Status
Not open for further replies.

Throw More Waffles

Unprecedented Dramatic Overpayments
Oct 9, 2015
What don't you understand?

Ehlers signed his contract with the cap at 75M
Nylander will sign his deal with the cap at 79.5M

Whatever % of the cap Ehlers got Nylander should get (as a very close comparable) and because there's an extra 4.5M that means he's going to get more AAV even though his % of cap is the same

Winnipeg were proactive and signed Ehlers a year earlier and because of the cap increase it has paid off for them

I can't make it any simpler than that

Being that Ehlers contract doesn’t start till the 2018/19 season, Ehlers agent would have negotiated based on the projected 2018/19 cap ceiling.

Walshy7

Sep 18, 2016
Toronto
Being that Ehlers contract doesn’t start till the 2018/19 season, Ehlers agent would have negotiated based on the projected 2018/19 cap ceiling.

you cant include this seasons points for Ehelers, he signed before he played this season so 7yrs x $6M is a player who had a 64 point season and a 38 points season.

The CyNick

Freedom of Speech!
Sep 17, 2009
It really does. I think what a lot of people don't realize is that, the salary dollar amount (not AAV) that a player makes is not the actual dollar amount in his contract, it's a percentage of league HRR compared with the rest of the active salaries being paid out in the league.

At the end of the season, the players will have all earned a pool of 50% of what the NHL made in hockey related revenue, and their salary dollar amount compared to one another will determine the percentage of that 50% that they actually earn. The cap attempts to make it as similar as possible, but there is always variance (this is what escrow is for).

That said, working with league and cap percentage is in a way more relevant to the player than the dollar amount signed in a contract, as it is more closely translated to what his real dollars will be.

% of cap is used a lot more in negotiations these days.

Throw More Waffles

Unprecedented Dramatic Overpayments
Oct 9, 2015
you cant include this seasons points for Ehelers, he signed before he played this season so 7yrs x $6M is a player who had a 64 point season and a 38 points season.
At least that shows progression for Ehlers. Nylander didn’t improve in the slightest between years 2 and 3, and then had a humiliating post season.

Reactions: dsred

Walshy7

Sep 18, 2016
Toronto
At least that shows progression for Ehlers. Nylander didn’t improve in the slightest between years 2 and 3, and then had a humiliating post season.

0 improvement? are you a pointzzzzz are the bessssst type guy? it figures. He improved EV scoring by 14 points and 62 games with Matthews as opposed to 75~ and last time I checked 5 on 5 is the majority of the game. I mean sure his post season wasn't great but.

If only nylander scored 40 points in his 1st full season and the 61 this year hed be a better player, stupid post is stupid I expect better from you mate :dunce:

Notsince67

Papi and the Lamplighters
Apr 27, 2018

Whatever % of the cap Ehlers got Nylander should get (as a very close comparable) and because there's an extra 4.5M that means he's going to get more AAV even though his % of cap is the same

Winnipeg were proactive and signed Ehlers a year earlier and because of the cap increase it has paid off for them

There are no encoded rules about a percentage of the cap. An argument can be made but Dubas can argue the other way.

Ori

#Connor Bedard 2023 1st, Chicago Blackhawks
Nov 7, 2014
Norway
.....tick tock
Are they even close to sign that contract? :)
In about one year Leafs will have 7 RFA contracts + 4 UFA. and now they have 13.3 mil $ estimated cap space, and I doubt the cap. will increase that much. I`m refering to cap. friendly and not sure if it`s accurate, but they are usually close. ))

Nineteen67

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Dec 12, 2017

Not every player can get a comparable % of cap. If you pick comparable for every player on your roster, conceivably you could be over 100% of the cap. You can use it as a guideline but not an absolute.

Reactions: ottawa

egd27

Donec nunc annum
Sponsor
Jul 8, 2011
GTA
Look at the % of the cap it was at the time of signing, it's one of the ways teams and agents work out cap hits

I suggest that Crosby's 8.7 cap hit had less to do with the % of cap and much more to do with signing him for life and his number 87.

Ori

#Connor Bedard 2023 1st, Chicago Blackhawks
Nov 7, 2014
Norway
Jeff Gorton should call Kyle D. in Canada - we have future picks and players who want to compete for a Stanley cup, and that`s why ELC contracts are important in NHL. So like Nashville u don`t burn one year of a top talented drafted player like Tolvanen in 2017 so overall cap. don`t become an issue. ;)

Leafsman

I guess $11M doesn't buy you what it use to
May 22, 2008
% of cap is used a lot more in negotiations these days.
Maybe from the players side but no GM is going to consider %of cap as a negotiating strategy.

If players were all based as % of cap, then there would be no cap savings or benefits from cap increases. There will always be players needing to be signed each year, and if salaries go up with the cap then the team would barely benefit, if at all, from cap increases.

I find % of cap discussions only suitable to the truly elite generational players. There is a trickle down effect but no way will a good GM base his salary negotiations on % of cap. Comparables are the best way to judge value.

Mar 14, 2015
giphy.gif

Reactions: Critical91 and glue

biotk

Jan 3, 2017
Buffalo

If the Leafs wanted to base Nylander's salary on the same cap as Ehlers signed under then they should have signed him a year ago.

Brobust

Sep 29, 2017
Meh. This will end up going like Hampus Lindholm's negotiations. The leafs will win this game of chicken and sign him for about $6.5 million by the end of October.

The only thing I find slightly irritating is that Ennis is getting a shot with Matthews and not Kapanen.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad