Wilson/Carlyle stat

rdawg1234

Jul 2, 2012
Adding to this, just to show how garbage randy carlyle's style is, any coach that teaches players to let you shoot on the net is just ridiculous.

http://www.pensionplanpuppets.com/2013/11/13/5098386/maple-leafs-news-links-november-13-2013

"Senators head coach Paul MacLean wants his forwards to engage opponents who go to the half-wall with the puck in the defensive zone. Ryan remembers then-Ducks head coach Randy Carlyle demanding they stay in the middle of the ice. "If the goalie can't stop it from out there, we'll get another one," Ryan said Carlyle would say."

ForSpareParts*

Youre really exaggerating what i'm saying here, I didnt say posession wasn't important in the old NHL, I'm saying it's a much more important focus for top end teams along with the ability to use all 4 lines.

http://prohockeytalk.nbcsports.com/...says-teams-dont-defend-they-possess-the-puck/

"The game’s changed. They think there’s defending in today’s game. Nah, it’s how much you have the puck. Teams that play around in their own zone they they’re defending but they’re generally getting scored on or taking face-offs and they need a goalie to stand on his head if that’s the way they play,â€

Right there is an example of sutter saying that posession is huge now.

Not to mention even corsi being mentioned by broadcasters this year, it's a new trend in the NHL.

the OLD NHL tended to have a top 6 bottom 6 model, in which it was top scorers on the top lines and mostly enforcers/defensive players on the bottom 6 lines. The game was also slower too, and defenders could do that clutch and grab thing around the blueline that gets called for interference now.

Carlyle tends to have archaic methods with his coaching, and if you give him a defensive only forward or a struggling but offensively good forward, he'll opt to play the defensive forward way more, and will destroy an offensive forwards minutes rather than possibly letting him play it out.

Not to mention there's really no reason to play an orr or Mclaren against teams that dont fight(Which is probably half the teams in the league now), it's just silly.

No. There's no change. You're trying to say that old time hockey is a losing team and that *new*/*improved* hockey is a team with a lot of talent. When was It that only untalented teams won cups?

rdawg1234

Jul 2, 2012
and we played 7 Dmen because we couldn't bring up a forward when said players were hurt that's why we went with 7 D in the first place, so if we couldn't call up a Forwards to play how could we call up a Dmen?

What are you talking about, we scratched a forward to play 7 D-men constantly.

We could've called up forwards but chose not to because he felt the 7-d system was working. I don't understand where you're getting the idea we couldn't have called up granberg, we called up ashton, Leivo, Abbott throughout the year. It doesnt matter that no D-man was injured, we still could've sat one and played granberg, Caphit or waivers wouldnt have been an issue as we had so much space freed up from LTIR(i.e Bolland and bozak at different points)

rdawg1234

Jul 2, 2012
No. There's no change. You're trying to say that old time hockey is a losing team and that *new*/*improved* hockey is a team with a lot of talent. When was It that only untalented teams won cups?

No I'm not saying that.

and it's ridiculous to say there is no change, when simply due to the rule changes that the NHL has become more of a speed game post-lockout(2004-05).

The old NHL was slower, relied alot on borderline interference plays, slower D-men, enforcers etc.

The new NHL is all about posession, wearing down opponents in their end and having all 4 lines that can contribute. Alot more skill involved and a lot less focus on top 6 being offense and bottom 6 being defence, everyone contributes on both ends of the ice.

Obviously the general game is the same and there were numerous more skilled teams in the old NHL, it's just that the new trend which has taken over mostly in the west is possession based hockey. And it's working as they are dominating eastern teams.

ForSpareParts*

No I'm not saying that.

and it's ridiculous to say there is no change, when simply due to the rule changes that the NHL has become more of a speed game post-lockout(2004-05).

The old NHL was slower, relied alot on borderline interference plays, slower D-men, enforcers etc.

The new NHL is all about posession, wearing down opponents in their end and having all 4 lines that can contribute. Alot more skill involved and a lot less focus on top 6 being offense and bottom 6 being defence, everyone contributes on both ends of the ice.

Obviously the general game is the same and there were numerous more skilled teams in the old NHL, it's just that the new trend which has taken over mostly in the west is possession based hockey. And it's working as they are dominating eastern teams.

Wow! Wait until they meet The West! Boston will be confused / won't compete based on their technological advances.

-DeMo-

Nov 12, 2006
Huntsville Ontario
What are you talking about, we scratched a forward to play 7 D-men constantly.

We could've called up forwards but chose not to because he felt the 7-d system was working. I don't understand where you're getting the idea we couldn't have called up granberg, we called up ashton, Leivo, Abbott throughout the year. It doesnt matter that no D-man was injured, we still could've sat one and played granberg, Caphit or waivers wouldnt have been an issue as we had so much space freed up from LTIR(i.e Bolland and bozak at different points)

we called up those guys in the first month of the year after that we got healthy... one of the 2 games that ashton played after the Olympic break we played 7 Dmen, probably the one or 2 games that Lupul missed prior to the time missed right at the end. so we needed to call up a forward just to get to 11 forwards. Leivo and Abbott never played a game past October, no reason why they would bring Granberg up at that point we were winning games. only once Lupul was shut down at the end of the year did we have a roster spot to bring him up.

X66

114-110
Aug 18, 2008
UofG is making absolutely no sense, it's actually quite hilarious.

Last edited:

thewave

Jun 17, 2011

Something went wrong here. Drinking? I have one before every post it keeps me even, cheers

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad