Willie Mitchell

fsanford

Jul 4, 2009
So what do you guys think? He took by far the longest skate with the cup, kind of like a guy who is thinking about hanging it up after this year.

If so, we owe this guy a huge thanks. LA Kings do not win 2 cup's without a guy like Willie Mitchell.

The Big Giant Head

Mar 27, 2009
So-Cal
My best friend who is a huuuge Mitchell fan, is predicting this and I wouldn't doubt it. He's entering the twilight if his career. Going out on top isn't a bad way to go.

johnjm22

Pseudo Intellectual
Aug 2, 2005
I think Willie LOVES playing the game. If he's still able to play well and contribute, I can't see him walking away.

Thrice

To Be Everywhere...
Sep 27, 2007
Hang it up? The guy played 20:00 minutes a night on the best team in the world.

I don't give a rip how old he is. He can play first pairing for several teams in the NHL even at this advanced age. He'll get a fat retirement contract somewhere other than LA. I'm sure of it.

HYORI 1963

Grit & Character
Jan 20, 2009
Orange County CA
I love how some people still think that money rules everything. If Mitchell plays elsewhere, it'll be because the kings and he decided to go their separate ways, not because another team paid him more money.

I expect Willie to come back for one more year.

Raccoon Jesus

Todd McLellan is an inside agent
Oct 30, 2008
I.E.
I dunno, tough to say. I could see him hanging them up, though I'd love to see him stay around.

He's a pretty active guy so don't underestimate the value of health--the work he put into getting able to play again after missing a season is very telling of a guy who wants to keep playing, but who knows if that's one of those 'last shot' recoveries or a long-term one.

The 29th Pick

Still Alive !
Dec 7, 2007
Northvale N.J.
71eaqt-hgOL._SL1500_.jpg

Our boy has grown up so well, thanks for raising him the right way !

Telos

In Gavrikov We Must Trust
Aug 16, 2008
Reno, NV
Maybe a one year deal, but I have to admit that I wouldn't be too disappointed to see him go. Same with Matt Greene. I think Lombardi has to try to keep one of them, and I think they are warriors that are essential to winning teams, but a part of me wants to see them go and get younger, faster, and cheaper on the blueline. Make a deal and bring in another true 3-4 defender and let Regehr fill the role played by Greene/Mitchell, and promote McNabb.

57special

Posting the right way since 2012.
Sep 5, 2012
MN
Wild would take him back in heartbeat. Could use him to beef up our D. 2@ 3.5-4? The good thing about him is that I don't think he'll demand a long term contract, though I could be wrong.

He would settle down our young (Suter aside) defense.

BigBrown

Fly at eleven.
Feb 2, 2010
Sweden
I sincerely doubt he'll hang 'em up. If anything I wouldn't be surprised if he's looking for a 2 year deal.

MollerManor

Feb 18, 2009
Maybe a one year deal, but I have to admit that I wouldn't be too disappointed to see him go. Same with Matt Greene. I think Lombardi has to try to keep one of them, and I think they are warriors that are essential to winning teams, but a part of me wants to see them go and get younger, faster, and cheaper on the blueline. Make a deal and bring in another true 3-4 defender and let Regehr fill the role played by Greene/Mitchell, and promote McNabb.

This. Right on the mark.

agentfouser

Playoffs?!?!
Nov 30, 2003
Los Angeles
This. Right on the mark.
Yep, absolutely. If we could get a really solid partner for Slava and then give McNabb the shot at playing Regher out of a job, that would be ideal.

I think it's unlikely, though, given cap concerns and the general shortage of top-four defensemen throughout the league. I mean, pretty much every team looks at their roster and says, "We need another top defenseman." Realistically, any defensemen we get will likely be home-grown.

Last edited:

KingCanadain1976

Jul 8, 2009
Thunder Bay Ont. Can
If we could get a replacement better then yes Mitchell leaves but we need that in place before we set him free. My replacement for him would be clitsome from the jets. younger cheaper solid defensively

Unlimited Chequing

Christian Yellow
Jan 29, 2009
Calgary, Alberta
Holy crap, he's 37. I could have sworn he was 32 or 33; he certainly plays like he is. I guess I'm still used to him being on the Canucks "not too long ago" without adding up the years.

I still chuckle about his response to Keenan's illegal stick allegations :laugh:
mitchell.jpg

Last edited:

Face Wash

Mar 17, 2002
Visit site
The Kings will want him back probably for a year, so we'll see if he stays without the 2-year deal he could easily get elsewhere. I'm pretty sure that will be the first thing Lombardi addresses before July 1st. If he doesn't have him locked up before then, I can see them parting ways and giving Greener the 2-year deal.

If Matt Greene did anything in the playoffs, he showed MGMT he can still play his game and that he's sufficiently healed and conditioned following the back surgery. He's always had the right attitude and always kept the locker room loose.

Omni Owl

No fun, only 1-3-1
Mar 9, 2008
I hope he returns, he's a great guy and plays a good game for his age. Hell, he outplayed Voynov for the most part...

Sacha Baron Corbin

Jan 19, 2011
I've already made up my mind that i want no part of Greene next year, but Mitchell is a tough one. I wouldn't be upset with a 1 year deal, but i also wouldn't be upset to move on

etherialone

dialed in your mom
Mar 6, 2008
The Ether
We have Regehr next year.

Willie and Greene are ufas.

So our D next year looks like

Doughty
Muzzin
Voynov
Ragehr
Jazzhands
McNaab

I guess its up to Willie. If he were to want to come back next season for us at his current salary or less then I would be fine with that. Let's us bring McNasty along a little slowly as our #7.

If not then there are other options. Hope Willie sticks around for one more run.

KingsHockey24

Aug 1, 2013
Two year deal probably not happening with the Kings.

Would love him back for one more year though.

This.

It's either going to be

Muzzin-Doughty
Regher-Voynov
Martinez-Mitchell
*McNabb

or

Muzzin-Doughty
Regher-Voynov
Greene-Martinez
*McNabb

HYORI 1963

Grit & Character
Jan 20, 2009
Orange County CA
No... lol

Dean just signed Voynov and Martinez wont be going anywhere soon.

It's either Greene or Mitchell.

Martinez isn't going to hang around here to play 3rd pairing, he's a better dman than that. And as long as DD and VV are both here, Amart will most likely play 3rd pairing. Heck, I wouldn't be surprised if he ended up with some team as first pairing.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad