Sportsnet: Wilson: Leafs need 1-to-2 big-time defencemen

Pyrophorus

Jun 1, 2009
Eastern GTA
No 1D or 1C are available. Grow your own like everyone else. Precisely why we need to ditch the dead wood, Lupul Clarkson Bozak Robidas Jake and probably Reimer. We need to take what we can get package some other prospects and picks and move up in the draft as best we can.

Panik finally getting a shot where he should be tried out tonight. Santorelli can stick around as well. Jake is not a defender he just isn't I am convinced of it.

This team should make the above a goal and then like any other team hope for a good selection at the draft. Kessel can be traded if he argues the Bozak trade, if he is that demanding in the face of that you know for a fact you don't want him here.

I'm not a tanker, but I do agree with your selection of players. Jake maybe a grey area.

thewave

Jun 17, 2011
I'm not a tanker, but I do agree with your selection of players. Jake maybe a grey area.

With Jake it's like this. He is far to soft and way to likely to play the Rover instinctively. His D ability as it stands is below NHL level even in the 5-6 spots. The way he works the wing and can skate his way in behind the opposition net is amazing. The guy can do it at will, that's a HUGE plus for any winger to establish themselves there. Behind the net can be deadly if you know what you're doing.

The net is the only obstacle or free protection a player has on the ice. It can be used for deception, wrap arounds and to sucker an opponent out of position. Gretzky made a living back there because he knew how to use the obstacle.

AustonMitchWilly

Jul 3, 2013
With Jake it's like this. He is far to soft and way to likely to play the Rover instinctively. His D ability as it stands is below NHL level even in the 5-6 spots. The way he works the wing and can skate his way in behind the opposition net is amazing. The guy can do it at will, that's a HUGE plus for any winger to establish themselves there. Behind the net can be deadly if you know what you're doing.

The net is the only obstacle or free protection a player has on the ice. It can be used for deception, wrap arounds and to sucker an opponent out of position. Gretzky made a living back there because he knew how to use the obstacle.

Which is why I think he could be tried as a winger, but everyone seems to **** on any person who thinks it might be a good idea.

thewave

Jun 17, 2011
Which is why I think he could be tried as a winger, but everyone seems to **** on any person who thinks it might be a good idea.

I don't really care for what most say or claim around here. Any time a legit hockey person says or does something you suggested or were thinking should be the only thing that matters. It is not a far fetched idea and **** what I say, this is from several professionals and was live on the air.

Jake was made a D at 16? He isn't far removed from his days at wing or C.

zeke

The Dube Abides
Mar 14, 2005
Twitter says: More good stuff from Shanny on TSN. "Ron Wilson was a good coach, but he doesn't coach here anymore." ...
... adds that Wilson would've been livid to have another coach rip his players.

Attaboy, Shanny. Give it right back to these self serving failures.

CelticDruid

Oct 23, 2013
Penticton , BC
Maybe posters should wait and see how Gardiner is playing after ten games under the new coach - he could turn it around and be the player that played so well in the Boston series. Same for Reilly, these players have lost their confidence and its only a matter of good coaching before they get it back .

HellasLEAF

'93 to Infinity
Sep 14, 2006
Can we limit the Wilson threads lol

I mean, whether he is right or wrong, he has to be so biased it's almost not worth discussing.

Pilky01

Jan 30, 2012
GTA
There was our "big time", $8M defensive rock falling down at the other team's blue line to give up a breakaway.

That anybody defends idiot Phanuef on any grounds whatsoever is really hard to believe. The guy is TERRIBLE. Having such a useless moron as your CAPTAIN has to be demoralizing. :shakehead

Durkin67

Hey Hanta Yo' Ronny, how bout go find a coaching job instead of being a front-seat critic of the team who fired you???

You think it's any big news here that we need a #1D?

He received an interview request. He accepted.
He was asked pointed questions about various issues surrounding the team. He answered.

What do you want him to say?

Durkin67

Can we limit the Wilson threads lol

I mean, whether he is right or wrong, he has to be so biased it's almost not worth discussing.

Disagree. He got paid. He's a millionaire with a long successful coaching career.

The four years in Toronto mean nothing to him at this point. He has no agenda or personal vendetta.

The man has been silent since his dismissal. Clearly, he couldn't care less

Durkin67

There was our "big time", $8M defensive rock falling down at the other team's blue line to give up a breakaway.

That anybody defends idiot Phanuef on any grounds whatsoever is really hard to believe. The guy is TERRIBLE. Having such a useless moron as your CAPTAIN has to be demoralizing. :shakehead

pretty sure it's 7 million
And he's not useless, idiotic, or terrible.
He's just not a good captain, or a 1D.

That's on Nonis

Quares27

Apr 3, 2013
Wilson can go away. The guy is such a coward. When the Leafs made the playoffs a year after he got fired he fell off the face of the earth and didn't do an interview for several years. Now Carlyle gets fired and he comes out of the woodwork like a rat talking bad about everybody.

niguma

Oct 3, 2008
This Wilson fella seems to know his stuff...If he's available, we should nab him as our coach.

Morguee

Jan 22, 2010
Waiting on the comments from Ronny on last nights game, he seems to be picking his spots.

HoweHullOrr

Oct 3, 2013
Hey Hanta Yo' Ronny, how bout go find a coaching job instead of being a front-seat critic of the team who fired you???

You think it's any big news here that we need a #1D?

So, other than it being "obvious", was Ronny wrong?

Didn't many here think that Phaneuf here was a #1 top defender in the league not that long ago? It's just that he had the "tough minutes" is what I recall.

Orfieus

Nov 2, 2012
Atlantic Canada
:laugh:

Yep, let's just dangle Kadri/Bozak and Finn for a 1st. line center.
Then put Gardiner and Percy on the market for someone to carry Phaneuf.

Probably looking at the draft, and 3-5 years of development time and all set.

Finn is in the ECHL AA league and has absolutely no trade value. And quantity /= quality

If TO is looking to trade for a young #1C the conversation starts with Reilly and Nylander and #1 pick. Anything less then that is delutonal.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad