Leafidelity

Best Sport/Worst League
Apr 6, 2008
Downtown Canada
tenor.gif

Griffin76

May 17, 2014
Nova Scotia
Yeah, doesn’t add anything to the team. We should honestly just hope his play picks up a bit and trade him for some help on the backend.

This team doesn’t need him or his attitude.

What attitude? The guy is like 30 games behind everybody else. Cut him some slack.

Maplebeasts

I See Demons!!!!!
Oct 26, 2014
Barrie, Ontario
It’s ok to admit he’s playing awful. He is. Anyone with at least one working eyeball can see it. It’s to be expected. Trying to say that Nylander is playing ok, makes you seem like a homer that can’t rationally look at things.
I trust numbers more than eyeballs. They aren't prone to bias and paint the entire picture of what's going on on the ice. Do you think people would be using the eye test as a means of discrediting him if say his oish% was even close to average? I would bet not. Truth is most people here look at nothing more than boxscores to evaluate players.

Maplebeasts

I See Demons!!!!!
Oct 26, 2014
Barrie, Ontario
It's craziness that this thread even exists. The guy puts up two great rookie seasons, then suddenly needs to be traded for his bad play and attitude after 7 games when he's trying to get back in to shape when all of the advanced metrics say his low production is unsustainable. It's beyond idiotic.

thewave

Jun 17, 2011
He looks bad.

Can’t argue otherwise.

He didn't look as good last year either. He had a weak PO and scoring was up around the league 8% or so for the top players, maybe more. They didn't even factor in the Goalie equipment changes it seems. This is about as much overpay as the Zaitsev contract, 500-600k although you could probably argue Z is overpaid a cool million tbh.

I put his odds of being traded at about 80%, that's my guess.

authentic

Jan 28, 2015
I trust numbers more than eyeballs. They aren't prone to bias and paint the entire picture of what's going on on the ice. Do you think people would be using the eye test as a means of discrediting him if say his oish% was even close to average? I would bet not. Truth is most people here look at nothing more than boxscores to evaluate players.

To be fair that poster is not wrong, he hasn't played well but as mentioned there is good reason for it. This is right around the time he should be getting it going though so look for him to have a few big games pretty soon here.

Battle Lin

Dec 18, 2015
guys lets not do this, stuff like this is why most of hfboards is annoyed by us, and we do get annoying sometimes

after so many years of losing and horrible teams, we finally have a team full of talent and looking to compete, and willy is a big part of it

Clark4Ever

What we do in hockey echoes in eternity...
Oct 10, 2010
T.O.
He looks like a player that missed training camp and the first 2 months of the season.

He's been steadily improving and the points will come.

Havoc

Jul 25, 2009
For some perspective:

Started the season off saying Kapanen is not a qualified top 6 player.

After a month he got promoted to legit top 6 player but still a tad mediocre because he has no east-west game.

After two months kapanen is now one of our best players on a nightly basis with a full north-south, east-west game.

Nylander missed a lotttttttttttttttttt of time.

Reactions: Blanche Blanche

DitchMarner

It's time.
Jul 21, 2017
Brampton, ON
It's craziness that this thread even exists. The guy puts up two great rookie seasons, then suddenly needs to be traded for his bad play and attitude after 7 games when he's trying to get back in to shape when all of the advanced metrics say his low production is unsustainable. It's beyond idiotic.

I'm not saying he should be traded or that he won't turn it around or isn't skilled or any of that.

I was just remarking that he's not playing to his capabilities, which is certainly understandable given the missed time. I'm not really a big "eye test" person myself, and I didn't look at his advanced stats before posting. He's stuck out to me as not looking like he's in form. If he has good advanced stats, I could have been mistaken about how effective he has actually been.

Edit: Just saw that his SAT % was almost 56% and his SAT % close was more than 61% through his first six games.

JerseyMike34

Dec 29, 2017
I've never been the biggest fan. And I don't like players that sit out.

But I'm curious in the last 10 years or so, who else sat out until December? or late November? And how did they do when they returned? Anything to compare to?

DitchMarner

It's time.
Jul 21, 2017
Brampton, ON
Nylander will get it going. I don't see him comparable to marner since he has lower hockey IQ and is probably one of our worst finishers in terms of goal scoring but he still has high end vision, great at zone entries and has elite skating. He very well could have a poor season like drouin did in his first year on the habs. He will be a leaf for the next 6 years, what matters most is his playoff performances to me. He won't be a 2pt in 7 game player. Once he gets it going he will get 65 ish points with room for 75. His IQ and inability to finish will hold him back from being a truly elite player in y opinion but he is a great complimentary piece right now. I hope he proves me wrong and can turn into a star. I have nothing against him since he signed, really want him to succeed since he is a leaf.

I'm really not sure what you're talking about in regard to his finishing ability. He scored more than 20 goals in each of his first two seasons. I think he has a better shot than Mitch.

lovemyleafs

Jan 23, 2017
He honestly looks fine to me considering he hadn't played in ages. Obviously nowhere as good as he was last year, but that was expected.
I think once he gets his first goal, he'll be back to his old self.

PromisedLand

I need more FOOD
Dec 3, 2016
Hogwarts
for all i care he can continue to SUCK for the entirety of regular season as long as he shows up in the playoffs and help this team's bid for the cup

Reactions: Leafling

Albi34

Feb 14, 2010
He's had a couple good games and a few where he is fighting the puck. Basically what we all expected at this point no? If he's still not caught up by playoffs, then ill worry. He didnt just magically lose his talent that made him a top 3 player on our team the past 2 years

Mr Hockey

Toronto
May 11, 2017
forget about Willie until the last 15 games before playoffs, this seasons a right off for him, its like some of you are personally paying the kid and he deserves to be trolled because he held out.

Blanche Blanche

Torontoooooo
Dec 2, 2017
Toronto
For some perspective:

Started the season off saying Kapanen is not a qualified top 6 player.

After a month he got promoted to legit top 6 player but still a tad mediocre because he has no east-west game.

After two months kapanen is now one of our best players on a nightly basis with a full north-south, east-west game.

Nylander missed a lotttttttttttttttttt of time.

Its true he isn't looking good. But by no means is he an anchor.
His slippery play in the NZ is the most noticable, He draws defenders more than any bottom 6 player and Hyman.
Grabbing the puck in the NZ and bringing it up weaving in is still his forte.

You see the flashes of brilliance, and what he wants to do with the puck... but his body is still not quite there yet.
Good passing, and receiving. Fast edges and good puck handling up the ice ( for the most part ).

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad