Sportsnet: Wilson: Leafs need 1-to-2 big-time defencemen

New Liskeard

Jul 7, 2007
I do disagree with Wilson however.

Phaneuf, Lupul and Kessel are the anti-leaders.

I honestly don't even put Lupul's name into the equation anymore. I see more modelling photographs of him these days then I do of him actually playing hockey. This man does not play hockey for love of the game... he plays it to fuel his personal life.

- Makes a spectacle out of losing his phone in a taxi
- Makes a spectacle out of being asked if he has a girlfriend
- Gets professional photographs done for halloween
- Attends many fashion events
- Changes an old man's tire... puts it on social media

Lupul loves the celebrity part of the game, not the actually hockey part.

You know this how? Lupul is the first at practise and last to leave according to several of his coaches.

New Liskeard

Jul 7, 2007
Finn is in the ECHL AA league and has absolutely no trade value. And quantity /= quality

If TO is looking to trade for a young #1C the conversation starts with Reilly and Nylander and #1 pick. Anything less then that is delutonal.

Finn has no value? Wow, news to me. Nothing to do with his injury I am sure, or the many players who had a cup of coffee in the ECHL.

Orfieus

Nov 2, 2012
Atlantic Canada
Finn has no value? Wow, news to me. Nothing to do with his injury I am sure, or the many players who had a cup of coffee in the ECHL.

I actually just read he was called up today but he did play 8 games in the ECHL but the fact he did play in the ECHL is not a good sign at all.

thewave

Jun 17, 2011
You know this how? Lupul is the first at practise and last to leave according to several of his coaches.

Lupul is also an exceptional hockey player. We all know his issue with some kind of curse or black cloud that follows him. If he were healthy this season he would be an All Star.

yubbers

Grown Menzez
May 1, 2013
But he's never healthy. Hard to stabilize your lines when you can book without question 30 missed games a year.

He has to go at the deadline. It's where you will get the most value for someone making a push

Riellyfan04

Feb 25, 2010
Toronto On
Wilson is telling the truth and some of you on here hating on him cause you hate the truth... This team is a joke... All we have is like 4 pieces that are actually fun to watch and have something to look forward too! Rielly,Bernier, Kadri and JVR the rest can f off!

dubey

$$$$$$$*NICE*$$$$$$$ 69 in 79 $$$$$$$*NICE*$$$$$$$
Oct 22, 2006
In your head
Wilson is telling the truth and some of you on here hating on him cause you hate the truth... This team is a joke... All we have is like 4 pieces that are actually fun to watch and have something to look forward too! Rielly,Bernier, Kadri and JVR the rest can f off!
LOL

Pick players like JVR over Kessel and you'll have something to "look forward too" hahahaha

Erdinger

Oct 6, 2011
Toronto
But he's never healthy. Hard to stabilize your lines when you can book without question 30 missed games a year.

He has to go at the deadline. It's where you will get the most value for someone making a push
If we miss the playoffs his contract clause says the Leafs can trade him anywhere during the off season

Al14

Jul 13, 2007
LOL

Pick players like JVR over Kessel and you'll have something to "look forward too" hahahaha

When Kessel isn't scoring, he is hardly doing anything exciting! He is not an exciting 200ft player! He can't seem to score on a breakaway, to save his life!

Kessel, on a team where he doesn't have to be 'the guy', would make a good scoring support player! He's not good at much else, and, certainly doesn't raise his team to elite status on his own!

Teeder9

Free rent for Mo?
Oct 14, 2011
Ontario
When Kessel isn't scoring, he is hardly doing anything exciting! He is not an exciting 200ft player! He can't seem to score on a breakaway, to save his life!

Kessel, on a team where he doesn't have to be 'the guy', would make a good scoring support player! He's not good at much else, and, certainly doesn't raise his team to elite status on his own!

Fact is, none of the top 6 do much when they don't have the puck. Bottom 6 is great in that respect. If we could change Bozak into a guy like Staal, and give Kadri a winger like Callahan or Hossa, we'd be a playoff team

TheOneArmedMan

Jan 17, 2011
I agree with Wilson. Leafs D is still not good enough. Polak was a decent signing but I don't really get why Robidas is here besides mentoring the young guys, because he has been just ok so far. They need another top pairing D to play with Phanuef.

The other thing about needing supporting players for when Kessel dissapears is correct too. They can't just rely on him for scoring goals. I say deal Lupul for another power forward becuase he can't stay healthyif his life depended on it.

yubbers

Grown Menzez
May 1, 2013
I agree with Wilson. Leafs D is still not good enough. Polak was a decent signing but I don't really get why Robidas is here besides mentoring the young guys, because he has been just ok so far. They need another top pairing D to play with Phanuef.

The other thing about needing supporting players for when Kessel dissapears is correct too. They can't just rely on him for scoring goals. I say deal Lupul for another power forward becuase he can't stay healthyif his life depended on it.

Polak is a -7
Robidas is a + 12

But the Polak signing was decent? We only gave up a defensively sound + player in Gunner AND retained salary for a guy that blocks pucks with his face on occasion but sucks at defense.

This fan base is always hilarious but the last week has been special. Not a good special

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad