Wilson gets 20 games

Status
Not open for further replies.

maacoshark

Jul 22, 2017
(Pure opinion ahead)

How's best to separate the puck from the guy carrying it?

Hit him when he isn't expecting it so he doesn't brace/protect the puck or get him shook so tght as you take a run at him he panics and does something stupid.

Unfortunately the former is also the best way to injure someone...

As has been said before he needs to be a bit smarter with picking moments and lining people up, but at the same time there have been quite a few times where someone puts themselves in a dangerous position - e.g. turns their back and faces the boards when the checker has commited and can't pull up.

If they aren't already then the NHLPA/league should spend as much time talking about how to get hit cleanly/safely as how to check safely.
You are talking about players not expecting to get hit. This has become a problem in the new NHL. Players are clueless as to what's going on around them. They dont know how to protect themselves.
Players are getting used to making dumb plays which puts themselves in a dangerous position but they get away with it the majority of times because of the lack of physical play.

searle

Jan 24, 2014
England
You are talking about players not expecting to get hit. This has become a problem in the new NHL. Players are clueless as to what's going on around them. They dont know how to protect themselves.
Players are getting used to making dumb plays which puts themselves in a dangerous position but they get away with it the majority of times because of the lack of physical play.
In part, yes, as I feel like you see more people looking at their feet/not getting their head up and getting rocked.

I would say that the Aston-Reese hit was one in which he had his head up (though too late to completely avoid the hit) and had enough time to brace and protect himself, but the body position he chose was one that made the collision far worse - it looks to me as though he tried to counter-check Wilson and the height difference meant he took it to the jaw.

RandyHolt

Keep truckin'
Nov 3, 2006
Careless play seemed like it started with players turning their backs on hits facing the boards, to avoid taking hits head on. Presumably cowering / turning away from hits vs manning up, or more likely, to try to draw boarding penalties.

Of course, the lack of hitting in the NHL is the root issue. Players eventually let their guard down as hard hitting was close to removed from the game (at least compared to previous decades). Which magnifies the public outcry after just one hard hit on any given night.

Hitees could lobby for participation trophies. Or, maybe they can get a "I got hit by Mr Wilson and all I got was injured and this oversized tshirt".

Last edited:

RandyHolt

Keep truckin'
Nov 3, 2006
So many candidates for our silk screen press operation aspirations

I got trucked by Willy and all I got was a shattered orbital IR'd and a lousy Tshirt

tom-wilson-hit-suspension.jpg

Tom_Wilson_Fined_Kneeing.JPG

txpd

Jan 25, 2003
New Bern, NC
Welcome back 43.

I will be interested to know what might be in this ruling that effects Wilson's treatment by the league and his status going forward?

Sep 19, 2008
It's good to see him back but I'd be lying if I weren't concerned about ramifications if he was caught in another "questionable" hit. The NHL is trying to send a message, fair or not, that he can't keep playing his style of hockey. I am curious to see if he will adapt or not. Because you know if he gets suspended again it's going to be longer than 20 games. And the team can't freaking afford to have him out that long. He has to change his style for the good of the team.

Reactions: VaCaps Fan

txpd

Jan 25, 2003
New Bern, NC
Looking forward to his return.

I'd like to read the arbitrator's ruling because I imagine there were some big issues regarding the formula used to calculate games suspended.

I agree with this, though, I think the issue is the specific treatment of Wilson. IMO the Capitals provided chapter and verse of what the league demanded of Wilson and each case of where the league still penalized him for playing within the guidelines provided to him personally.

These things have a cumulative effect. You can read between the lines that the suspension as served was too long if justified at all.

My guess is the ruling will not be made public.

twabby

Mar 9, 2010
As stated above, I find that the League's decision that Wilson violated Rule 48 was supported by substantial evidence, but that the length of the 20-game suspension imposed was not supported by substantial evidence. As remedy, consistent with my findings, I conclude that Wilson's suspension should be reduced to 14 games. I have arrived at this length by treating his most recent prior 3 playoff game suspension as the equivalent of 6 regular season games, as Parros did, doubling that based on all relevant circumstances to 12 games -- which certainly constitutes more severe punishment consistent with the CBA -- and adding 2 games, as Parros did, based on the injury to Sundqvist. This 14-game suspension reflects the similarities with Kaleta as well as the relevant circumstances that support a somewhat longer suspension in this case.

So basically he agreed that Wilson certainly violated Rule 48 but that the 3x multiplier was bad and should have used a 2x multiplier.

Hivemind

We're Touched
Oct 8, 2010
Philadelphia
Fine with this. Hopefully 16 games without playing (14 without pay) will be enough for Wilson to wrap his head around this. If not, the next suspension will be even worse. The team is better with Wilson in the line-up than without him, so he has to figure this out.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad