Wilson gets 20 games

Status
Not open for further replies.

Melkor

Jul 22, 2012
Auckland, New Zealand
Entirely reactionary.

Listened to the Spittin' Chiclets podcast this week, all three guys weren't even certain this was a penalty. The onus was more thrown on Sundqvist for going onto the train tracks with his head down.

The league has given Wilson nothing but mixed signals. They wrote off a few of his early hits as being legal... but then they included them in their later rationale of him being a repeat offender.

All sense of reason has long since expired, all they do now is use the temperature of the outrage as a barometer to punish.
Come on, this hit is a definiton of a bad hit. They warned him numerous times to not hit with such force when it is not needed at all to prevent brain damage. He ignored it. When you ignore what chief says you get reprimanted.

ovikovy817

May 23, 2015
Belgium
luckily Walker and Chiasson were able to step up like that, what a genius play by Wilson!

That hit, changed the whole G3 in Pittsburgh. We were down by 1 and after the hit, the Pens were out of their game. Losing this one + G4, and we're not coming back from 3-1 deficit in that series for sure.

Reactions: RandyHolt

OviTaughtMe

Jun 17, 2013
PG County
If you watch the video, it essentially says “he’s been suspended a ridiculous amount of times in a calendar year for doing the same shit over and over. We’re tired of it so here you go”

Again, you can’t keep doing the same dumb shit over and over. Now the team’s repeat bid is hurting for a significant amount of time

Ridley Simon

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Feb 27, 2002
Marin County — SF Bay Area, CA
Yeah that was some bull**** but it is what it is.

Maybe he appeals and gets five games knocked off....... Marchand has been suspended six times and I think five was the most he’s ever received.

Crosby = Lemieux

Its the "Penguin Way" (parody of the Patriot Way). Whine and complain until you get what you want.

HeyMattyB

Sports bring out the worst in everyone.
Aug 20, 2010
Philadelphia, PA
Wilson had been suspended THREE TIMES in the LAST YEAR (and avoided suspensions on three other suspect hits in the playoffs: Wennberg, Dumoulin, and Marchessault). That doesn't even include his history of suspect hits before all of this. Despite those suspensions, he had yet to learn how to adjust his game.

I mean, I'm a Caps fan. I root for Wilson (though I'd prefer he play with more discipline). But even if you like that style of play and/or don't think it should be punished, you can't argue with the simple fact that this is his FOURTH SUSPENSION in ONE YEAR. Maybe he doesn't want to learn, maybe the team doesn't want him to adjust, maybe he's incapable of adjusting. I don't know, and I don't really care to debate it, because at this point the NHL DoPS is completely justified in throwing the book at him.

FOUR SUSPENSIONS IN ONE YEAR. I mean, come on, Willy.

Sam Spade

May 4, 2009
Maryland
Is it safe to assume Wilson will appeal this and attempt for a lesser suspension? Has an appeal worked for anyone?

Raffi Torres appealed a 25 game suspension and got it reduced to 21 games.

And yep that’s where we are now, Wilson is the new Raffi Torres. :(

The next one Torres got after the 25 gamer was 41 games, which he did not appeal.

Reactions: VaCaps Fan

Silky mitts

It’s yours boys and girls and babes let’s go!
Mar 9, 2004
Hopefully he learns to think. And luckily this is only the regular season he almost ****ed us last playoffs with that Aston Reese hit.
Hurt us with penalties the 1st 2 games against Columbus. Vrana had the GWer in game 5 against the Pens in Wilson's place and Walker had the primary assist on the 1st goal in game 6, playing because of the suspension.

Skrudland2Lomakin

Jan 1, 2011
Come on, this hit is a definiton of a bad hit. They warned him numerous times to not hit with such force when it is not needed at all to prevent brain damage. He ignored it. When you ignore what chief says you get reprimanted.
So he's being punished for being too strong or big now and not actually making a bad hit?

This logic is terrible. So if someone like Zuccarello throws this hit a 100% it's probably fine... but Tom Wilson must play at 50%.

When you draw arbitrary lines in the sand don't act surprised when that line is overstepped.

'Ah sorry Tom, you need to dial it back, you definitely hit with too much force on that one, we need like 75% of that but this is definitely 83%."

Hischier and Hughes

“I love to hockey”
Jan 28, 2018
overkill, but they’re send a message more than anything.

I think this is a clear shift away from hitting in general. If a skater has their head down, they are off limits.
this isnt true in any way shape or form and the video for his suspension even notes players entering the middle take a risk, especially head down

Reactions: BrendanGallagher11

Blades of Steel

log off.
Dec 10, 2009
Virginia
So he's being punished for being too strong or big now and not actually making a bad hit?

This logic is terrible. So if someone like Zuccarello throws this hit a 100% it's probably fine... but Tom Wilson must play at 50%.

When you draw arbitrary lines in the sand don't act surprised when that line is overstepped.

'Ah sorry Tom, you need to dial it back, you definitely hit with too much force on that one, we need like 75% of that but this is definitely 83%."

Yeah, he basically has to bend down another 3-4" when he hits to make sure he's not hitting someone's shoulder then it creates the head hit. you can see in the video he leaned down and tried to go for body contact.

HTFN

Feb 8, 2009
I advise everyone to actually watch the video. There’s no rational way to argue their decision imo.
I don't know how you can admit that the player's shoulders change position prior to the hit, but ignore that this might make it more difficult to make a legal hit given the angle of approach.

They saw what they wanted to see.

Reactions: Drakon

Silky mitts

It’s yours boys and girls and babes let’s go!
Mar 9, 2004

I feel that way about the ZAR hit and the one against the Islanders but this is the textbook hit that they want to eliminate.

Melkor

Jul 22, 2012
Auckland, New Zealand

If they go the route with such monstrous suspension for him then I can't imagine that they didn't warn him in person earlier to not do that or otherwise they will shut him down. Sometimes it's not about legality. Anyone who has a job knows it. If CEO asks you not to do something that is legal but not good for business, you better don't do that or he has every right to punish you after repeatedly ignoring what he told you not to do.

Reactions: Operator18

Hischier and Hughes

“I love to hockey”
Jan 28, 2018
Yeah, he basically has to bend down another 3-4" when he hits to make sure he's not hitting someone's shoulder then it creates the head hit. you can see in the video he leaned down and tried to go for body contact.
why doesnt this problem occur for even bigger players like Byfuglien?

Reactions: Trade

Skrudland2Lomakin

Jan 1, 2011
So he's being punished for being tall? Like none of this logic tracks guys, there is nothing in the rule book about this and the logic is flawed. Bigger guys are now being penalized for their size? What is the point in drafting a guy over 6'2 now?

Reactions: RandyHolt
Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad