Willie Mitchell!!!!!!!!!

BallPointHammer

Los Angeles Kings - We're Back!
Oct 25, 2006
Maryland
I wish it wasn't so, but it seems to me that Mitchell is most likely done for. In that case shouldn't the Kings use a compliance buy out? It would be the best and safest option regarding the salary cap issues the team faces. Scuderi would be easier to re-sign and the defense would be the same as last season, assuming Muzzin, Martinez and Ellerby (maybe) are re-signed also.

Regher-Doughty
Scuderi-Voynov
Muzzin-Greene
Martinez
Ellerby (maybe)

That's a solid group. Martinez is better than his performance last season and Ellerby isn't a lost cause at all.

LTIR doesn't seem like the fool proof option either. From what I can gather it might be more of a headache than it's worth. I'd rather have Scuds back for sure and cap space certainy than gamble on Mithchell maybe not at 100% for a full season.

bmr

Jan 23, 2013
I wish it wasn't so, but it seems to me that Mitchell is most likely done for. In that case shouldn't the Kings use a compliance buy out? It would be the best and safest option regarding the salary cap issues the team faces. Scuderi would be easier to re-sign and the defense would be the same as last season, assuming Muzzin, Martinez and Ellerby (maybe) are re-signed also.

Regher-Doughty
Scuderi-Voynov
Muzzin-Greene
Martinez
Ellerby (maybe)

That's a solid group. Martinez is better than his performance last season and Ellerby isn't a lost cause at all.

LTIR doesn't seem like the fool proof option either. From what I can gather it might be more of a headache than it's worth. I'd rather have Scuds back for sure and cap space certainy than gamble on Mithchell maybe not at 100% for a full season.

Easy, tiger..I think it's a bit premature to rule Mitchell out for next year. He's motivated and back skating. I am going to take a more optimistic view that we see him in the lineup.

Reclamation Project

Cut It All Right In Two
Jul 6, 2011
True, but that aside, it would really help his development and put back on a proper trajectory. I question Florida.

Puck U

2012 SC CHAMPIONS !
Aug 2, 2005
Apple Valley, CA.
I think he'd have to clear waivers.

YEP

depends if he signs a 2 way or not

NOPE ... he's played 166 NHL games, he's NOT EXEMPT from Waivers, only thing a 2-way contract would do is provide for two different levels of Salary compensation, one if he's playing in the NHL and one if he's playing in the minors.

Also from CapGeek ...

Keaton Ellerby's qualifying offer is a minimum of $735,000.

Because his base salary of $700,000 is greater than $660,000 and less than $1,000,000, it is increased by 5 percent for the purposes of his qualifying offer.

NOTE: It must be a one-way qualifying offer IF a) the player appeared in 180 or more NHL games in three previous seasons; b) the player appeared in 60 or more NHL games the previous season; and c) the player did not clear waivers during the previous season. Backup goaltender appearances count as games.

CBA REFERENCE: Section 10.2 a (P. 30-31)

DISCLAIMER: Incomplete signing bonus data may lead to inaccurate results via this calculator.

He was close to the 180 @ 166 games, and didn't play 60 (49) games the season before (tough not sure how a SHORTENED season will impact that requirement though ? :huh: if it had been a normal 82 game season, he would have played the minimum 60 games most likely, and thus would have had to be a one-way qualifying offer !)

Ziggy Stardust

Master Debater
Jul 25, 2002
Parts Unknown
Given how hard Mitchell has been pushing his training and his commitment and desire to return (just as we witnessed the first time around when he came back from a concussion when he signed with the Kings) I am not going to doubt Mitchell returning to the Kings in 2013. He'll be back on the ice at some point, and hopefully will be ready to get some games in during the preseason.

Reclamation Project

Cut It All Right In Two
Jul 6, 2011
Given how hard Mitchell has been pushing his training and his commitment and desire to return (just as we witnessed the first time around when he came back from a concussion when he signed with the Kings) I am not going to doubt Mitchell returning to the Kings in 2013. He'll be back on the ice at some point, and hopefully will be ready to get some games in during the preseason.

Exactly. He's done it before and I'll NEVER question the heart of a champion. He wants to be on the team next year so bad.

BallPointHammer

Los Angeles Kings - We're Back!
Oct 25, 2006
Maryland
Easy, tiger..I think it's a bit premature to rule Mitchell out for next year. He's motivated and back skating. I am going to take a more optimistic view that we see him in the lineup.

I got the impression that the injury was career threatening from the start and since then there have been a few cases of - making progress rehabbing but then an abrupt set back causing a revision back to career threatening. That's all.

The thing that fudges this up is the multi-year 35+ contract. Maybe DL should keep those to one year deals in the future.

bmr

Jan 23, 2013
I got the impression that the injury was career threatening from the start and since then there have been a few cases of - making progress rehabbing but then an abrupt set back causing a revision back to career threatening. That's all.

The thing that fudges this up is the multi-year 35+ contract. Maybe DL should keep those to one year deals in the future.

Something tells me that the first surgery didn't really go as planned. I know he received doctor's clearance and all that, but maybe it took an additional surgery and some rehab to get him feeling better again. Tough to say, but he sure looks good skating.

KingsFan7824

Dec 4, 2003
Visit site

When it was signed, Mitchell was in the lineup. If you don't give him that 2nd year, maybe he doesn't re-sign, which, at the time, wouldn't have gone over well.

The only way the Kings got him the first time was by giving him a 2nd year, with more money overall. I think Washington and San Jose were in the mix too, but they were probably offering 1 year at $4 million, or something like that. The Kings were willing to take a chance for that 2nd year, and maybe a little desperate after the Kovalchuk stuff, which is why he signed with the Kings.

Reclamation Project

Cut It All Right In Two
Jul 6, 2011
Keep the good vibes coming people!

6769214.bin.jpeg

I believe!

Tatsdzyuk

wet fish
Mar 11, 2007
LA
YEP

NOPE ... he's played 166 NHL games, he's NOT EXEMPT from Waivers, only thing a 2-way contract would do is provide for two different levels of Salary compensation, one if he's playing in the NHL and one if he's playing in the minors.

Does that include playoffs?

CNS

A World Alone
May 24, 2008
The Mayor John Hoven ‏@mayorNHL 1m
Again, full quotes later, but Lombardi was talking very positively about the possibility of @Willie_Mitch33 returning to #LAKings nxt season

The Mayor John Hoven ‏@mayorNHL 35s
Dean in a good mood today too, even joked that his trainers had guaranteed him @Willie_Mitch33 would play 80 games next season.

All hail the Willie, the savior of our D. We have missed your greatness dearly.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad