Willie Mitchell

Reclamation Project

Cut It All Right In Two
Jul 6, 2011
It has also been speculated that Regehr may also call it a career.With that said if true then add another 3 mil to be freed up.Gaborik and Dean start discussions on a new contact this week.

This would be pretty huge for LA if it does happen. I'm a big Regehr fan, but that would open up a TON of money.

Reclamation Project

Cut It All Right In Two
Jul 6, 2011
With a few exceptions, players being interviewed by the media have rarely ever said otherwise.

i

damacles1156

Feb 5, 2010
It's time to move on from Willie Mitchell, the Blue-Line needs to get younger and faster.

Trolfoli

May 30, 2013
It's time to move on from Willie Mitchell, the Blue-Line needs to get younger and faster.

Don't sugar coat it... tell us how you really feel. :laugh:

While I do agree with this.. just find it hard to think Sutter would like giving up Greene and Mitchell at the same time.

Ziggy Stardust

Master Debater
Jul 25, 2002
Parts Unknown
Mitchell didn't play like a defenseman who was on his last legs. Now in the first three playoff games, every player looked slow and lethargic, but seemed like some guys, including Mitchell, got better and better the further the team advanced.

lumbergh

It was an idea. I didn't say it was a good idea.
Jan 8, 2007
Richmond, VA
One year deal for Mitchell. The Kings will be right up against the salary cap in 2015. The only way Lombardi can keep this thing afloat is by bringing in young guys on the cheap.

Don't get me wrong. I love Willie Mitchell. But the Kings can't keep him for two years.

Herby

Now I can die in peace
Feb 27, 2002
Mullett Lake, MI
One year deal for Mitchell. The Kings will be right up against the salary cap in 2015. The only way Lombardi can keep this thing afloat is by bringing in young guys on the cheap.

Don't get me wrong. I love Willie Mitchell. But the Kings can't keep him for two years.

Article at NHL.com said that Mitchell is looking for 2 years.

I also love Mitchell and hope he returns, but like you said, two years is quite a bit to ask. Especially with a guy who wouldn't be eligible for LTIR if he were to get hurt. The Kings just don't the money to go two years, hopefully Willie understands that. Hopefully he can return for one year to defend the cup.

HYORI 1963

Grit & Character
Jan 20, 2009
Orange County CA

I also love Mitchell and hope he returns, but like you said, two years is quite a bit to ask. Especially with a guy who wouldn't be eligible for LTIR if he were to get hurt. The Kings just don't the money to go two years, hopefully Willie understands that. Hopefully he can return for one year to defend the cup.

I'm actually really surprised that he wants a two year deal. I thought for sure that he'd want one more year to repeat as champs and then retire. I guess he really loves being a king. Can't blame him I guess. I like Willie, but I don't know if I'd want to sign him to a 2 year deal.

deaderhead28

Jul 3, 2010

LA Times reporting it as well.

Willie Mitchell still wants to play, but future with Kings is unknown

http://www.latimes.com/sports/kings...ource=dlvr.it&utm_medium=twitter&dlvrit=53285

damacles1156

Feb 5, 2010
Wouldn't do a two year deal, he is passed the LTIR rule. Him getting injured would screw the cap up on a two year deal.

Move on to a younger player.

onlyalad

The bounce
Jan 13, 2008
This would be pretty huge for LA if it does happen. I'm a big Regehr fan, but that would open up a TON of money.

No it won't ( I think). RR is over 35 so his contract would count against the cap and since he was cleared to play he can't pull a Pronger and go on LTIR.
That is why, Willie's injury history, it would be hard to give him two years. Last time the Kings did that he played less than one. If Kings are losing a stay at home Dman this year, it has to be Greene and/or Mitchell. I bet Greene goes for sure and Willie signs for one year. Willie then becomes an off ice coach after that.

KingCanadain1976

Jul 8, 2009
Thunder Bay Ont. Can
No it won't ( I think). RR is over 35 so his contract would count against the cap and since he was cleared to play he can't pull a Pronger and go on LTIR.
That is why, Willie's injury history, it would be hard to give him two years. Last time the Kings did that he played less than one. If Kings are losing a stay at home Dman this year, it has to be Greene and/or Mitchell. I bet Greene goes for sure and Willie signs for one year. Willie then becomes an off ice coach after that.

according to tsn regher is only 34 beside that i believe its how old you are when u sign your contract. Only those s signed when there over 35 are stuck with there contracts. I could be wrong with the new cba tho

onlyalad

The bounce
Jan 13, 2008
according to tsn regher is only 34 beside that i believe its how old you are when u sign your contract. Only those s signed when there over 35 are stuck with there contracts. I could be wrong with the new cba tho

Glad to be wrong. I am wrong a lot so no need to bookmark this

Reaper45

Jul 14, 2003
Los Angeles
Wouldn't do a two year deal, he is passed the LTIR rule. Him getting injured would screw the cap up on a two year deal.

Move on to a younger player.

Pretty much. Add onto that that Greener thinks the other side is Greener, and Dean's going to have some money to play with during free agency.

Lots of options still to upgrade the d too. Anything is possible and I could see Dean trading any of the following for a young up and coming d man with upside. Richards, Williams, King, and Clifford. Although I think the chances of him moving Rick or Willy is slim but he could be willing to cash in on Williams, who's value is at an all time high, and Richards, who the potential of a rebound is still high with him.

Raccoon Jesus

Todd McLellan is an inside agent
Oct 30, 2008
I.E.
It has also been speculated that Regehr may also call it a career.With that said if true then add another 3 mil to be freed up.Gaborik and Dean start discussions on a new contact this week.

By whom/where? He's 'only' 34 IIRC, that's a bit early unless there's something else behind-the-scenes.

Primakov! made a nice point (I think? correct me if I'm wrong :laugh:) in another thread about guys being competitive on this team and they want to play, may not be comfortable sitting. Willie's quotes seem to suggest as much, as he referencing feeling great and wanting to be the guy on the ice in a key situation and a key PK and the year he doesn't get to do that he'll 'reinvent' himself. If we have healthy Mitchell back, I take him over Regehr and Greene any day of the week. I guess a lot depends on what happens with those three + McNabb having to be on the roster. Dean's gonna have to make a tough call with his loyalty to all these leaders/vets.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad