Wilson gets 20 games

Status
Not open for further replies.

Blades of Steel

log off.
Dec 10, 2009
Virginia
So he's being punished for being tall? Like none of this logic tracks guys, there is nothing in the rule book about this and the logic is flawed. Bigger guys are now being penalized for their size? What is the point in drafting a guy over 6'2 now?

pretty much. he's tall and his hits are devastating, so he must be punished. even if he is hitting the shoulder first in these hits and it then proceeds to make the head snap, he will be punished for that.

Skrudland2Lomakin

Jan 1, 2011
If they go the route with such monstrous suspension for him then I can't imagine that they didn't warn him in person earlier to not do that or otherwise they will shut him down. Sometimes it's not about legality. Anyone who has a job knows it. If CEO asks you not to do something that is legal but not good for business, you better don't do that or he has every right to punish you after repeatedly ignoring what he's been told.
It's still and arbitrary standard that is apparently being determined by opinion. Like if your rule is "I don't know how to define it, I just know it when I see it" that's a bad rule. TW43 shouldn't be reprimanded for being bigger, faster, or stronger. The standards and lines need to be the same for everyone. This is why charging is about the pacing of the player, not the speed he comes in at. You can determine if a slow player of fast player took the same amount of strides, you can't punish them for the speed itself.

g00n

Retired Global Mod
Nov 22, 2007
Thought 10-12, boy was I off. A quarter of the season......

Dumb contract gets even dumber.

Sure, it's the contract's fault the DOPS has a hate chub for TW.

20 games is outlandish, cartoonish, and for every Caps fan it should be offensive. This is the price we pay when we allow (or join in) with the rest of the league's pissing and moaning every time there's a big hit. The first 3 suspensions were largely bullshit. He should have been suspended for the first, maybe second time here. But since it's the 4th, due to anti-TW hysteria, it's a big one.

It's unprecedented because they set out to build up a record for him last preseason, and they'd never done that with anyone before. They can't feign surprise or lack of recourse when they're the ones who created this precedent.

The Wilson haters on this board have gotten their wish. Congratulations. Let's see how the Caps fare without your whipping boy. ;)

wintersej

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Nov 26, 2011
North Andover, MA
So he's being punished for being too strong or big now and not actually making a bad hit?

This logic is terrible. So if someone like Zuccarello throws this hit a 100% it's probably fine... but Tom Wilson must play at 50%.

When you draw arbitrary lines in the sand don't act surprised when that line is overstepped.

'Ah sorry Tom, you need to dial it back, you definitely hit with too much force on that one, we need like 75% of that but this is definitely 83%."

I hate being that fan from another team commenting on another teams boards. But , yes. They are exactly saying hold back on the high hits when folks are in a dangerous position. A good hard hit thru the body is fine, but you don’t need to explode high to leave some hurt.

This is not a crusade against Wilson. I’m a Bruins fan. Chara used to be way more like physical. Then MaxPac happened. And Chara learned what was appropriate. These athletes are too big and fast now. They have to play with respect for other players. Or people are going to start getting worse brain damage. Or worse. The NHL is just asking him not to be a mindless psychopath. Pain is fine. Broken bones is fine. Avoidable scrambled eggs for brains is not fine.

Ms Maggie

Apr 11, 2017
Like training a dog. If he keeps pooping on the rug the punishment has to escalate til the dumb animal comprehends boundaries.

Reactions: The Liker

g00n

Retired Global Mod
Nov 22, 2007
....sure seems like all the other big players in the league avoid being suspended multiple times a year.

Probably just luck I guess.

If every player his size and speed and role hit as much as he did, I guarantee you there would be a similar frequency of unfortunate injuries and headshots.

Can you give some examples of players that match all three criteria I listed who hit as much as Wilson but never hurt anyone?

HeyMattyB

Sports bring out the worst in everyone.
Aug 20, 2010
Philadelphia, PA
It's like some of you all are willfully ignoring the fact that there are A LOT OF NHL PLAYERS who 1) are the same size (or bigger) than Tom Wilson yet 2) have managed to throw a lot of hits without breaking anyone's jaw or causing any concussions.

This isn't the NHL DoPS going after every big, strong, hard-hitting player in the league. It's the NHL DoPS going after a guy who has a reputation for cheap headshots, who had been given multiple warnings, and who had been suspended three times in the last year and then DID IT AGAIN.

maacoshark

Jul 22, 2017
Is it safe to assume Wilson will appeal this and attempt for a lesser suspension? Has an appeal worked for anyone?
I think he should appeal this suspension. We all know the hit was illegal hit 20 games is excessive. This suspension is right up there with some of the worst attacks in the game. Is the league saying that this infraction is as bad as premeditated attacks from guys like Mcsorley, Simon or Bertuzzi and several others. Those were all vicious attacks. Tom Wilson was given 20 games for a hockey play. It is ridiculous.

g00n

Retired Global Mod
Nov 22, 2007
It's like some of you all are willfully ignoring the fact that there are A LOT OF NHL PLAYERS who 1) are the same size (or bigger) than Tom Wilson yet 2) have managed to throw a lot of hits without breaking anyone's jaw or causing any concussions.

This isn't the NHL DoPS going after every big, strong, hard-hitting player in the league. It's the NHL DoPS going after a guy who has a reputation for cheap headshots, who had been given multiple warnings, and who had been suspended three times in the last year and then DID IT AGAIN.

See my post above yours. Name them, please, with stats.

Midnight Judges

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Feb 10, 2010
So he's being punished for being too strong or big now and not actually making a bad hit?

This logic is terrible. So if someone like Zuccarello throws this hit a 100% it's probably fine... but Tom Wilson must play at 50%.

When you draw arbitrary lines in the sand don't act surprised when that line is overstepped.

'Ah sorry Tom, you need to dial it back, you definitely hit with too much force on that one, we need like 75% of that but this is definitely 83%."

Dude.

It was a head shot.

Evidence: The dude's face is all cut up.

marcel snapshot

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Feb 15, 2005
I hate being that fan from another team commenting on another teams boards. But , yes. They are exactly saying hold back on the high hits when folks are in a dangerous position. A good hard hit thru the body is fine, but you don’t need to explode high to leave some hurt.

This is not a crusade against Wilson. I’m a Bruins fan. Chara used to be way more like physical. Then MaxPac happened. And Chara learned what was appropriate. These athletes are too big and fast now. They have to play with respect for other players. Or people are going to start getting worse brain damage. Or worse. The NHL is just asking him not to be a mindless psychopath. Pain is fine. Broken bones is fine. Avoidable scrambled eggs for brains is not fine.

Not saying you're "that fan from another board." But remind me - Chara didn't even get 1 game for that hit on Pacioretty, right? And that hit - stanchion face smash - was . . . really bad and really late, as I recall.

Everyone here knows Willy has to pay for that hit, and that he shouldn't have done it. But man 20 games is just serious overkill

g00n

Retired Global Mod
Nov 22, 2007
I want to see some HUGE suspensions going around the rest of the league this year. Be consistent, DOPS. Plenty of guys have rung another dude's bell and gotten nothing. So let's see some of that precedent being established elsewhere.

Reactions: Drakon
Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad