz vs Mallorca
    Cádiz vs Mallorca