Wilson gets 20 games

Status
Not open for further replies.

g00n

Retired Global Mod
Nov 22, 2007
I don't think you're getting what I'm saying, Tx, and I don't really understand your comments about legal and illegal apples and oranges.

Boarding allows for the incidental contact of the head to the boards to be penalized if the refs believe the offending player was at fault. Roughing and charging also have language that would cover just about anything you care to throw in there. The language is intentionally vague and the rules even state the refs have discretion/judgment.

And it's already true that an otherwise legal hit that extends into contact with the head CAN become an illegal or fined hit. We have seen that happen. There is a rule about hitting the head (Rule 48). The head need not be the "primary" point of contact anymore--it is defined as illegal now if the "main" point of contact is the head. For what I'm saying all you have to do is remove that "main point of contact" part of the rule and the rest is mostly spelled out, and it still carries more exceptions than high sticking.

Like it or not this is all about preventing injuries. You will not remove all injuries but you can reduce them. I'm saying the only way to do that is to cause ALL players to be more careful in how they deliver checks because they will know that, as with their sticks, other parts of their body may not touch another player's head during a check. It's not as complicated as you're making it.

RandyHolt

Keep truckin'
Nov 3, 2006
We already have the head snapping embellishment. Thanks to Mario and S1d, of course.

Coaches should be able to review a penalty call per game. Why stop at offsides?

Reactions: VaCaps Fan

g00n

Retired Global Mod
Nov 22, 2007
Then the league will change the rule to say that any contact with the head of an opponent is a penalty. Cant wait for the head snapping embellishment that follows that. Oh boy. Next?

Next you penalize divers and maybe even make the plays subject to review.

I'm taking the devil's advocate side here, which is something I rarely engage in. I would rather guys blow each other up at will. But if we're going to regulate this stuff then let's do it in a way that makes more sense than whatever the f*** the current plan is.

Reactions: RandyHolt

4thTierSport

Feb 15, 2009
The rules are clear, but just like other rules/laws they are selectively enforced based on the player. It sucks for Wilson, but again this is his 4th suspension in 100 games. He's not doing himself any favors by continually being on the DOPS radar. 20 games is hardly unfair.
Yet someone like Marchand had been popping up multiple times for extremely dirty plays like slewfoots, spears, after play junk, among others. He has 6 suspensions and 4 fines in less than 8 years. In that time he amassed 3 infractions in a calender year or less twice. Yet his last suspension was for 5 games when he elbowed a player in the face after the whistle. That actually lead to a concussion unlike Tom’s last hit which lead to a shoulder injury. (Head main point of contact...?)

So forgive me but your “but again” statement is complete and utter shit.

Reactions: RandyHolt

txpd

Jan 25, 2003
New Bern, NC
Next you penalize divers and maybe even make the plays subject to review.

I'm taking the devil's advocate side here, which is something I rarely engage in. I would rather guys blow each other up at will. But if we're going to regulate this stuff then let's do it in a way that makes more sense than whatever the **** the current plan is.

As long as players are allowed to punch the opposition into the hospital without supplemental, I am skeptical about making any other head contact doom. But that is just me

Reactions: calicapsfan

g00n

Retired Global Mod
Nov 22, 2007
As long as players are allowed to punch the opposition into the hospital without supplemental, I am skeptical about making any other head contact doom. But that is just me

I think there's a difference between two adult professionals in a contact sport choosing to punch each other in a contest of fisticuffs vs the intricacies of managing head contact as collateral damage from one guy checking another (who would rather NOT be checked) with the full force of his accelerated bodyweight and often concentrated in a shoulder or elbow.

What's worse, two race cars crashing into each other or two pissed off drivers fighting over some bad track manners?

4thTierSport

Feb 15, 2009
I think there's a difference between two adult professionals in a contact sport choosing to punch each other in a contest of fisticuffs vs the intricacies of managing head contact as collateral damage from one guy checking another (who would rather NOT be checked) with the full force of his accelerated bodyweight and often concentrated in a shoulder or elbow.

What's worse, two race cars crashing into each other or two pissed off drivers fighting over some bad track manners?
Two fighting almost everytime.

txpd

Jan 25, 2003
New Bern, NC

really? do you think Lars Eller feels that way after Boston? I forget the guy in the playoffs that squared up with Wilson and got trucked and broke his jaw. He was one of two adult professionals ready for contact and he lost. He got hurt.

Its never so black and white.

Not sure what race car drivers have to do with this. They get fined and suspended and their sponsors pull their money over behavior like that.

Raikkonen

Dumb guy
Aug 19, 2009
Russia
Head snapping is easy to prevent. Force the review process on every rule 87 (surely, hit to the head) violation occasion. If someone dived give him 3 games. Mandatory review will banish all divers in no time.

g00n

Retired Global Mod
Nov 22, 2007
really? do you think Lars Eller feels that way after Boston? I forget the guy in the playoffs that squared up with Wilson and got trucked and broke his jaw. He was one of two adult professionals ready for contact and he lost. He got hurt.

Its never so black and white.

Not sure what race car drivers have to do with this. They get fined and suspended and their sponsors pull their money over behavior like that.

Come on, Tex. I'm tired of explaining this to you. You're thrashing the issue.

txpd

Jan 25, 2003
New Bern, NC
Come on, Tex. I'm tired of explaining this to you. You're thrashing the issue.

I get it. You say there is a difference between hit the head and punching the head because the punching involves two adults choosing to fight. Why is pointing out that Eller was jumped and not consenting and bloodied thrashing the issue?

txpd

Jan 25, 2003
New Bern, NC
Its different everywhere but in the NHL a suspended player may not play in games and is fined a game salary for each suspended game. He is not suspended from team activities and facilities. I believe that Wilson has been skating with the team all along

Jacoby4HOF66

Pull my finger
Mar 13, 2009
Yeah in the NFL a suspended player is banished from everything until his suspension is up. Should of put 2 and 2 together when I saw the picture of Willy in that tweet and when he came out for the banner raising.

chilimac

Nov 4, 2009
kent island
I follow this guy because of everything he posts his Caps stuff seems the most solid. I really hope he is correct on this one:

Isnt this the guy who was wrong about the nature of Nicky's injury in the playoffs and when everybody knew he was wrong he tried to backtrack and say he had 'misunderstood' his source??
Anyway, if we look at the language he uses in this one, we have a bunch of ambigous(!!)wording that boils down to he thinks(?) the decision may be announced tomorrow(we already know this) and it will be a small reduction in the suspension(which many are expecting anyway, i believe).

So , if you were Tom, and Gary offered you a reduction in sentence, whats the minimum # of games it would take to make you skip arbitration ?

Sam Spade

May 4, 2009
Maryland
Isnt this the guy who was wrong about the nature of Nicky's injury in the playoffs and when everybody knew he was wrong he tried to backtrack and say he had 'misunderstood' his source??
Anyway, if we look at the language he uses in this one, we have a bunch of ambigous(!!)wording that boils down to he thinks(?) the decision may be announced tomorrow(we already know this) and it will be a small reduction in the suspension(which many are expecting anyway, i believe).

No he was actually pretty spot on with Backstrom, which is why I gave him the follow. He was also pretty early on the Lamorillo to the Isles stuff.

Honestly though I will eat up any positive Wilson news because I am a sucker. ;)

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad