Post-Game Talk: win 7:08

Status
Not open for further replies.

Devil Dancer

Jan 21, 2006
Still worried about Backstrom and Ovechkin's even strength chemistry come playoff time. Hopefully if they aren't working Trotz makes a quick change rather than forcing something that hasn't been working.

Agreed. If the offense is cold through the first game of a series I'd like to see 8-90-77 to try to capture that even strength offensive spark we saw the last few games. If they go with that line in game 2, a home game, they can keep it away from the opposition's big offensive guns.

Midnight Judges

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Feb 10, 2010
Agreed. If the offense is cold through the first game of a series I'd like to see 8-90-77 to try to capture that even strength offensive spark we saw the last few games. If they go with that line in game 2, a home game, they can keep it away from the opposition's big offensive guns.

So then Backstrom to the 3rd line? -That would be a pretty good shutdown line.

Midnight Judges

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Feb 10, 2010
If there was ever a time to turn on the switch and stomp someone prior to the playoffs....this is the time.

Doesn't make sense to me. Why would the Caps expend all sorts of energy on a meaningless game? Hits often go tit for tat in the NHL. While the soft and whiny Pens would be fools to try and engage the larger and more physical Caps this way, why would the Caps do this when they have nothing to play for?

Trotz is smarter than that. The focus is on the bigger prize. The Caps have achieved every regular team-based season goal already. I bet the Caps play a defensively responsible vanilla game. It won't be a snoozer because the players don't like each other, but it'd be good it it was.

nothingbeatshockey

May 3, 2013
Pens called up Sestito. Fireworks likely.

Was wondering who Sesito was, then I saw this write-up in wikipedia:

Sestito has been referred to as a "talentless thug"and infamously as a "boxing hobo on skates" by ESPN commentator Keith Olbermann. Sestito made headlines after receiving twenty-seven combined penalty minutes for just one second of on-ice time against the Los Angeles Kings on January 13, 2014. Afterwards, ESPN's Olbermann named Sestito "The Worst Person in the Sports World" on his show while stating that Sestito is "not a hockey player".

Funny that on the Pens board there talking about Ovie being a cheap shot artist but their coach calls up this thug to play.

4thTierSport

Feb 15, 2009
Doesn't make sense to me. Why would the Caps expend all sorts of energy on a meaningless game? Hits often go tit for tat in the NHL. While the soft and whiny Pens would be fools to try and engage the larger and more physical Caps this way, why would the Caps do this when they have nothing to play for?

Trotz is smarter than that. The focus is on the bigger prize. The Caps have achieved regular team-based season goal already. I bet the Caps play a defensively responsible vanilla game. It won't be a snoozer because the players don't like each other, but it'd be good it it was.
Prefect opportunity to flip the switch. The NHL is all gaga over the coach killing Pens are finally playing at a more reasonable level. Blow them out expose them and get people to shut up.

Sestito has been referred to as a "talentless thug"and infamously as a "boxing hobo on skates" by ESPN commentator Keith Olbermann. Sestito made headlines after receiving twenty-seven combined penalty minutes for just one second of on-ice time against the Los Angeles Kings on January 13, 2014. Afterwards, ESPN's Olbermann named Sestito "The Worst Person in the Sports World" on his show while stating that Sestito is "not a hockey player".

Funny that on the Pens board there talking about Ovie being a cheap shot artist but their coach calls up this thug to play.
FFS, he is a talentless *** clown and I would be shocked if he doesn't do something idiotic. Looks like an emergency call up. Sheary out from a quick search.

What do they call Kunitz then?

Last edited:

CapitalsCupReality

It’s Go Time!!
Feb 27, 2002
You're right, Trotz is smarter. To expect them to half ass it for a long time, only to hit the ice running at 100% efficiency round 1 game 1 is not the mold championship teams are typically built from. They need to ramp up a bit IMO. Why would they dick around and give any potential playoff opponent confidence against them right now?

Alexander the Gr8

May 2, 2013
Toronto

Tom Sestito... So the Pens want to play dirty huh? He's going to be just as useful for them as Boulton was for the Isles.

Wilson dodged Boulton the other game, he should dodge Sestito. Sestito shouldn't try anything, unless he wants to see Bennett and Letang getting hammered against the boards.

Hivemind

We're Touched
Oct 8, 2010
Philadelphia
I doubt Sestito will actually play. If he does, the Capitals should be wise not to retaliate and especially wise not to escalate. Let him put the Pens shorthanded with his stupidity. Don't turn this into a cheap shot festival or get someone a concussion or broken hand in a fight.

RandyHolt

Keep truckin'
Nov 3, 2006
Maybe he was called up to help deter against liberties vs Casper and Tang

I know I know there is no such thing as a detererer, only a defererer.

CapitalsCupReality

It’s Go Time!!
Feb 27, 2002
Orlov needs to be benched

I've been critical of the kid at times this year, but he's the more talented guy by a mile (over their options). IMO Trotz is doing the right thing trying to support his psyche in a tough stretch.

We have two vets who can jump in the lineup in game 1 with no notice. It's Scorlov's spot to lose. Let him sink or swim these last few games.

AlexBrovechkin8

At least there was 2018.
Sponsor
Feb 18, 2012
District of Champions
I doubt Sestito will actually play. If he does, the Capitals should be wise not to retaliate and especially wise not to escalate. Let him put the Pens shorthanded with his stupidity. Don't turn this into a cheap shot festival or get someone a concussion or broken hand in a fight.

Agreed. With Sestito on the ice they're pretty much playing 4-on-5 anyway so let him run around like an idiot, get his 4 minutes TOI, and laugh at him every time he tries to go.

AlexBrovechkin8

At least there was 2018.
Sponsor
Feb 18, 2012
District of Champions
I've been critical of the kid at times this year, but he's the more talented guy by a mile (over their options). IMO Trotz is doing the right thing trying to support his psyche in a tough stretch.

We have two vets who can jump in the lineup in game 1 with no notice. It's Scorlov's spot to lose. Let him sink or swim these last few games.

It's pretty obvious he's playing with zero confidence right now. He needs to fix his **** quick or they need to put in Chorney.

CapitalsCupReality

It’s Go Time!!
Feb 27, 2002
It's pretty obvious he's playing with zero confidence right now. He needs to fix his **** quick or they need to put in Chorney.

Yep totally agree. Better now than when the crazy pressure starts. He's close to playing himself to the press box for the playoffs, and IMO, he's going to be needed to help raise the Cup.

AlexBrovechkin8

At least there was 2018.
Sponsor
Feb 18, 2012
District of Champions
Yep totally agree. Better now than when the crazy pressure starts. He's close to playing himself to the press box for the playoffs, and IMO, he's going to be needed to help raise the Cup.

Been saying this for 6 months: Orlov is an x-factor and will be a gamebreaker in the playoffs... the only question is for who? Sublime offensive rush that provides a huge spark or a remote control-throwing brain fart that costs them huge, which one will it be?

RandyHolt

Keep truckin'
Nov 3, 2006
Joe B Bingo.... missing a few - absolutely brilliant!

And I think they need to follow it up with Lockers card.

image1_0.png

RandyHolt

Keep truckin'
Nov 3, 2006

Curious, why do you think Pitt called him up, especially since as you imply, doubt that he will even play.

Is Pitts coach an idiot... he seems to have his team firing on all cylinders and runs risk of shaking up his ace lineup with a red hot team, to insert him. This is an important game for Pitt to boot.

Hivemind

We're Touched
Oct 8, 2010
Philadelphia
Curious, why do you think Pitt called him up, especially since as you imply, doubt that he will even play.

Is Pitts coach an idiot... he seems to have his team firing on all cylinders and runs risk of shaking up his ace lineup with a red hot team, to insert him. This is an important game for Pitt to boot.

Conor Sheary took a high stick to the eye and might not be good to go tonight. This looks more like an insurance move in case Sheary isn't able to play. The two shared 4th line duty in the morning skate.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

• Granada vs Osasuna
    Granada vs Osasuna
    Wagers: 1
    Staked: $10.00
    Event closes
    • Updated:
  • Rennes vs Brest
    Rennes vs Brest